Sudden layoff

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Sgt_Artyom
Youngling

Sudden layoff

Post by Sgt_Artyom »

After working seven days in a row in order to receive time off for my best friends wedding in a week, I got to end my day being told I was being laid off immediately.

This was entirely out of left field and blindsided me completely. Has this ever happened to anyone? How did you cope with the sudden and unexpected loss of a job you were rather fond off. I find I'm feeling quite down about it...
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Sudden layoff

Post by Mr Bean »

Sgt_Artyom wrote: 2017-08-22 06:26pm After working seven days in a row in order to receive time off for my best friends wedding in a week, I got to end my day being told I was being laid off immediately.

This was entirely out of left field and blindsided me completely. Has this ever happened to anyone? How did you cope with the sudden and unexpected loss of a job you were rather fond off. I find I'm feeling quite down about it...
Nothing good in my case to be honest. Sometimes I've lost a job and done okay because work was waiting but most time if it's a suprise I tend to lose a month as I very slowly get back into the job search game.

Also that's a massive dick move to work and entire week then be layed off, was it planned?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I've been working temp jobs for the last 3 years, getting no responses to any of my resumes.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Sgt_Artyom
Youngling

Post by Sgt_Artyom »

Mr Bean wrote: 2017-08-22 11:48pm
Sgt_Artyom wrote: 2017-08-22 06:26pm After working seven days in a row in order to receive time off for my best friends wedding in a week, I got to end my day being told I was being laid off immediately.

Nothing good in my case to be honest. Sometimes I've lost a job and done okay because work was waiting but most time if it's a suprise I tend to lose a month as I very slowly get back into the job search game.

Also that's a massive dick move to work and entire week then be layed off, was it planned?
Seems like they've known since about Saturday but decided to let me work three more days before letting me go.
Sgt_Artyom
Youngling

Post by Sgt_Artyom »

LadyTevar wrote: 2017-08-22 11:54pm I've been working temp jobs for the last 3 years, getting no responses to any of my resumes.
While my last sojourn into the job market wasn't that bad, I still spent five months looking for employment. Hoping to not repeat that ever again.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

I hope this means you can be on unemployment at least.

Only close experience I would know is of my brother. Story goes someone went overbudget and they had to cut costs and laid him off.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I've lost jobs before, but not like that, completely out of the blue. My sympathies.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

I've been point-blank fired from damn near every job I've ever had. Walked out of the rest, besides the current one. People seem to not like to be my boss for some reason.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Haven't been laid off since High School, but prior job I approached HR regarding unfair treatment from manager's manager. I kind of won that engagement and received a promotion and salary increase, but it resulted in me becoming the office pariah, with my manager changed to a guy who no one else really interacted with and drooled (nice guy though), and desk moved away from everyone else.

Eventually left on my own accord for another job.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.