Teen Killing Self on FB Live Taunted By "Mother"*

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Teen Killing Self on FB Live Taunted By "Mother"*

Post by Flagg »

* Story more complicated by title, "mother" still thundercunt.

NBCNews.com
NEWS MAR 14 2017, 4:29 PM ET
Teen Who Killed Self on Facebook Live Was Taunted by Mom: Report
by KALHAN ROSENBLATT

Fourteen-year-old Naika Venant spent nearly three hours broadcasting herself on Facebook Live in the bathroom of her foster parent's home as she contemplated whether or not to end her life.

Many watching the livestream pleaded with the Miami-Dade teen not to kill herself, according to a Florida Department of Children and Families report. But some egged her on, calling the situation "fake."

The report, released on Monday, alleges one of the people who sent her taunting messages appears to be her mother, Gina Caze.

Naika died after hanging herself on January 22 during the Facebook broadcast, according to the DCF.

Using the alias "Gina Alexis," Naika's mother allegedly sent a message prior to the girl's suicide "that could be considered mentally injurious to her suicidal child and failed to seek help for her daughter," according to the report.

Naika Venant, 14, broadcast her suicide on Facebook Live. via Facebook
"#ADHD games played u sad little DCF custody jit that's why u where u at for this dumb s--t n more u keep crying wolf u dead u will get buried life goes on after a jit that doesn't listen to there parents trying to be grown seeking boys and girls attention instead of her books," the comment read.

But Caze's attorney, Howard Talenfeld, says the DCF's report is incorrect in asserting that Caze made the remarks during the live stream and the comment was made after Naika's death.

"She was not aware of the live feed and to this day has never seen it. She wasn't interviewed," Talenfeld told NBC News. "There was a point where in time after Naika had passed that she was told that this was a hoax, and she took a tough love approach, and made a comment on Facebook after Naika had already passed away that this kind of behavior was not going to gain positive attention."

An abuse report filed on February 9 that suggested Caze made the deriding remarks triggered DCF Secretary Mike Carroll to conduct a special review of Naika's case, the report says.

In the months leading up to her death, Naika told her case manager that she was sad her mother had said she didn't want the teen in her custody and that she would eventually "age out" of the foster care system, the report says.

But the report also says Naika had plans for the future and seemed "upbeat about graduating from high school" and going to college.

The report also says there was no allegation of abuse or neglect on the part of Naika's foster parents.

Naika spent more than two years in foster care over an eight-year span, and had been in foster care for nine months when she died, the report says. Caze relinquished custody of Naika on April 20, 2016, saying she no longer wanted her daughter in her home.

The DCF received reports regarding Naika's care for the first time in December 2006 after the then-4-year-old was left home alone without food or water for an hour, according to the report. In 2008, at age 5, Caze allegedly refused to let Naika be admitted to a hospital for a chronic health condition and called her child a "liar" and a "faker," the report says.

In 2009, Naika was removed from her home for the first time after Caze allegedly beat the child with a belt, resulting in more than 30 marks on her arms, legs and back, the report states. Caze allegedly abused the child after discovering the 6-year-old engaging in a sexual act, according to the document.

In the nine months leading up to her death, Naika changed placements 14 times, mostly due to behavioral issues.

An assessment of Naika's case by the DCF found that her treatment "focused primarily on the symptoms of her trauma rather than addressing the trauma itself."

"There is little we can say that adequately describes the sorrow we still feel today from the loss of Naika," Carroll said in a statement. "It is even more exacerbated by the information that was learned during the course of the [Critical Incident Rapid Response Team] investigation - that this is a child who endured great trauma in her life and despite many service interventions, we were not able to put the pieces back together to prevent her from taking her own life in such a public forum."

But Talenfeld said he thinks the blame has been shifted from the DCF to Caze.

"I believe department is deflecting blame on the grieving mother instead of accepting the responsibility of the failure of its privatized agencies," he said.

After the CIRRT investigation, Carroll said changes to be implemented immediately include: Deploy a peer review team to review communication, information sharing, and transparency within the local system of care; Develop and provide training on mental health literacy for DCF child protective investigators, case managers, and foster parents; Develop training for foster parents on the use of social media by children in their care and the warning signs of inappropriate internet behavior.
I will say the Florida Department of Children and Families Sucks.

I will also say that the semen receptacle that gave birth to this poor child should be put in a room with an air and water recycling system so that I don't have to inhale any air molecules she has or consume any water particles she has.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Re: Teen Killing Self on FB Live Taunted By "Mother"*

Post by Joun_Lord »

As someone whose been through the child protective services ringer after child abuse I know a little of what this girl went through and what I'd like to happen to her "mother" and the workers who failed her I cannot say without sounding like an internet tough guy. I'm generally a pretty lenient sort but child abuse is just my berserk trigger.

I just wonder, does Facebook not have any monitoring for their livestreams? Is there no report button or is it like some crossing buttons where its there more for show? With a 3 hour livestream there should have been plenty of time for someone to get a hold of some Facebook drone who could contact the girl's local police or for viewers to contact the police if possible (if they knew the girls location which they probably did not save one).

