CIMON, please open the bay doors

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

CIMON, please open the bay doors

Post by J »

I'm sorry Gerst, I'm afraid I can't do that...

I didn't know they had a blinky sphere AI on the ISS.
We are one step closer to HAL 9000 in space!
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: CIMON, please open the bay doors

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

How does it stay up?
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-11-30 02:08pm How does it stay up?
The effective gravity* in Columbus (the ESA lab) is about two to three microgravities (or about ten to twenty milimeters per second squared), meaning that the fans used for attitude hold would be sufficient to counter any gravity-caused drift.

*Objects are only in total free fall relative to the station if they are at the station's center of mass - otherwise they are in an orbit that is ever so slightly off of that of the station, and experience an effective gravity relative to the station. The magnitude of this effective gravity is determined by how far away the object is from this center, and in what direction (a meter toward the overhead section, or toward the floor has the same effect as something like five meters forward, aft, or to either side) - and the center of the station (by mass) is IIRC, somewhere in Destiny (the US Lab), it does change slightly however as craft visit or leave the station.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Derr. Garsh, Mickey, I done had a brain fart. Too much going on. Thanks, TimothyC.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford