Could the LHC destroy the Earth?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

FancyDarcy
Youngling

Could the LHC destroy the Earth?

Post by FancyDarcy »

I just read some alarming news today, apparently the LHC could create strangelets or shrink the Earth and create a black hole, or even tear the fabric of the universe.

This sounds pretty freaky especially as I just dreamt of the world ending last night, is anyone else worried about this? I heard some discussion on this subject years ago, but never thought much of it until now, as it's behind posted on the mainstream media now.

https://www.sciencealert.com/cosmologis ... ts-lhc/amp

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/ ... erator/amp

What's going on? Have the scientists of the LHC just discovered a cataclysm coming our way? I've noticed this just happened after the FBI sent armed men and helicopters over to a solar observatory apparently because they found CP on the janitors computer. I mean, that sounds a bit excessive, they even shot shut down the local post office.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Re: Could the LHC destroy the Earth?

Post by AniThyng »

The answers to your questions in the form of rebuttals from CERN are literally given to you in both your articles.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
FancyDarcy
Youngling

Post by FancyDarcy »

AniThyng wrote: 2018-10-02 02:12am The answers to your questions in the form of rebuttals from CERN are literally given to you in both your articles.
I read those, but what if they're covering something up? It just seems so unusual and ominous that media would start reporting this out of the blue. What if Lord Martin knew something he wasn't allowed to tell us? I dreamed last night of the sun rising in the West and suddenly the Earth being crushed and annihilated but I can't remember most of it.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

You're a bit late for that panic. It's already been running for years with no problems.
FancyDarcy
Youngling

Post by FancyDarcy »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-10-02 02:48am You're a bit late for that panic. It's already been running for years with no problems.
It's not the old panic, it's all this fresh bread that's bothering me. Is possible that they've been "brewing" strangelets or a black hole for a few years all this time whilst they thought they'd be able to keep it under control, but perhaps it got out of control and now it's going to explore and consume everything in some time?

I mean, otherwise I don't understand all this fresh drama. It's honestly pretty frightening, the guy mentioning this is a leading scientist, one of the best of the best. If he doesn't know what he's talking about, does anyone?
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

It's apparent you don't.

Like Pope once observed, a deeper dive into the pool of knowledge is all that's necessary to calm you.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Something I heard a few years ago was that the collisions they are creating in the LHC happen in the upper atmosphere all the time.

As for all this new panic, it looks like Martin Rees is doing so for his own profit. Because the panic he is whipping up will sell copies of his book.
Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Post by Sky Captain »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-10-02 04:28am Something I heard a few years ago was that the collisions they are creating in the LHC happen in the upper atmosphere all the time.
Yeah, cosmic rays bombard atmosphere all the time often with energies orders of magnitude greater than particle accelerators can reach. If something catastrophic involving particle accelerator could happen it already would have happened long time ago in nature.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Sky Captain wrote: 2018-10-03 11:43am
bilateralrope wrote: 2018-10-02 04:28am Something I heard a few years ago was that the collisions they are creating in the LHC happen in the upper atmosphere all the time.
Yeah, cosmic rays bombard atmosphere all the time often with energies orders of magnitude greater than particle accelerators can reach. If something catastrophic involving particle accelerator could happen it already would have happened long time ago in nature.
It's always good to remember that our planet, mundane as it seems, is still a part of a really big universe that's got a LOT of energy going on all around and through it. We've a VERY long ways to go before we get anywhere near the sheer amount of pure sunlight that hits the Earth every day, for example. The LHC is impressive, but in terms of even planetary energy levels, it's barely a blip.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Except as fodder for half-baked psuedoscience conspiracy hypothoses.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

This seems like a sockpuppet account
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Sea Skimmer wrote: 2018-10-05 05:26pm This seems like a sockpuppet account
It's literally a sock of Archinist, but I guess he's not made enough noise to be given the boot again so far. I don't mind tbh, he's a bit of wacky fun.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)