RAR! Make the Fyre Festival a Success

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

amigocabal
Jedi Knight

RAR! Make the Fyre Festival a Success

Post by amigocabal »

I recently watched the Netlfix documentary about the Fyre Festival, a failed music festival in Great Exuma, the Bahamas.

So here is a challenge.

It is October of 2016.

How would you plan the Festival to be a success? Here are the restrictions.
  • The festival site must be in the Bahamas (though not necessarily on Great Exuma)
How can this fesitval be a success?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz5kY3RsmKo
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: RAR! Make the Fyre Festival a Success

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Does "offer everything" include the lineup? Because, well, I never heard of most of the acts playing there, except for Blink 182, and I think that's part of the problem.

Great Exuma is also a bit out of the way, so I would move the festival to Nassau or Freeport.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2019-01-30 07:36pm Does "offer everything" include the lineup? Because, well, I never heard of most of the acts playing there, except for Blink 182, and I think that's part of the problem.

Great Exuma is also a bit out of the way, so I would move the festival to Nassau or Freeport.
"Offer everything" does not include the lineup.

One thing I woild do is set the date for spring 2018. This would give plenty of time to scout sites and search for caterers, transport companies, etc.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

That's not a bad idea. I'd bring in acts people would actually pay good money to see, even if I don't like them, and a plus if they were at least native to the Carribean, if not to the Bahamas themselves. Which would mean lots of acts like Jimmy Cliff, as well as Rihanna(not a big fan of her music*, but she will put asses in seats).

*though her cover of "Darlin' Nikki" is highly recommended
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

More hookers & blow, and an orgy beach.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

aerius wrote: 2019-01-30 08:15pm More hookers & blow, and an orgy beach.
That the organizers can't do. Legally, at least. :lol:
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The promised event was impossible at the price point being offered. It was a scam end to end, though maybe more of a scam then the scam artist behind it intended. It just ended up extra bad because of bad timing, not only did it not have enough time to ever have gotten organized but another major event on the island was renting out many services. People they were hiring were quitting within days because it was so obviously not feasible. The only way this is going to happen is if it was held on the US mainland somewhere cheap, and with at least several extra months of planning, at which point I do not think you can argue it's the Fyre Festival.
U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2019-01-30 07:36pm Great Exuma is also a bit out of the way, so I would move the festival to Nassau or Freeport.
But one of the reasons to use that island was because land was very cheap but it has lots of beaches. A much more populated tourist destination would have a much higher price point for exclusive use of a large tract of land. Nassau is almost entirely urbanized and has lots of rocks. Which is related, the rocky islands tend to be a little more survivable in hurricanes which is part of how they got to be more developed historically.

I mean one big alternative would just be to stage the event at a major sea side hotel with it's own beach that already has all the required facilities, then you just have to bring in music guests and chefs. But that kind of environment isn't what was being promised. This certainly would have been cheaper and perhaps even viable to stage at a hotel in Florida, but would people want to attend? Doubtful it'd have anywhere near the same appeal.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

#1: Phone my uncle, who works in the field of corporate event management (albeit not normally on this sort of scale) and see if he's available himself or can recommend someone else who's done this sort of thing before.

#2: Follow the festival's newly appointed Event Manager's instructions to the letter, because they are an experienced professional who actually has a clue what the fuck they are doing.

#3: Conspicuously refrain from cocking everything up from a combination of inexperience, hubris and the sunk-cost fallacy as a result of the first two steps, because I am not an arrogant little tit who thinks he knows it all.

#4: Profit.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog