Germanic mythic creatures and monsters?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Germanic mythic creatures and monsters?

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

For our 7th Sea campaign, I'm playing a Germanic not-Witcher monster hunter. Can anyone point me to a decent source of European mythic creatures and monsters, particularly Germanic ones? I'm also looking for mountain-dwelling German monsters specifically.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: Germanic mythic creatures and monsters?

Post by Tribble »

Krampus! Lol
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Specifically Germanic stuff is a bit hard to come by. Viking stories will have some. You're going to see a lot of overlap with Nordic stuff because that's the best preserved pre-Christian mythology we have from Europe, English/French Celtic stuff aside. Most basic mythology books that manage to get around all the cliche Greco-Roman stuff is going to mention a few critters. There's always good ol Grimm, but the origins of those stories are largely medieval and post-Christian, so your mileage may vary; the Grimms' scholarship wasn't always the best either.

Wiki might be a place to start: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... _creatures

As noted, Krampus is a thing. Kobolds are originally German and are more like pixies or elves than the little baby gator lizards they are in DnD. Drudes are a variety of malevolent spirit. Frau Holde seems to be some sort of forest or agricultural goddess. There's lots of corn-spirits, apparently.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-02-15 05:39pm As noted, Krampus is a thing. Kobolds are originally German and are more like pixies or elves than the little baby gator lizards they are in DnD. Drudes are a variety of malevolent spirit. Frau Holde seems to be some sort of forest or agricultural goddess. There's lots of corn-spirits, apparently.
One thing to remember, "CORN" in this case refers to wheat and barley, not the Native American Maize "Corn".
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: 2018-02-15 02:07pm For our 7th Sea campaign, I'm playing a Germanic not-Witcher monster hunter. Can anyone point me to a decent source of European mythic creatures and monsters, particularly Germanic ones? I'm also looking for mountain-dwelling German monsters specifically.

Go read the brother's grimm, the thidrekssaga and the Nibelungen.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Rübezahl, of course.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali