Chicago Justice Canceled

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Chicago Justice Canceled

Post by amigocabal »

http://deadline.com/2017/05/chicago-jus ... 202099623/
Nellie Andreeva of Deadline.com wrote:I hear NBC has made its decision on the remaining Chicago drama, opting not to renew freshman Chicago Justice for a second season.

Flagship Chicago Fire as well as Chicago P.D. and Chicago Med were renewed earlier this month, while the decision on the newest and lowest-rated entry in the franchise, Chicago Justice, was tabled until after the upfronts.

Over the past month of so, there had been some chatter that one of the newer Chicago-set shows, likely Chicago Justice, might not continue. As can be expected after 30 years in business, the financial relationship between Wolf and NBC is complex, and, with few exceptions, network drama series are not as lucrative as they used to be, with limited opportunities in the SVOD and cable off-network space. There have been no syndication sales yet for Chicago Fire, finishing Season 5, or Chicago P.D, wrapping Season 4.
Continue reading...

Here is a clip from the show.
RogueIce
_______

Re: Chicago Justice Canceled

Post by RogueIce »

I liked the show well enough, but it didn't really click for me. TBH the problem is that it's basically Law & Order: Chicago, complete with a beginning investigator phase rolling into the trial. That and ADA Stone being holier-than-thou trying to rewrite the law with pretty much every episode. So I'm not surprised it didn't make it. The others were much stronger and feel a bit more unique, even if 'P.D.' is a police procedural and 'Med' is a medical drama (duh lol), both of which are not exactly uncommon shows out there. But those characters meshed together better than I feel the 'Justice' crew managed, and well having four shows like that was always a long shot.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I'm sure you will cope with the eleventy billion other police procedurals ;)
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I have never heard of this franchise but their next spinoff should be a new Dresden Files adaption. Chicago Wizard.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Honestly I never really got into it. The fact that the franchise seems desperate to downplay jon burge's atrocities is irritating
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Dartzap wrote:I'm sure you will cope with the eleventy billion other police procedurals ;)
Seriously, what the fuck is it with police procedurals? Do people really watch them that much? I heard there were even plans to make The Walking Dead one before it was made created...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Iroscato wrote:
Dartzap wrote:I'm sure you will cope with the eleventy billion other police procedurals ;)
Seriously, what the fuck is it with police procedurals? Do people really watch them that much? I heard there were even plans to make The Walking Dead one before it was made created...
I would love to see an episode of that:

Rick: "We have eyewitness accounts of you attacking that man. Confess and we'll see if we can get a plea deal."
Zombie: *groan*
Shane: "That's it, Rick. We should beat a confession out of him. Kids play in that area. Just give me five minutes alone with him.
Zombie: *groan*
Rick: That's what I'd thought you'd say.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Iroscato wrote: I heard there were even plans to make The Walking Dead one before it was made created...
They flirted with that in the first season of the spin-off.
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Iroscato wrote:
I swear, if a live-action Star Wars TV series is made, the most likely form would be that of a police procedural (with teen drama a distant second)
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Iroscato wrote:
Seriously, what the fuck is it with police procedurals? Do people really watch them that much?
They're popular the world over and then cheap to make, depending on your actors. They're ultimately about a group of people coming together to solve a problem, sometimes with some cool action or intense drama along the way. With some, the audience can play along with the cast and try to solve it. It's versatile, and can cross cultural borders because the basic idea of crime and those who fight is is pretty universal.

When it was in that early prime nigh on ten years ago, NCIS was the world's most watched series. It was followed closely by the various CSI programmes.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Gandalf wrote:
Iroscato wrote:
Seriously, what the fuck is it with police procedurals? Do people really watch them that much?
They're popular the world over and then cheap to make, depending on your actors. They're ultimately about a group of people coming together to solve a problem, sometimes with some cool action or intense drama along the way. With some, the audience can play along with the cast and try to solve it. It's versatile, and can cross cultural borders because the basic idea of crime and those who fight is is pretty universal.

When it was in that early prime nigh on ten years ago, NCIS was the world's most watched series. It was followed closely by the various CSI programmes.
Plus, these shows often have Plot twists that arrive in the second or third acts.

For example, take the series premiere of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. The first two acts had SVU investigating a cabbie that was in jail for prostitution, as he may have been the real target of the murder of another cabbie. But then comes Act 3...