Recommendations Good Histories on the Manhattan Project?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Caiaphas
Padawan Learner

Recommendations Good Histories on the Manhattan Project?

Post by Caiaphas »

What it says in the title, basically. I'm already planning on going through the Smyth Report/Atomic Energy for Military Purposes, Hewlett and Anderson's The New World 1939/1946, and Reed's The History and Science of the Manhattan Project once I can dig up a copy, but I was wondering if there was anything else that goes through the topic in some detail.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Re: Recommendations Good Histories on the Manhattan Project?

Post by Raesene »

Richard Rhodes wrote several books about the development of nuclear weapons during the last 70 years, but the ones you listed already sound more advanced than his works.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: Recommendations Good Histories on the Manhattan Project?

Post by Sea Skimmer »

https://history.army.mil/html/books/011 ... _11-10.pdf
This is one place to start, official US army history of the program, though being written in 1984 some information was still classified that is not now. But it also covers all aspects of the project in at least some detail, which most independent histories do not.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956