2017 Formula 1 season

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

2017 Formula 1 season

Post by Alferd Packer »

Friggin' finally. Just a few short days from the Australian GP and the start of the season.

Let's see, the Ferrari hype train has been hilarious to watch--everyone's convinced they were sandbagging incredibly hard during the pre-season testing. Merc recently floated that they have added 70bhp to their power unit in the offseason. Red Bull has been fairly quiet, but remains optimistic. Force India is pink. Williams looks much better than it did last year. STR is back to using Renault power. McLaren is getting paid 100 million dollars to use Honda "power" and still wants to ditch them for 2018. Haas may be able to score points with both cars this year. Renault...hmm, they've been quiet too. And since Manor's gone, Sauber is the only thing between us and 3 car teams up front.

The new cars look sexy as hell. Now we just hope that the racing is as good.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Re: 2017 Formula 1 season

Post by SpottedKitty »

Just read an article in BBC News about the new season. Interesting changes in handling characteristics; now let's wait and see how it plays out in an actual race.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Hamilton should be favourite. Bottas I see slotting in as a comfortable #2 driver. Who know he may surprise. The unknown is how good Ferrari are. If they've managed to get within a few tenths we should have a good fight on our hands.
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Alferd Packer wrote:The new cars look sexy as hell. Now we just hope that the racing is as good.
I'm gonna disagree with you there. I hate all the barge boards and extra aero they stick on. When they streamlined the cars and cleaned up the aero, I thought they finally looked good again. They're just so busy with body work again, I feel they look distracting.
XXXI
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I think they look better then the old ones, but not by much, certainly is a bit busy looking. But they do need changes, I'm in the bandwagon of people who really just lost interest in the sport owing to constant technical changes and ugly ass cars in the great long term fallout from the end of cancer advertising. If the sport doesn't push limits and look good doing it then it's jut pointless.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I think the one of the problems is that open wheel motorsport has been orbiting around a distinct point for the last 20 years: the point at which a human being can drive the car as designed. Famously, CART (one of the precursors to IndyCar) had to scrap an oval race back in the late 90s because the drivers were pulling 6Gs for most of the lap and starting to black out after 5-10 minutes. So you change the regs every few years, and yes, you may make the car a few seconds faster or a few seconds slower, but it's not going to be world-changing. Any large change to the regs could result in an undrivabely fast car, so you oscillate around some kind of optimum. The FIA has swung back towards the fast side of the optimum, but probably have not overshot it. Ongoing development of the cars, however, may change that.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

So Ferrari close, Grojean pulled off a nice lap, and McHonda managed to not explode an engine yet. Really loving the extra pips for the timing loops instead of just the three sectors. Some interesting big gaps between some teammates (Gro vs Mag especially).

Nice quali session all up.
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

atg wrote:So Ferrari close, Grojean pulled off a nice lap, and McHonda managed to not explode an engine yet. Really loving the extra pips for the timing loops instead of just the three sectors. Some interesting big gaps between some teammates (Gro vs Mag especially).

Nice quali session all up.

Yeah, that was a pretty wide gap. I mean, I'm sure some of it is getting used to the car, and some of it was that shit third sector that Magnussen had. I think the main thing Grosjean's performance shows is that the Ferrari PU is really strong this year--they are, after all, the only team other than the works team using the 2017 PU. Which, of course, is backed up by Seb squeaking through to second place.

Of more interest to me is Palmer and 2015 Le Mans winner Nico Hulkenberg. That's over 3 seconds difference in their quali efforts. Is Hulkenberg that good, or is Palmer that bad? Massa and Stroll make sense--Stroll's just a kid, and Massa is a tried and tested veteran. Still, a mixed up grid like this is going to make for a potentially fun race tomorrow. I'm actually debating staying up to watch it. We'll see...

Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

As always, I hate Sebastian Vettel.

Ferrari confirmed they were definitely sandbagging in FP and they combined a fast car (I'm surprised tbh) with a great strategy (I'm shocked tbh). Mercedes has had it too easy for too long, it'll be good seeing Lewis and the Mercedes boys figure out how to win again.

