Emperor's Hand

Facebook down in areas worldwide

Post by FaxModem1 »

The Verge
Facebook and Instagram are down for some users around the world
While you can open the apps, they’re missing major functions
By Shannon Liao@Shannon_Liao Mar 13, 2019, 1:17pm EDT

Photo by Amelia Holowaty Krales / The Verge
Facebook and Instagram appear to be partially down for some users around the world today. While you can open both platforms, it looks like you can’t send or receive messages on either platform, and you can’t post new content either.

WhatsApp appeared to be fine for many people, but users in Paraguay, India, Bangladesh, Argentina, and more note that they are experiencing issues with sending messages. DownDetector indicates that those in Brazil were experiencing the most severe outages.

We tested multiple accounts at The Verge, and found that Messenger couldn’t load at all on desktop, although the mobile app was working. Instagram was worse: posts weren’t loading, Instagram Stories were down, and direct messages and the button to post new content were also not working. Facebook’s ad section was not functioning either, and it led to an internal error when you tried to buy an ad.

About an hour after users noted the outage, Facebook responded on Twitter. It also noted that “the issue is not related to a DDoS attack.”

Facebook

@facebook
We’re aware that some people are currently having trouble accessing the Facebook family of apps. We’re working to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

12:49 PM - Mar 13, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
17.5K people are talking about this

Instagram on desktop as of 1PM ET.
According to DownDetector, it looks like the outages are mainly in New England; Texas; Seattle, Washington; parts of Latin America, including Peru; the UK; India; and the Philippines. Users have written in from Canada, Las Vegas, and Turkey to note outages there as well. We’ve reached out to Facebook and Instagram to learn more.

It now looks like Oculus is also down. One user in California wrote in to The Verge, “Nobody can log in to any multiplayer games purchased through the Oculus store. They also can’t access their Oculus Home environments.” Users also reported being unable to buy games from the Oculus store.

Oculus Support

@OculusSupport
We’re aware that some people are currently having trouble accessing and using Oculus. We’re working to resolve the issue as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience while we work through this.

4:08 PM - Mar 13, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
17 people are talking about this
Other users noted that attempting to use Facebook to sign into apps like Tinder or Spotify wasn’t working either. Attempting to do so would bring up an error saying this feature isn’t available right now. If you were already signed into Spotify, it appears that your login is still valid, but once you sign out, you’ll be unable to get back in.

Makena Kelly and Esther Cohen contributed to this report.

Update March 13th, 2:08PM ET: This article has been updated with further details and comment from Facebook. It now appears that WhatsApp is also down for some users.

Update March 13th, 4:05PM ET: Some users have reported Oculus is also down and that the feature for authenticating logins through Facebook is down.
So, thoughts on this? Aside from people being unable to communicate with people in the affected areas, or vice versa. Since I'm in Texas, this has made me unable to talk with a lot of my online friends.

Anyone else having trouble?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Facebook down in areas worldwide

Post by Broomstick »

Yep.

I can open the app, but the functions are spotty and no messages.

Since I don't live on Facebook it's a minor irritant to me. For other people it's a Very Big Deal.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Facebook is down? Who'll spread the racist memes!?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Working for me as well as it ever does. It's developed an odd habit of only showing me one post recently. And then not recording when I've read messages.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-03-13 06:52pm Facebook is down? Who'll spread the racist memes!?
Reddit.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

InsaneTD wrote: 2019-03-13 09:48pm
Gandalf wrote: 2019-03-13 06:52pm Facebook is down? Who'll spread the racist memes!?
Reddit.
4 and 8-chan. Twitter. DeviantArt. Some parts of Tumbler and Instagram...
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

I think most people here have a narrow look at how bad this outage is. Many places, particularly in non western countries, rely on FB applications for communications and business. Even in the west, FB for business is making inroads, this isn't an event whose only impact is slowly the spread of memes.

My feed is entirely tankie and libertarians so for all I know, racism is gone ;)
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Glorious.

Online is overrated.

People can try to go back to real lives from the escapist meme-consumption.

Oh, looks pretty drab like that Nebuchandezzar ship in the Matrix? Well sorry, CAPITALISM.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Had to talk to my wife yesterday. She seems nice, might keep her.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I didn't even know until my brother got home from work and mentioned it.
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

Imperial528 wrote: 2019-03-14 08:27pm I didn't even know until my brother got home from work and mentioned it.
I don't use it at all (deactivated my account) so I was totally unaffected. :D
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.