Is the FAS military analysis network a reliable source for it's time?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

FancyDarcy
Youngling

Is the FAS military analysis network a reliable source for it's time?

Post by FancyDarcy »

And what are some good alternative sources? I've been reading the contents of it on various military equipment and it's reasonably interesting. However it was discontinued in the early 2000's. Is it on-par with other sites, like globalsecurity, armytechnology, armyrecognition and the others? Are there any comparable websites today?
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Re: Is the FAS military analysis network a reliable source for it's time?

Post by LaCroix »

I don't know, when we need military info, we usually just ask Sea Skimmer... :D
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Re: Is the FAS military analysis network a reliable source for it's time?

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Sea Skimmer really is an excellent resource when he is around and can be bothered, though with how slow this site has become lately, this is less true than it used to be. He almost certainly has better information on this as well, but from what I know:

The reason the FAS articles were discontinued is that their writer went on to make GlobalSecurity. You'll find that most of the articles are the same for things that are outdated on GS. GlobalSecurity unfortunately only allows a handfull of free pages a month.

The army/naval/air-force -technology sites lack any real analysis and just list rather generalized specs. While GlobalSecurity makes it money with analysis, the -technology sites are a product of the defense industry itself.

Something else I will note is that sites like Wikipedia are utterly worthless with things like military topics, because you have various nationalists posting things in favor of their nation's military equipment at the expense of what is actually true. This is made worse by the fact that they can easily find sources of questionable quality that support their claims.