Crazy Rich Asians

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Crazy Rich Asians

Post by ray245 »

It's interesting to see Hollywood feature Asian actors in leading roles instead of supporting roles. However, this film is not without its share of controversy, particular in regards to its representation of non-Chinese in Singapore as well as casting a mixed, British-Malaysian actor in the main role.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Re: Crazy Rich Asians

Post by Raw Shark »

This just seems like the latest permutation of the "My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding" sub-genre. They'll do African and Inuit next, and then churn out re-hashes or, in an ideal world, abandon the concept entirely.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Well the movie is based on the novel of the same name by a Singaporean author, who published it in 2013. I remember seeing this at the airport bookshop. So I can't accuse Hollywood of rehashing things here. Not sure if I want to see it though.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The 'marriage between two different families and ensuing drama' plot is pretty old. Father of the Bride, anybody? Romeo and Juliet?

This is just another variation on the theme. The only thing that'll really sink it or save it is how good the actors and the writing are. That, and whether the... I don't know what a good Asian equivalent of 'Anglosphere' is. Sinosphere? Anyway, whether the Asian market embraces it.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

The genre isn't that popular anymore , especially after the Pan Asian wave has gone by so I doubt this movie will set any records.

Still, the book was supposedly quite good....
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-04-27 12:44pm The 'marriage between two different families and ensuing drama' plot is pretty old. Father of the Bride, anybody? Romeo and Juliet?

This is just another variation on the theme. The only thing that'll really sink it or save it is how good the actors and the writing are. That, and whether the... I don't know what a good Asian equivalent of 'Anglosphere' is. Sinosphere? Anyway, whether the Asian market embraces it.
https://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/ ... ffice.html

The launch of “Crazy Rich Asians,” starring Constance Wu as a Chinese American woman who travels to Singapore to meet her boyfriend’s uber-rich family, also marks the biggest opening for a romantic comedy since “Trainwreck’s” $30 million launch in 2015.

And the Warner Bros. movie’s box-office success can be directly attributed to enthusiasm among moviegoers of Asian descent, as the demographic, which usually comprises 6 percent of U.S.-Canada ticket sales, accounted for a whopping 38 percent for “Crazy Rich Asians.” By comparison, Caucasians made up 41 percent of ticket sales for the film, Latinos 11 percent and African American 6 percent.
Still not going to watch it, but it is interesting to see how well this does.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.