Unmanned convenience stores

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: Unmanned convenience stores

Post by Jub »

Broomstick wrote:Nope, because Netflix still offers a DVD-by-mail service. In fact, last I checked there is still a greater array of choices for their by-mail service than for their broadband.
I honestly didn't know that they did that still. So, bad example I guess, but surely you got the point that a service primarily designed for antisocial people willing to use technology to avoid human interaction will likely favor those with said tech ology.
We have tap-and-pay here. It's not real common, but I see it a couple times a day at work.

I agree though that the US has its head up its ass in regards to chip and pin.
Wow, I'm surprised it rolled out at all with how chip and pin went/is still going. Not too mention convincing people that it's actually safe. So I guess good on those places that have it, it's likely shave a few moments off most people's checkout times.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Broomstick wrote:Nope, because Netflix still offers a DVD-by-mail service. In fact, last I checked there is still a greater array of choices for their by-mail service than for their broadband.
Sorry to nitpick, but this is near solely due to legal differences between streaming and DVD rental. Besides selling "Rental DVDs" for inflated prices, studios have no way to control how many people you rent a given disk out to or how much you charge to do so. But, and this is the important bit: no one can stop Netflix (at least from what I know) from renting out physical copies of their movie, TV show, etc or for how long. You're only limited by the life of the physical disc and getting a new one is as simple as buying it.

However, streaming (as AFAIK, is not covered by laws regarding either physical copies nor syndication) requires Netflix to constantly renegotiate and haggle with studios for the ability to stream X content for Y amount of time and there's certain things they will just never get for streaming. Like, I doubt you'd ever see Game of Thrones on Netflix while HBO has their own streaming app.

The DVD market continues to shrink, but I won't argue that the market would totally die considering how many Americans are stuck with shit Internet. However, Netflix would shut the system down due to lack of profits likely far before it was totally dead. I think out of 100 million subs, like 4 mil use the mail system.

It's profitable for them, but they could cut it right now and not lose a whole lot.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Jub wrote:
We have tap-and-pay here. It's not real common, but I see it a couple times a day at work.

I agree though that the US has its head up its ass in regards to chip and pin.
Wow, I'm surprised it rolled out at all with how chip and pin went/is still going. Not too mention convincing people that it's actually safe. So I guess good on those places that have it, it's likely shave a few moments off most people's checkout times.
Most? Hardly, unless you mean cumulatively (everybody saves a few seconds because a few people tap-and-pay). Chip cards are becoming a thing though, a lot of stores still support it. There's still a LOT that have the chip-slot blocked, though, often with a sign saying something like 'Do not use chip, run card'.

As for this concept of an automated convenience store: if it was ever implemented in the US, I suspect you'd be likely to see it start as small neighborhood kiosk setups for, say, hipster apartment buildings and the like. Need some milk, go down to the first floor, walk in the store in the lobby and grab some milk that you've already paid for with your app.

The downside of doing it anywhere else though is that there are simply not enough people willing to abide by basic social contracts here in the US. In a more rigorously structured culture like China and Japan, where people who don't conform tend to stand out dramatically, you can get away with something like that... particularly in higher-class parts of town where people are more likely to afford such a convenience.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Elheru Aran wrote:Most? Hardly, unless you mean cumulatively (everybody saves a few seconds because a few people tap-and-pay). Chip cards are becoming a thing though, a lot of stores still support it. There's still a LOT that have the chip-slot blocked, though, often with a sign saying something like 'Do not use chip, run card'.
You guys are missing out. Having near ubiquitous tap and pay here saves so much time for small purchases. It's faster than cash and is honestly just as safe as anything else out there in terms of theft and fraud.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Darth Tanner wrote:I guess they can't allow cash to be stored even in an automatic dispenser... plus smart phone #cool. I know this will appeal to some I just don't see the appel.
I know some people on the autism spectrum who are excited by this sort of development, because it means that they don't have to deal with people in order to buy daily items. They also liked the self-serve checkouts at the supermarket for the same reason, but it's still a crowded area.
Jub wrote:
I honestly didn't know that they did that still. So, bad example I guess, but surely you got the point that a service primarily designed for antisocial people willing to use technology to avoid human interaction will likely favor those with said tech ology.
It's not even about being antisocial a lot of the time. It's the sheer convenience of it all. In the same way that the video store was a physical repository of films that saved a consumer from having to have their own expensive archive, streaming services eliminate the need for a physical repository entirely. So the sole copy of Ken Burns' The Civil War isn't always out, and titles popular with families aren't always messed up by inconsiderate children. Also, Thor help you if you didn't live near a decent video store.
Jub wrote:You guys are missing out. Having near ubiquitous tap and pay here saves so much time for small purchases. It's faster than cash and is honestly just as safe as anything else out there in terms of theft and fraud.
Heck yes. Combined with bill splitting terminals that various food service places have now, it makes going out a lot easier logistically.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Gandalf wrote:I know some people on the autism spectrum who are excited by this sort of development, because it means that they don't have to deal with people in order to buy daily items. They also liked the self-serve checkouts at the supermarket for the same reason, but it's still a crowded area.
Yeah, I can certainly see this working for a lot of people.
Jub wrote:It's not even about being antisocial a lot of the time. It's the sheer convenience of it all. In the same way that the video store was a physical repository of films that saved a consumer from having to have their own expensive archive, streaming services eliminate the need for a physical repository entirely. So the sole copy of Ken Burns' The Civil War isn't always out, and titles popular with families aren't always messed up by inconsiderate children. Also, Thor help you if you didn't live near a decent video store.
Also true, that's why I order food online. I can customize my order without having to repeat myself or read off a number from a coupon to snag a deal.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Jub wrote:Yeah, I can certainly see this working for a lot of people.
Yeah. Ninety percent of the time I'd rather deal with a machine as opposed to a human. The interaction is predictable from beginning to end.
Jub wrote:Also true, that's why I order food online. I can customize my order without having to repeat myself or read off a number from a coupon to snag a deal.
Indeed. I also have the problem where my accent/manner of speech gets in the way, which can be an issue when someone is taking my order in a loud restaurant.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

An early review of the BingoBox.

Evidently, it mostly works. The link has lots of neat infographs which make quoting just the text pointless.

- George Carlin