Padawan Learner

RIP Stephen Furst (Vir Cotto, Flounder)

Post by applejack »

TMZ
STEPHEN FURST
Flounder from 'Animal House'
DEAD AT 63

6/17/2017 3:27 PM PDT

Stephen Furst -- actor and filmmaker known for playing Flounder in 'Animal House' -- has died due to complications from diabetes ... TMZ has learned.
Stephen's son Nathan tells us ... his father died at his home in Ventura County, CA early Friday morning surrounded by loving friends and family. He and his brother Griff said about their dad ... "He was a beloved husband, father and kind friend whose memory will always be a blessing."
Furst battled with diabetes for years, and later became a spokesperson for the American Diabetes Association.
Along with playing Kent 'Flounder' Dorfman in the 1978 comedy classic, he also had starring roles on "Babylon 5" and "St. Elsewhere." He directed a few episodes of 'Babylon 5' as well.
He was 63.
RIP
Vir was one of my favorite characters on B5. I also noticed he lost a lot of weight over the course of the show, so I was semi-surprised he died from diabetes complications.

RIP
Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever *pauses* Thy will be done *munch munch munch*. - Homer Simpson
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: RIP Stephen Furst (Vir Cotto, Flounder)

Post by Broomstick »

Unfortunately... I'm not.

Furst lost something like 80-100 pounds after being diagnosed with diabetes, but no matter how controlled, the disease takes its toll. No matter how well managed, diabetes treatment is not as good as a functioning pancreas and proper insulin response in the cells. It's like diabetics age faster than non-diabetics, and they tend to die younger.

It's unfortunate - I enjoyed his work, and more than that, his family will miss him.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I loved Vir, especially his gloating message to Mr Morden as Morden gets dragged out for execution.

Rest in peace.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Aww man.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Not Vir! Fuck this whole year.
Maybe he was not incredible, but like a burnt chicken, he remained inedible.
But he was Flounder. A grounder. Nothing short of a modern movie founder.
It ain't never a good day to die, but like the man himself, here's your little wave goodbye.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker