OFF-TOPIC IS NOT FOR MOVIES/TV

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Re: OFF-TOPIC IS NOT FOR MOVIES/TV

Post by wautd »

Just make a separate MOVIES/TV forum and any problems regarding ambiguity will be solved
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

wautd wrote: 2019-05-27 03:48am Just make a separate MOVIES/TV forum and any problems regarding ambiguity will be solved
Except that if we put all movies/TV there, it would pretty nearly kill the Sci-fi and Fantasy forums.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-05-27 03:56am
wautd wrote: 2019-05-27 03:48am Just make a separate MOVIES/TV forum and any problems regarding ambiguity will be solved
Except that if we put all movies/TV there, it would pretty nearly kill the Sci-fi and Fantasy forums.
Except that most movies and TV shows are neither scif-fi or fantasy
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Nah, my point is that if we put all movies and TV shows in their own forum, and all the sci-fi and fantasy movies would go there, and it would leave the sci-fi and fantasy forums with almost no content. Most movies and shows may not be sci-fi or fantasy, but most of the sci-fi and fantasy forums is movies and shows.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Indeed. Which, on one level, fine; we've had forum reorganizations before, but this one seems pretty unnecessary.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

wautd wrote: 2019-05-27 04:55am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-05-27 03:56am
Except that most movies and TV shows are neither scif-fi or fantasy
Is that still true if you limit it to movies and TV shows that get discussed here ?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

bilateralrope wrote: 2019-05-27 02:31pmIs that still true if you limit it to movies and TV shows that get discussed here ?
In that case, why not continue to post them in here as we've done for years?
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Jub wrote: 2019-05-27 02:42pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2019-05-27 02:31pmIs that still true if you limit it to movies and TV shows that get discussed here ?
In that case, why not continue to post them in here as we've done for years?
What was wrong with my previous answer to your question ?
You know, the answer you replied to.

If you're posting about movies in off topic, what do you think gets put in Sci-Fi or Fantasy ?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

bilateralrope wrote: 2019-05-28 06:52pmWhat was wrong with my previous answer to your question ?

If you're posting about movies in off topic, what do you think gets put in Sci-Fi or Fantasy ?
Your example wouldn't even be solved by this change. You'd still have had to check 3 forums to find the Sonic movie thread and once you've posted in it once remembering where it was shouldn't be challenging for anybody not mentally deficient.

So once, again I ask, why not keep on as we've been doing since this forum opened?
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

It honestly doesn't really matter how we decide to triage the forum topics; there are ALWAYS going to be examples that are ambiguous enough with respect to genre that you will have you to check a couple different forums to figure out where people are discussing it. Which ... come on, SDN is NOT that active these days, it takes like 10 seconds.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Jub wrote: 2019-05-28 08:29pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2019-05-28 06:52pmWhat was wrong with my previous answer to your question ?

Your example wouldn't even be solved by this change. You'd still have had to check 3 forums to find the Sonic movie thread and once you've posted in it once remembering where it was shouldn't be challenging for anybody not mentally deficient.

So once, again I ask, why not keep on as we've been doing since this forum opened?
Ok. Do you care do answer my question of what do you think gets put in Sci-Fi or Fantasy ? without an appeal to tradition ?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

bilateralrope wrote: 2019-06-01 06:51pmOk. Do you care do answer my question of what do you think gets put in Sci-Fi or Fantasy ? without an appeal to tradition ?
Properties that are clearly sci-fi or fantasy. NBSG would go in sci-fi. GoT goes in fantasy. Sonic and TBBT go in OT where we've put tweeners since 2002. This isn't hard for anybody with half a brain.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

TBBT goes to OT. Sonic goes to FAN. The vast majority of superhero comics have magic/superhero physics mixed up with technology. Guess where they go?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Batman wrote: 2019-06-01 08:00pm TBBT goes to OT. Sonic goes to FAN. The vast majority of superhero comics have magic/superhero physics mixed up with technology. Guess where they go?
According to Tevar TBBT is also Fantasy, so...
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

She says SciFi/FAN, not FAN. And I've already established I disagree with her. I also already stated I'm fine with this being in OT or starting a separate TV/movie subforum for NOT FAN/SCIFI stuff
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Yeah, some clarity from the modspace really wouldn't go astray here.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

How about

"Other Fiction" - A Forum for all other fiction that does not belong in Sci-Fi or Fantasy.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Given the size of the forum and the amount traffic it's probably time to consolidate the number of forums we have rather than creating more that split out stuff from existing forums.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Suggestion: If you want to start a movie discussion thread and you're not sure where it should go, just PM a mod and ask.

That way:
- You get a clear answer in writing for your own case
- You might build social capital with the mod team for being conscientious
- If there's definitely a problem with the rules, it will become obvious to the mods fielding the questions, and instead of hypothetical discussions, those questions will be concrete evidence that the mods can weigh in deciding whether to create or consolidate forums
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Jub wrote: 2019-06-01 07:18pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2019-06-01 06:51pmOk. Do you care do answer my question of what do you think gets put in Sci-Fi or Fantasy ? without an appeal to tradition ?
Properties that are clearly sci-fi or fantasy. NBSG would go in sci-fi. GoT goes in fantasy. Sonic and TBBT go in OT where we've put tweeners since 2002. This isn't hard for anybody with half a brain.
Have posters really been doing that since 2002 ?
Sure, they started doing it that way. But did it continue ?
One topic from each year since 2002 would be enough proof for me. But since it's your claim, you can go find them.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Everyone shut up.

Tev is right, in that we do have specific forums to discuss specific topics. You are more than welcome to start discussions there. Anything else is probably fine for OT, but if you are not sure where to start a topic, try asking someone first.

That being said, the lawyering in this thread has seriously rustled my jimmies and I am now locking it.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.