Moderator: Edi

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Australia apparently not a country

Post by mr friendly guy »

I could do with a good laugh

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry ... 726e1305ad
Professor Didn’t Think Australia Was A Country, Almost Failed Student Who Pushed Back
"Australia is a continent; not a country," the teacher reportedly said.

By Elyse Wanshel

Southern New Hampshire University has fired a professor for a glaring mistake, the school has confirmed to HuffPost.

The educator, whose name has been kept private, almost gave a student a failing grade on an assignment because she refused to believe that Australia is a country, despite the student’s insistence that it is, BuzzFeed reports.

The student, Ashley Arnold, a 27-year-old working toward an online sociology degree, approached BuzzFeed after the professor refused to listen to her.

“We deeply regret the interaction between our professor and our student and have apologized to the student and refunded her for the class,” the school told HuffPost. “Following an investigation, we have replaced the instructor as we strive to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and accuracy in educating our students.”

The university also publicly apologized in a tweet:

Arnold said her assignment was to compare a social norm between the United States and another country. She chose Australia, and was “shocked” when she received a failing grade because her professor believed “Australia is a continent; not a country.”

In response to the grade, Arnold wrote her professor an email with references from the school’s library that stated that Australia was both a continent and a country.

The professor, however, wasn’t convinced. She replied that she would “gladly re-examine” her project, but stood firmly by her belief that Australia was not a country.

“I want you to understand that any error in a project can invalidate the entire research project,” the professor told Arnold in her email. “Research is like dominoes, if you accidentally knock over one piece the entire set will also fall.”

Arnold responded to her teacher’s email, providing a link from the “about Australia” section of the country’s government website.

The professor responded again, saying she would review her assignment after she did some “independent research.”

Arnold eventually received a grade of B+ on her project, but had also filed a report with the university about the issue, resulting in the professor’s termination.
Don't worry, in Australia we have professors who say Hong Kong isn't part of China.... in 2017. :D So there are some professors who might or may be good in their fields, but they are so ignorant on others.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: Australia apparently not a country

Post by Tribble »

If she had picked Canada this wouldn't have been a problem; we've been told we're not a real country many times by our southern neighbour, so it must be true :P
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Tribble wrote: 2018-03-07 09:38am If she had picked Canada this wouldn't have been a problem; we've been told we're not a real country many times by our southern neighbour, so it must be true :P
Only because you're so darn accommodating! :D
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

In fairness, it's not so much a country as it is the place where natural selection went on a meth-fueled bender and got into some weord, depraved shit for a while.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Australia hasn't been a country since Curtain tuned the keys over to MacArthur back in WWII. It's now the Far Eastern United States.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Tribble wrote: 2018-03-07 09:38am If she had picked Canada this wouldn't have been a problem; we've been told we're not a real country many times by our southern neighbour, so it must be true :P
That's because your southern neighbor has wanted you to be the Great White Northern United States since 1776, and has tried to make that through foul means or fouler.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Meh, private schools. Not to say this can't happen in public/state schools, but you tend to get more people there who have a basic grasp of reality.
Tribble wrote: 2018-03-07 09:38amIf she had picked Canada this wouldn't have been a problem; we've been told we're not a real country many times by our southern neighbour, so it must be true :P
We're still mad about that time you guys burned down the White House.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

You guys are state 51. Y'all just don't know it. ;)
_____
So it was just an adjunct professor or otherwise a poorly paid teacher who's now been let go like a wet dog. Meh. I mean seriously, pride and admitting you're wrong to a student matters less than the job. Too bad it wasn't Africa.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

TheFeniX wrote: 2018-03-07 02:08pm Meh, private schools. Not to say this can't happen in public/state schools, but you tend to get more people there who have a basic grasp of reality.
Tribble wrote: 2018-03-07 09:38amIf she had picked Canada this wouldn't have been a problem; we've been told we're not a real country many times by our southern neighbour, so it must be true :P
We're still mad about that time you guys burned down the White House.
There was that whole Sack of York thing...
Numa
Redshirt

Post by Numa »

Incidents like this are regrettable. They reduce the credibility of all online sociology degrees, and damage the industries that rely on the skilled labour they produce.
CetaMan
Youngling

Post by CetaMan »

Why am I not surprised. Its crap like this that damages the image of educators in general, which especially in the US needs help anyway. (At least compared to here)