teach me about blankets and fabrics

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

teach me about blankets and fabrics

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Short explanation, the thing I'm using now as my summer blanket is actually a tablecloth. I love it, it works great.

Some part of me feels like, since I am a real adult, I should use a real blanket. So what makes a good blanket for hot nights. I've heard linen as a fabric that keeps cool. What else?
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Re: teach me about blankets and fabrics

Post by LaCroix »

Satin will always feel cool to the touch. Had a blanket like that, once. It's not very easy to keep clean, though.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I've used a towel for weight and lack of insualtion.

A vietnamese trick is a long body pillow type thing, so you can lie on your side with one arma nd leg over it and expose the max amount of skin without have sweaty limbs pressing on each other.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Natural fabrics, such as cotton, linen, and silk, are considered the best fabrics for summer, due to their ability to wick away moisture and allow evaporation. This is often referred to as "breathable" fabrics. There is also the category called "Summer Weight" fabric, which are lighter-weight fabrics with a looser weave to allow more air to circulate between you and your clothing.

Cotton also has the ability to wick away moisture (aka sweat) from the body, but as anyone who's ever been outside in a cotton tee and gotten rained on knows, it doesn't dry easily. If it's really hot outside with low humidity, this isn't a bad thing, as it creates pockets of evaporating wetness that cools you down. On a humid day with little evaporation, it's just another soaked sweaty t-shirt.

Linen isn't as good at wicking away moisture, but it doesn't hold on to moisture either. This is one reason why Linen was the underclothing of choice up until the 1800s. It was breathable, easily washable, and highly available as flax was grown everywhere. It's amusing to realize that cotton used to be the luxury fabric, and linen was something even the poorest of the poor could grow and spin. Either way, a lighter-weight linen will always be a good choice for a bedspread or blanket.

Silk. Expensive as hell, but I've heard people swear by them.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

LaCroix wrote:Satin will always feel cool to the touch. Had a blanket like that, once. It's not very easy to keep clean, though.
I will say this though-- satin sheets are slippery as heck. Might just have been that we had a cheap set, but it was hard to not feel like we were sliding out of the bed when we laid down.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Elheru Aran wrote:
LaCroix wrote:Satin will always feel cool to the touch. Had a blanket like that, once. It's not very easy to keep clean, though.
I will say this though-- satin sheets are slippery as heck. Might just have been that we had a cheap set, but it was hard to not feel like we were sliding out of the bed when we laid down.
Another problem is a lot of satin now is made of polyester and other man-made fabrics, so it doesn't breathe.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

I like open weave blankets for summer. Cotton sheet underneath optional.

Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

^ this is what I mean by an open weave allowing more air to circulate and allow evaporation, which cools you down.

loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Bamboo fiber. Ignore the hype - yes, it's very slightly antibacterial, but not enough to matter and may not be at all depending on blend and treatment - and focus on the fabric. It's soft, it's extremely comfortable, it wicks and breathes great, and from the subtropics let me tell you, a single bamboo top sheet is all you need for a summer blanket on nights when the humidity permits anything at all to be in play. Come winter, they still feel great. It's a solid year-round option.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A