Fuck Vettel, though.
XXXI
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Some "interesting" new colour schemes this year. Not sure I like the look of the toy car appearance of some of them, but the big pink lipstick (i.e. Force India) just looks weird.

Did anyone see what happened to Magnusson and Ericson (I think) right at the beginning, that made them go spinny-spinny off into the gravel? I don't think we ever got a replay.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

SpottedKitty wrote:Did anyone see what happened to Magnusson and Ericson (I think) right at the beginning, that made them go spinny-spinny off into the gravel? I don't think we ever got a replay.
I think MAG turned in on him and they both got collected. Bad weekend for Haas, and a fairly high attrition rate overall during the race.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Phantasee wrote:As always, I hate Sebastian Vettel.

Ferrari confirmed they were definitely sandbagging in FP and they combined a fast car (I'm surprised tbh) with a great strategy (I'm shocked tbh). Mercedes has had it too easy for too long, it'll be good seeing Lewis and the Mercedes boys figure out how to win again.

Fuck Vettel, though.

It was a great race and I am just as surprised at Vettel's great performance (much better than Kimi). I am surrprised at how much trouble Hamilton had with Bottas.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I think the Mercs really got their setup wrong--that seems to the scuttlebutt, anyway--and they also had a bad pit strategy for Lewis. That said, great on Ferrari for capitalizing on those mistakes. Also, Seb was able to open up a 9 second lead at one point, so their car is definitely no slouch. I still think the safe money is on Mercedes and Hamilton, but it's definitely going to be more interesting this year.

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Fernando Alonso is skipping the Monaco GP this year in favor of racing in the Indy 500.

Wow. Maybe allowing this excursion was the only way McLaren was able to keep him for the rest of the season.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I have to say that this season is far more exciting than last time.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Thanas wrote:I have to say that this season is far more exciting than last time.
So far, so good. I was encouraged by last week's GP. Even when the track dried out, there was still plenty of overtaking, and the Max/Daniel fight towards the end for the podium was great stuff.

I am a little concerned about the attrition rate, but that may just be down to the teams getting used to the new cars.

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Alferd Packer wrote:I am a little concerned about the attrition rate, but that may just be down to the teams getting used to the new cars.
Nothing all that unusual, IMHO. Didn't the same sort of thing happen a few years back, when the dual-power designs were first introduced?
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Yeah and any major rule change is going to break cars considering how restricted testing time now is.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

GRANDE SEBASTIANO.
------------
------------
My LPs
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

That was a fun GP. There is less passing overall, but the racing is much better, especially at the front. And the mere fact that you don't know who's going to win the race after the end of the first lap makes it soooo much better.

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Some interesting clonks, too. Bad luck for Verstappen getting that brake failure, he was doing well. As for Stoll and Sainz... deary deary me... :?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Hamilton should be driver no.2 on his team, Bottas has been driving far better for weeks now. Hamilton just cannot save tyres, only can lead from front in mercedes.

Oh and Ted from BBC can just fuck off with his nico rosberg hate. Surprised Lauda hasn't murdered him yet...
------------
------------
My LPs
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Thanas wrote:Hamilton should be driver no.2 on his team, Bottas has been driving far better for weeks now. Hamilton just cannot save tyres, only can lead from front in mercedes.
You serious? Bottas spun out under the safety car in China and was far slower in Bahrain. Hamilton's had one bad race in Russia which seems to have been car related overheating, not driver related. Not sure where you are getting this 'cannot save tyres' from.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Yet another "deary deary me" for Alonso...

A good race from Bottas, though, I was hoping he'd be able to keep that Ferrari in his rear-view mirror.
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

SpottedKitty wrote:Yet another "deary deary me" for Alonso...

A good race from Bottas, though, I was hoping he'd be able to keep that Ferrari in his rear-view mirror.
Wonder what Sauber are thinking of their Honda move at the moment... Apparently Honda have said they'll have massive improvements by mid-season but we've heard that before.