Jaden Smith's ‘spiked’ pancakes + $121,000 Giant Rubber Duck

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Which one of these stories is the most ridiculous?

Jaden Smith ordering Ricotta pancakes then complaining there's cheese in it
65%
Ontario spending $121k on a giant rubber duck to celebrate Canada's 150th Anniversary
13%
Can't decide, they're equally ridiculous
9%
Not any stupider than what you say on a daily basis, Tribble
4%
So what? Today something even dumber happened over in my neighbourhood! (feel free to share)
9%

Total votes: 23

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Jaden Smith's ‘spiked’ pancakes + $121,000 Giant Rubber Duck

Post by Tribble »

Our top (stupid) news in Toronto today:
Jaden Smith says Four Seasons Toronto ‘spiked’ his pancakes with cheese, kicked him out

While Jaden Smith, son of Will, has been busy shooting the next great YA movie in Toronto with co-star Cara Delevingne, he’s been staying at the snazzy Four Seasons Hotel — except it hasn’t been going well.

On Saturday, the 18-year-old, who has a tendency to capitalize all of his tweets while delivering each random thing that enters his mind, revealed that the hotel had allegedly kicked him out after “Spiking” his pancakes with cheese, making him want to “Throw Up On Myself.”
He concluded with, we can only assume, no hyperbole whatsoever: “I’m Surprised I’m Still Alive.”
As are we! 

Alas, with one simple Google, it becomes evident that on the Four Seasons’ menu, the only likely option that Smith ordered is the Lemon Ricotta Hot Cakes (with Ontario maple syrup, by the way). It seems worth noting here that, yes, for all intents and purposes, ricotta is cheese. 

But let’s give Smith the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps he was fully aware of this but requested that his hot cakes be made without said ricotta, and his demands were not met. He could have an allergy, an intolerance or be going through a vegan spell (he certainly seems the type). No one like that wants a cheesy surprise.

As for the matter of being unceremoniously “kicked out,” according to E! News, Smith had come to the end of his booked stay at the hotel but decided he was not ready to check out. Unfortunately, the Four Seasons was fully booked and could not accommodate the famous spawn with an extra room. Needless to say, Smith was not happy and decided to let it all out on Twitter, playing a little dirty by bringing the cheese into it. 
Related

The Four Seasons has said it does not comment on its guests, but let’s be real: this mix-up would not have happened had the hotel provided Smith with an all-caps menu. 
In the words of Jaden Smith himself, “When Life Gives You Big Problems, Just Be Happy You Forgot All Your Little Problems.”
Amen.
http://news.nationalpost.com/arts/celeb ... ed-him-out

What the duck? Ontario paid $121K to festival bringing world's largest rubber duckie to Canada

Tourism Minister Eleanor McMahon notes the province has funded Redpath Waterfront Festival for 3 years

A six-storey rubber duck won't call Toronto waterfront home until this summer — but it's already making waves in the Ontario legislature.
The 13,600-kilogram rubber duckie drew criticism, and many puns, from the Progressive Conservative tourism critic as he questioned why the province would help pay to bring the Instagrammable bath toy to Canada for a visit. 
"People are already treading water, trying to pay their bills, and you float this rubber ducky right in their faces?" Rick Nicholls said.

Funded festival for 3 years running
The province gave the Redpath Waterfront Festival a $121,000 grant toward its annual Canada Day celebrations, which will be magnified in keeping with the country's 150th birthday. 
Rubber Ducky is being billed as the perfect selfie backdrop by the festival — and as a tourist attraction by the province.
"We're not ducking any of these questions," Tourism Minister Eleanor McMahon said during question period, noting that the funding is for the festival and not the duck specifically. 
​"We've actually been funding that festival for the past three years and we're funding them again ... because they create jobs, they do a fantastic job, and they bring in tourists," she told reporters later.

When asked how much of the funding went specifically to bringing the behemoth bath toy to Ontario, McMahon couldn't say. It will tour the province after its three-day-stint in Toronto, something the minister said would bring tourists to the smaller communities that it visits.
The Tories, however, maintained it was wasteful spending on something that had no connection to Canada's history.
"It's an absolute cluster duck," Nicholls said, ruffling the feathers of the speaker of the house.
McMahon, meanwhile, shot back that the duck is just one part of a much larger celebration — and said later that the opposition's "quacking" was "much ado about nothing".
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/d ... -1.4136222

Having trouble deciding which one amuses me more. Thoughts? :lol:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: Jaden Smith's ‘spiked’ pancakes + $121,000 Giant Rubber Duck

Post by Tribble »

And yes, I really wish that the two stories had been related somehow.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Petty comment of the day: that first article says that Jaden Smith's tweets are in "all-caps", but from the examples they quote he actually writes in start case (that is, he only capitalizes the first letter of each word, not every letter).
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:Petty comment of the day: that first article says that Jaden Smith's tweets are in "all-caps", but from the examples they quote he actually writes in start case (that is, he only capitalizes the first letter of each word, not every letter).
I hadn't noticed that. I thank you for willingly sacrificing a few braincells to learn that little detail :P
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

So, did anyone have something particularly stupid happen in their neighbourhood today, or does Toronto win by default? :D
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Welcome to Onterrible, where our Premier is a dumbass cunt. If you want stupid, you've got it. Some days I don't even know why I live here.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

I think Toronto takes this sad victory. Glad to see something stupid that is not the American political system.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, what do they do with the duck after the celebration? Put it out to see and have it freak out passing ships in the ocean?
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

FaxModem1 wrote:So, what do they do with the duck after the celebration? Put it out to see and have it freak out passing ships in the ocean?
IIRC the $200K+ (the original cost was a lowball estimate) is just the rental fees before they ship it somewhere else. Ya, we don't even own it.

It would be pretty awesome to have it float through Lake Ontario, go down the St. Lawrence River and out to the Atlantic though :D

And for those wondering, as near as I can tell "giant rubber yellow duck" is not one of those things that crop up in Canadian history that often. Until now it seems. If they were going to do something ridiculous, they should have at least gone with something stereotypical like a giant inflatable moose, or beaver or something. I mean there's a hundred other things more appropriate for a major celebration of Canadian history over that. Our politicians at their finest :P
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Jaden Smith and his sister are so fucking divorced from reality they belong in a mental health treatment center. Read some interviews, the rotten little shits are fucking out there.

But not enough to make a thread about it. This isn't the 'E! Forum' for fucks sake.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Flagg wrote:Jaden Smith and his sister are so fucking divorced from reality they belong in a mental health treatment center. Read some interviews, the rotten little shits are fucking out there.

But not enough to make a thread about it. This isn't the 'E! Forum' for fucks sake.
This was particularly stupid local "news" even by Toronto's standards, and unfortunately it was shown / talked about on just about every newspaper / news channel. I was making fun of the fact that things this ridiculous were getting major screen-time just as much as the stupidity of the acts themselves. Technically this should have gone under the "news" section, but that would have been too absurd even by my standards, so into "Off-Topic" it goes. Kinda surprised that Jaden Smith is winning so decisively over the 6 story tall $200 K rubber duck though. I'm trying to picture where the hell they are going to put it :P

Anything ridiculous happen in your local neighbourhood lately? Apart from Trump, 'cause he's a worldwide embarrassment now not just a local one. I rather not have Toronto "win" this particular metal, but so far there doesn't seem to be any challengers. :P
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Tribble wrote:
Flagg wrote:Jaden Smith and his sister are so fucking divorced from reality they belong in a mental health treatment center. Read some interviews, the rotten little shits are fucking out there.

This was particularly stupid local "news" even by Toronto's standards, and unfortunately it was shown / talked about on just about every newspaper / news channel. I was making fun of the fact that things this ridiculous were getting major screen-time just as much as the stupidity of the acts themselves. Technically this should have gone under the "news" section, but that would have been too absurd even by my standards, so into "Off-Topic" it goes. Kinda surprised that Jaden Smith is winning so decisively over the 6 story tall $200 K rubber duck though. I'm trying to picture where the hell they are going to put it :P

Anything ridiculous happen in your local neighbourhood lately? Apart from Trump, 'cause he's a worldwide embarrassment now not just a local one. I rather not have Toronto "win" this particular metal, but so far there doesn't seem to be any challengers. :P
Yeah, I wasn't criticizing you. Another case of "Flagg, you goddamned idiot, use emotes because voice inflection does not translate into text!" :banghead:

But my neighbor to the house left of the one directly across the street feeds crows stale bread every morning and one now has only one leg. So I think mine is more newsworthy. :lol: :P
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Flagg wrote: Yeah, I wasn't criticizing you. Another case of "Flagg, you goddamned idiot, use emotes because voice inflection does not translate into text!" :banghead:
No worries, I tend to forget that as well sometimes. I also have to constantly keep reminding myself not to leave cap locks on, lest people think I'm screaming at them :P
Flagg wrote:But my neighbor to the house left of the one directly across the street feeds crows stale bread every morning and one now has only one leg. So I think mine is more newsworthy. :lol: :P
I agree, it's not very often that a bird ends up eating bread so stale that one of its legs fall off :lol:
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

He's too rich and has had it too well, basically his problem in a nutshell. I prescribe some grinding poverty.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

His Divine Shadow wrote:He's too rich and has had it too well, basically his problem in a nutshell. I prescribe some grinding poverty.
Dude, it's a one legged bird eating stale bread, I think it's suffered enough! :P :lol:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Flagg wrote:
His Divine Shadow wrote:He's too rich and has had it too well, basically his problem in a nutshell. I prescribe some grinding poverty.
Dude, it's a one legged bird eating stale bread, I think it's suffered enough! :P :lol:
I think "He" is Jaden Smith, not the bird. :)
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

houser2112 wrote:
Flagg wrote:
I know, I figured the " :P " and " :lol: " covered that. :banghead: :lol:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Flagg wrote:
houser2112 wrote:
Flagg wrote: Dude, it's a one legged bird eating stale bread, I think it's suffered enough! :P :lol:
I know, I figured the " :P " and " :lol: " covered that. :banghead: :lol:
I got it Flagg, the timing was perfect :lol:

I do note that your neighbour's one-legged crow did not throw a temper tantrum over the stale bread, which clearly demonstrates a greater degree of intelligence over Smith. Toronto is still winning :P
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

I honestly didn't think these stories could get any dumber... I was wrong:
Ontario 150 giant rubber duck comes with copyright dispute

TORONTO - A large rubber duck that’s supposed to spread joy in the Canada 150 celebrations is leaving a messy controversy in its wake.
An ugly war of words has raged for three years between Dutch artist Florentijn Hofman and events producer Craig Samborski, self-billed as the “World’s Largest Rubber Duck Owner,” over who owns the copyright for the duck.
An Ontario 150 event is using a $120,000 grant from provincial taxpayers to help cover the cost of bringing Samborski’s inflatable six-storey version for a tour as part of the Canada 150 birthday celebrations.
In a statement, Hofman claims the original image belongs to him and suggests Canadian taxpayers got plucked.
“We think it is most important that if you celebrate such a big event, you always should go for the original,” Kim Engbers, a spokesman for Hofman, said in an email to the Toronto Sun on Thursday. “Show as a nation and as festivals you respect artistic (copyright) and be true to your audience.”
Hofman’s statement said his original duck would have been available to Canada 150 instead of the “counterfeit,” which is being rented out at “exorbitant rates against the wishes of its creator.”
“Had a Canadian government official tried to contact us, we would have provided the real duck,” the statement says. “It is unfortunate this due diligence wasn’t completed.”
Ryan Whaley, who co-owns “Mama Duck” with Samborski, told the Sun that they contracted with Hofman in 2014 to create a large giant duck for an art installation in Los Angeles harbour, but the artist failed to deliver technical drawings as specified.
Whaley described Hofman’s work as “napkin drawings,” and so they employed two other companies to build it.
“It’s very much not a counterfeit duck,” Whaley said. “As a matter of fact, our duck is registered with the U.S. Patent and Copyright Office.”
Their trademark lawyer has advised them that the image of the rubber duck has long been in the public domain, he said.
There are other giant ducks out there, but Waley said their version is the world’s largest and it brings joy and smiles wherever it goes.
He and Samborski are being paid $71,000 for the Ontario tour rental — which includes six stops — not the $200,000 mentioned to Postmedia by the festival organizers, he said.
A spokesman for the Redpath Waterfront Festival redirected Toronto Sun questions to Samborski.
“The duck was contracted from a company named Draw Events. Craig Samborski, the owner, has been working extensively with the duck for several years and can most accurately answer any questions you may have regarding the duck,” the spokesman said.
This is not the first time that the duck’s ownership has been called into question, as feathers have flown wherever the duck has landed in recent years.
Jeff Costen, a spokesman for Ontario Tourism, Culture and Sport Minister Eleanor McMahon, said they had nothing to do with the decision to rent the giant duck.
“It’s a dispute between two independent parties,” Costen said. “We didn’t contract the duck at all. This third party festival, so they’re delivering ... programming including the duck. We gave a grant to that festival but that’s the only relationship.”
PC MPP Vic Fedeli has questioned why Ontario taxpayers would be flowing money to a floating duck that has no real link to Canada or its birthday.
http://www.torontosun.com/2017/06/01/on ... ht-dispute

The only thing more ridiculous than a copyright dispute over the rubber duck is that the damn thing is still a major news story. :banghead:
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Look on the bright side. The fact that this is newsworthy means that nothing actually bad has has happened.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

My city (Norfolk, VA at the time) had that rubber duck for an art festival. It just sat outside a museum in a canal. I suppose it was fun photo op for those milling about the local parks close by but if we paid even close to the price tag quoted in the article for this curiosity, being a much smaller city, it was a gigantic waste of money.

Its sort of depressing that a giant rubber duck draws crowds, but the museum it was outside barely gets a trickle of visitors even though I think it has a decent collection/displays/exhibits for its size.

http://www.chrysler.org/
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Patroklos wrote:My city (Norfolk, VA at the time) had that rubber duck for an art festival. It just sat outside a museum in a canal. I suppose it was fun photo op for those milling about the local parks close by but if we paid even close to the price tag quoted in the article for this curiosity, being a much smaller city, it was a gigantic waste of money.

Its sort of depressing that a giant rubber duck draws crowds, but the museum it was outside barely gets a trickle of visitors even though I think it has a decent collection/displays/exhibits for its size.

http://www.chrysler.org/
Hmm, maybe they should have tied it next to the USS Wisconsin :P