Any suggestions on getting creative juices flowing?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Any suggestions on getting creative juices flowing?

Post by SolarpunkFan »

I've decided to learn some HTML5 web development to keep myself sane (I'm really interested in web components, HTML5 canvas and Node.js right now).

But I'm not quite sure what I should do with what I'm learning. I have a few vague ideas, but I'd like to have some generic creative ideas to work on to get the creative juices flowing.

Does anyone here have any suggestions (either domain-specific or generalized)?
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: Any suggestions on getting creative juices flowing?

Post by General Zod »

Have you considered hallucinogens?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I find its sometimes useful to have more than one project going at a time, so if you get stuck on one, you can shift to another for a while, then bounce back.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

General Zod wrote:Have you considered hallucinogens?
That would be problematic. For multiple reasons. :P
The Romulan Republic wrote:I find its sometimes useful to have more than one project going at a time, so if you get stuck on one, you can shift to another for a while, then bounce back.
Sounds like it's worth a shot. Thanks! :D
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I use the "have more then one project going at a time" method, what's great about it that those projects can influence each other, you might figure out how to get past a problem you had on one project when trying to solve a problem on another.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Alchohol helps, but you have to be careful to not drink too much, because it is about turning off enough of the brain that you keep moving forwards but not so much that your brain shuts down entirely.

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Your brain doesn't so much as shut down as it stops processing memories. It's kind of a scary experience.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Watch a Jodorowsky movie.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

Adam Reynolds wrote:Alchohol helps, but you have to be careful to not drink too much, because it is about turning off enough of the brain that you keep moving forwards but not so much that your brain shuts down entirely.
Perhaps I should state this: I'm medicated, so drugs and alcohol are off-limits. :P
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

General Zod wrote:Your brain doesn't so much as shut down as it stops processing memories. It's kind of a scary experience.
I wouldn't actually know from experience, as I have never actually gotten that drunk.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Adam Reynolds wrote:
General Zod wrote:Your brain doesn't so much as shut down as it stops processing memories. It's kind of a scary experience.
I wouldn't actually know from experience, as I have never actually gotten that drunk.
It's happened to me twice, one was in a controlled environment. The second time I managed to walk a mile through New Orleans to my motel room, somehow. It took me about 3 hours.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

SolarpunkFan wrote:Perhaps I should state this: I'm medicated, so drugs and alcohol are off-limits. :P
Then you should unmedicate yourself so that you can use the happy funtime drugs.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Aleister Crowley
Redshirt

Post by Aleister Crowley »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Watch a Jodorowsky movie.
Holy Mountain. Holy shiiiiiiiiit that movie. Especially the parts with the Alchemist/Wizard type dude. That is some mind blowing shit, but it builds and builds into something entirely stranger.

The whole movie is full of symbolism. The main character is each of the major archetypes of the Tarot deck. I have to watch it all again to remember what the exact symbolism is, but it's crazy. I don't think this will be a problem to anyone here, but it does have a lot of religious symbolism being desecrated. Or just used in a weird way. Animals get blown up too...so be forewarned.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

SolarpunkFan wrote:I've decided to learn some HTML5 web development to keep myself sane (I'm really interested in web components, HTML5 canvas and Node.js right now).

But I'm not quite sure what I should do with what I'm learning. I have a few vague ideas, but I'd like to have some generic creative ideas to work on to get the creative juices flowing.

hmm, you're looking for project ideas?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

madd0ct0r wrote:
SolarpunkFan wrote:I've decided to learn some HTML5 web development to keep myself sane (I'm really interested in web components, HTML5 canvas and Node.js right now).

hmm, you're looking for project ideas?
Yes. :)
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Html5 and nodes - web sites, cross platform and asynchronous api, not big data anslytics or intensive cpu work.

Projects:

A rabdom project generator that scrapes and merges github read me files to give you a challenge.
A star system generator that uses relatively simple tables, and trending hashtags to make a new colony every hour.
A game of life sand box game with different species with different rules and a target end pattern
A self evolving website, mutating to increase desired user behaviour
A posh version of the gunpowder fantasy army generator I made for the last stgods game
A solarpunk setting maker.
An example website for a made up company or charity
A blind drop web site, where you can read a secret someone typed in, but only once you type something yourself
A html5 implementation of the old turtle draw program for preschoolers.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

madd0ct0r wrote:*snip*
Thanks man! :)
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Oooh another one. Body horror monster generator. -eyes- on its fingers-, covered in -teeth-

That sort of thing
blenkins90
Redshirt

Post by blenkins90 »

Maybe go on freelancing websites and look for places to apply the skills you're learning? Lot's of projects out there, unless you're just interested in doing it for fun.
Skywalker4eva
Redshirt

Post by Skywalker4eva »

One word - relax. I read that a famous author would put a cigar in his mouth but won't light it. The cigar was signal to the brain that he could relax and once he did, the ideas came through.