You Know You Fail As an Athlete, When...

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

You Know You Fail As an Athlete, When...

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: You Know You Fail As an Athlete, When...

Post by Broomstick »

What, exactly, is the dope used for improving performance in curling? Eating more haggis?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Honestly maybe something to calm nerves or help consentrate as IIRC curling isn't just randomly swinging a broom about and there's skill involved in it.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Broomstick wrote: 2018-02-19 06:11pm What, exactly, is the dope used for improving performance in curling? Eating more haggis?
Eating any amount of haggis is likely to not improve one's performance in curling, or life in general.

I noticed Atholl's household didn't serve that to the royal party in the Victoria episode "The King Over the Water. "
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

The broom is used to clean up the curling rink(?!) to improve traction for the stones being slid across it.

Kinda like shuffleboard except played with heavy-ass stones on the ice.
Aleister Crowley
Redshirt

Post by Aleister Crowley »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-02-19 10:42pm The broom is used to clean up the curling rink(?!) to improve traction for the stones being slid across it.

Sometimes I feel like the word insanity really doesn't apply to individuals, but whole groups of people. Who in their right mind would make up a sport where you push heavy rocks across ice? Or whack a ball with a very long and flat bat? Or hit a ball into a small hole that just so happens to be arranged with a sandpit and a small pond nearby? Or a game where you run around four white squares to get to a pentagon? Or two men beating the hell out of each other in a roped off area.

Call me crazy, but a lot of sport just seems like the ravings of a madman.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Because watching humans in good competition is amazing. It shows the best and worst of humanity, provides fantastic drama, and can be just plain entertaining.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Aleister Crowley wrote: 2018-02-21 03:17am
U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-02-19 10:42pm The broom is used to clean up the curling rink(?!) to improve traction for the stones being slid across it.

Sometimes I feel like the word insanity really doesn't apply to individuals, but whole groups of people. Who in their right mind would make up a sport where you push heavy rocks across ice? Or whack a ball with a very long and flat bat? Or hit a ball into a small hole that just so happens to be arranged with a sandpit and a small pond nearby? Or a game where you run around four white squares to get to a pentagon? Or two men beating the hell out of each other in a roped off area.

I mean, chess is a purely arbitrary game. The pieces and their movements bear no resemblance to anything in real life, to anything other than themselves. There are any number of other, similar-but-different rulesets that would be just as "good." There is no rational justification for why knights move the way they do, or pawns. They are, literally, arbitrary.

And this doesn't matter. Chess is a valid and useful and positive game that encourages logical thinking and intellect and so on, and it's interesting- legitimately so. The arbitrary rules do not exist for the sake of some objective 'good,' they exist to define a field of competition upon which contestants can strive against one another, and through which the emergent subtleties of human interaction can unfold.

The point of the seemingly purposeless action is not the action. The point is to define an arbitrary framework within which a competition can occur according to defined, agreed-upon rules.

This is equally true of curling, cricket, golf, baseball, and boxing as it is of chess. The only difference is that people's bodies are engaged as well as their minds.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

So far only the results of the A-sample are known.
There is a chance of a false-positive and until the B-Sample has been tested this should not have been published IMO.

I am not familiar with the procedures, but the A-sample would be tested with fast and cheap tests that tend towards false-positives.
Then if a positive result is found a more exact testing method (slower, more expensive but also more reliable to create correct results) would be used on the B-Sample.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Aleister Crowley wrote: 2018-02-21 03:17am

I don't know. I watched last night's women's curling match between US and Sweden, and it was pretty intense.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

tezunegari wrote: 2018-02-22 05:06am So far only the results of the A-sample are known.
There is a chance of a false-positive and until the B-Sample has been tested this should not have been published IMO.

I am not familiar with the procedures, but the A-sample would be tested with fast and cheap tests that tend towards false-positives.
Then if a positive result is found a more exact testing method (slower, more expensive but also more reliable to create correct results) would be used on the B-Sample.
That's because he was a Rooskie.

Were he an 'Murican, the US media would contend he was set up til the end of time. Or at least the next news cycle.