Chang Jiang 750 Restoration

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: Chang Jiang 750 Restoration

Post by Sea Skimmer » 2018-10-19 04:33am

Cool to see this thing has gotten rideable! Now make sure it doesn't turn you into an organ donor, because nobody I know needs any of them right now.
LaCroix wrote:
2018-10-15 07:54am
Wiring like this is called "Technicolor wiring" - Don't bother with being able to trace them, just make it as colorful as you can. You know which wire you pulled through last, and what are the chances anyone will ever have to fix anything you did?
You should see some of the stuff I found in my house when I moved in... with the bonus of fireproof seething having been pulled over some of it so you can't even SEE the mismatched colors without cutting into that. But technicolor wiring though is a great way to reuse old wire you have laying around everywhere, thus saving upwards of pennies of new wire and reducing waste, thus reducing global warming, and thus saving the polar bears!

Obviously polar bear habit is always the top priority with wiring internal combustion vehicles.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956

LaCroix
Sith Marauder

Post by LaCroix » 2018-10-20 07:28pm

Sea Skimmer wrote:
2018-10-19 04:33am

You should see some of the stuff I found in my house when I moved in...
Don't remind me - the last house had some well hidden built-in onions in the breaker box... Every time i opend the door to look in, I started crying...

But yeah... For polar bears!
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.

Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto » 2018-10-26 07:51am

Well, Monday gone I took the bike to an appointment with the engineer. Longest trip yet, a 1/2 hour drive. Decided to take the country roads rather than the highway, to avoid traffic.
Wasn't necessarily the best decision, as I hadn't really considered that those country roads take me through a couple of significant country suburbs.
None the less she came through flawlessly, if you ignore the part where turning left at some traffic lights I forgot how wide I was now and stalled out trying to mount the curb. :roll:

Engineers are fusspots, aren't they? He looked over and approved the work I did fulfilling his list of requirements, and then he went and gave me another list! Rider's mirror's too small (something he could have mentioned before, when I was ordering the bloody sidecar mirror), handbrake needs to be attached to the frame, secure loose wiring, etc, etc

I also noticed on the ride up that the sidecar mudguard's too low, and whenever I hit a bump the tyre hits a bolt head inside, and it's chewing the tyre up. So for that, and attaching the handbrake, the thing's going back to the welder.
Hopefully this will only be a really short visit.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor

Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto » 2018-11-04 09:02am

Minor update time.

Went to see the welder, told him what I needed him to do, and asked him the big question... Would he be able to finish it, on that day, before 2pm? Otherwise, I was going to have to walk over to the next frigging suburb to catch a bus home so I could be back in time to pick the kids up from school. Well, a couple of the bits were easy--a bracket for the handbrake and electrical plug onto the frame, and spot-weld the mirror bracket--but the big question was raising the mudguard. He wasn't sure about that.
In the end, though, he and his apprentice did it proud, had it all done and me back home by lunchtime.

Issues breed Issues
Raising the mudguard shifted around the wires a bit, of course, and I noticed when I got home that the tire had been rubbing on one of them and had stripped the insulation. In the process of investigating that, I notice that the insulation on the wiring inside the stoplight was partially melted. That wire was a bit short to do anything useful with, anyway, so I replaced it with some longer pieces, and then looked for a different place to put it where whatever was melting it wouldn't be a problem. About the only place I could find was pushing it out underneath the stoplight unit and to the side. The stoplight was then pressing down on the wires, but there's some foam there, so hopefully it would be OK.
Yeah. It wasn't.
The foam was actually quite thin, only meant to flatten out the curved mudguard, not protect wiring, and the edge of the metal stoplight managed to cut through the wire insulation and cause a short. Back to the drawing board, cut out a new, thick bit of foam, cut a well out of the middle of it to hold the wiring safe, and stick grommets everywhere. Basically, do a proper job.

The engineer also wanted a new headlight. Apparently the glass wasn't right on the old one. So I get a new headlight (fortunately, 7", a standard size) and stick it in.
Huh. The new headlight is deeper than the old one, just enough that the tail of my nice LED globe won't fit properly without pressing hard against all the mass of wiring inside the headlight cavity. Just have to replace it with an incandescent until I redo the wiring on this bike. What I figure I'm going to do is shift everything I can to a box I'll put in the handy space behind and under my seat. But until then, oh well.
Now none of my lights are working? Oh. The LED pressing against the wiring pulled a wire loose from its connection.
Fix that. OK. Now is everything working properly?
Good.

I noticed on the ride home the front forks were juddering badly under brake. I need to tighten the bearings, so I jack the whole front up, undo the top of the forks, and get to the bearing nut, tighten it all up, and put it back together. When I let it back down on the jack, I notice the forks aren't working right. There's no bounce.
I press the forks down as far as they'll go, and they don't bounce back up. What's wrong now!?
Jack it back up again, take the tops off the forks, can't see any issue, tops back on, won't go back on properly, go back on properly, damn you, lower it back down again on the jack, and there's no change. It still won't bounce. Even when I climb up on the mudguard and bounce on it (It's Russian. I can do that.)
What's wrong?! Noooooo......!
It hates me. It hates me. It.... hang on....
Take the jack out from underneath the front of the bike, and try again.
Hey look! It bounces!

(Half a frigging hour wasted trying to work out why a bike sitting on a fucking jack won't bounce. Bloody hell.)
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor