Amazon Prime Day

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Amazon Prime Day

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Anyone actually found any good deals on good stuff? Seems like Black Friday all over again with little to no real deals...
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Amazon Prime Day

Post by Mr Bean »

The only real deals are the flash deals and they don't last all that long. However getting an 8 inch Fire Tablet for 50$ that's impulse buy levels and with a 128 gb micro sd for 18$ was a pretty good deal.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Picked up some good flash deals, but mostly it was buying things that I was planning on getting with no real timetable (Pillow, humidifier, ect). Still dropped a lot more than I was expecting to spend however (nearly 300$).
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Oh, is that what it's about? We've had the adverts here in the UK for the last few weeks, but it wasn't all that clear what the adverts were for; they looked to me just like the normal run of Amazon ads.

Not that I was interested in buying any of their stuff anyway...
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Looks to have been a good day for online retail.
CNBC wrote:Amazon said Wednesday that the sales event was its "biggest day ever," with sales this year surpassing the combined value of its 2016 Black Friday and Cyber Monday results.

Prime Day sales grew by more than 60 percent from the same 30-hour window in 2016, with a "record number" of Prime members shopping across 13 countries, Amazon said. It added, "tens of millions of Prime members" rang up purchases during the event, up more than 50 percent from last year's shorter Prime Day.

One factor that could have skewed this year's results was that last year's Prime Day was for 24 rather than 30 hours, and included fewer countries.

Amazon didn't immediately comment on the impact of the longer shopping period on the results.

Last year, Prime Day also was Amazon's biggest sales day ever at the time, setting the bar high this go-round. In 2016, Prime Day sales rose more than 60 percent from the prior year, and in the U.S., orders were up more than 50 percent, Amazon said.

But this year's performance shows the self-created shopping holiday continues to have room to grow, which is notable given that July tends to be sluggish time for retailers.

Once again, Amazon used Prime Day as a way to drive both sign-ups for its annual Prime memberships and to promote its products.

It appears to have succeeded on both fronts.

Amazon said more new members joined Prime on July 11 than on any single day in the company's history. To take advantage of the discounts, shoppers had to be Amazon Prime members, which costs $99 a year, or $10.99 a month, and includes perks like free, two-day shipping and access to Prime Video and Prime Music.

Meantime, Prime members' most popular purchase this year was the Echo Dot, Amazon's more affordable — and smaller — version of its Echo home personal assistant, the company said. On Prime Day, the Dot's price dropped by $15, bringing it to $34.99.

Gaining new Prime members is a key part of Amazon's strategy as those customers tend to be more valuable than other shoppers.

Amazon's stock jumped $9 higher at one point Wednesday morning following the announcement, breaking the $1,000 mark once again.

Amazon said Prime Day this year was the biggest sales event ever for Amazon-branded devices in the U.S. and around the world, with the event bringing in record sales for the Echo, Fire tablets and the Kindle.

Excluding Amazon's own devices, a top-selling item in the U.S. was an Instant Pot pressure cooker; in the U.K., shoppers were seen picking up more Sony Playstation 4s; in Japan, Amazon sold a lot of its Happy Belly bottled water; and in Germany and Austria, the Soda Stream was popular among Prime members.

Worldwide, more than 3.5 million toys were purchased on Prime Day.

Members found deals organized by more than 20 of the most-shopped-for themes -- from Pet Lovers to Gardeners and more. The most popular themes on Prime Day were Home Chefs, Techies and For the Home, the company said.

"To those customers who tried Prime for the first time and our long time members, thank you for a great Prime Day," Greg Greeley, the Amazon Prime division's vice president, said in a statement.

"Our teams around the world will keep working to add more and more to your membership, so Prime continues to make your life better every day. We are already looking forward to our Prime Day celebration next year."

The first Prime Day was held on July 15, 2015, as a way to mark the company's 20th anniversary, and it proved to be such a success in boosting sales and bringing in new Prime members that the company did it all again on July 12, 2016.

This year, Amazon declared July 11 to be Prime Day, but the savings kicked off even earlier for Prime members and were extended to last for 30 hours, up from the typical 24. Amazon.com was offering new deals as often as every five minutes, the company said, reaching 13 countries and making the day more of a global phenomenon.

Some of the best discounts included those on Amazon's own electronic devices, such as the Echo and the Kindle. There were also significant discounts on some of Amazon's private-label grocery and apparel products.

With an Amazon-Whole Foods deal in the works, more online shoppers are seen browsing Amazon.com for supermarket staples and everyday essentials, which notably haven't been best-sellers for the internet giant in past Prime Days.

"It's no secret that some of Prime Day's best deals have been on Amazon products – Audible, Kindle or even Prime memberships," Maya Mikhailov, co-founder of GPShopper, told CNBC.

Yet, considering how this year Amazon is using Prime Day to introduce customers to the company's newest grocery offerings, and with tens of millions of Prime members, traditional grocery retailers should be "very worried" this time around, Mikhailov said.

Early signs hinted that Amazon's annual shopping event would grow in 2017. In a nationwide survey of 1,200 U.S. consumers by Market Track, 58 percent said they would shop Prime Day deals, up from the 34 percent who said they would participate last year.

"Aside from a minor glitch in the first hour, Amazon has very fast load times despite the heavy traffic of Prime Day," said Mehdi Daoudi, CEO of Catchpoint, a digital experience intelligence company. "This is especially notable because their sites were heavy with many product images, and still they loaded faster than the competition."
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I was getting ads all over my mobile Facebook for Prime Day. I'm not surprised people were shopping.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Aether
Youngling

Post by Aether »

I got my Amazon Echo. $90. One of the best deals I got off of Amazon.