This ain't me blaming facebook but goddamn they need improved policies if suicide, torture, and murder can all be broadcast over their service.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Joun_Lord wrote:As someone whose been through the child protective services ringer after child abuse I know a little of what this girl went through and what I'd like to happen to her "mother" and the workers who failed her I cannot say without sounding like an internet tough guy. I'm generally a pretty lenient sort but child abuse is just my berserk trigger.

I just wonder, does Facebook not have any monitoring for their livestreams? Is there no report button or is it like some crossing buttons where its there more for show? With a 3 hour livestream there should have been plenty of time for someone to get a hold of some Facebook drone who could contact the girl's local police or for viewers to contact the police if possible (if they knew the girls location which they probably did not save one).

This ain't me blaming facebook but goddamn they need improved policies if suicide, torture, and murder can all be broadcast over their service.
I can't say I've been through the DCF ringer, but I know kids who had and remember when there were so few places to house them that they would put them in hotel rooms unsupervised except for a visit at most once a day. Then they sectioned off part of the Juvenile Detention center at some jails and housed them there, but they were essentially treated the same as the kids who were sentenced there for crimes even though there was no interaction. Then I got the fuck out of FL.

As far as FB goes, I wish there were an emergency alarm thing for suicide or other incidences but the amount of abuse it would get would make it more of a problem than a solution. So I don't hold FB accountable.

As for the mother... Keel Hauled Across the River Styx when her time comes. And no interactions with anyone under the age of 18 until that time comes.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Flagg wrote:I can't say I've been through the DCF ringer, but I know kids who had and remember when there were so few places to house them that they would put them in hotel rooms unsupervised except for a visit at most once a day. Then they sectioned off part of the Juvenile Detention center at some jails and housed them there, but they were essentially treated the same as the kids who were sentenced there for crimes even though there was no interaction. Then I got the fuck out of FL.

As far as FB goes, I wish there were an emergency alarm thing for suicide or other incidences but the amount of abuse it would get would make it more of a problem than a solution. So I don't hold FB accountable.

As for the mother... Keel Hauled Across the River Styx when her time comes. And no interactions with anyone under the age of 18 until that time comes.
My own experiences with my local CPS were mostly negative through inaction, just not giving a shit about blatant child abuse. I would have never got in their embrace if not for the fact my stepdad and mother were arrested on drug charges, she was declared an unfit parent for letting the shit happen (in her defense though she was being abused heavily too, drugged into a stupor thanks to my stepdad having access to medical supplies), and my sister that wasn't old enough to strike out on her own and my sorry ass were tossed in foster homes. Not to say my experience in foster care was positive, some angry emotionally and physically wounded teenage prototype emo douchebag with pretty bad cutting problems and a chip on his emaciated shoulders about his lack of religion tossed into a Jesus freak household, yeah not great. I can't entirely blame the fuckers for their reaction to me but I'm not exactly sympathetic when their go to response for unruly charges was to say it was the devil and have the little shit tossed into a kiddie loony bin.

I can understand FB not implementing some sort of alarm but their needs to be some sort of system in place to allow people to contact support staff in a reasonable time frame to deal with such content. 3 freaking hours this poor little girl agonized and could have been saved. And again, not blaming Facebook (thats a a first), they provide a service and aren't really to blame if someone uses it improperly. But I also think they could do more to prevent future incidents like this.

I mean it just boggles my freaking mind how goddamn preventable this was, how someone could have saved her life, she did not have to die. She might have been looking for help, some last gasp of humanity to stop her but nobody was able to but her egg donor. And we saw what the egg donor did, helped push her over that precipice. Its too late to save Naika but I hope to hell that this is used to help others in the future.

This little girl had a far too short life filled with more pain then anyone deserved and it all ended with a tragic preventable death exacerbated by someone that should have loved her unconditionally but was responsible for most of her pain. Its inexcusable.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Joun_Lord wrote:
Flagg wrote:I can't say I've been through the DCF ringer, but I know kids who had and remember when there were so few places to house them that they would put them in hotel rooms unsupervised except for a visit at most once a day. Then they sectioned off part of the Juvenile Detention center at some jails and housed them there, but they were essentially treated the same as the kids who were sentenced there for crimes even though there was no interaction. Then I got the fuck out of FL.

My own experiences with my local CPS were mostly negative through inaction, just not giving a shit about blatant child abuse. I would have never got in their embrace if not for the fact my stepdad and mother were arrested on drug charges, she was declared an unfit parent for letting the shit happen (in her defense though she was being abused heavily too, drugged into a stupor thanks to my stepdad having access to medical supplies), and my sister that wasn't old enough to strike out on her own and my sorry ass were tossed in foster homes. Not to say my experience in foster care was positive, some angry emotionally and physically wounded teenage prototype emo douchebag with pretty bad cutting problems and a chip on his emaciated shoulders about his lack of religion tossed into a Jesus freak household, yeah not great. I can't entirely blame the fuckers for their reaction to me but I'm not exactly sympathetic when their go to response for unruly charges was to say it was the devil and have the little shit tossed into a kiddie loony bin.

I can understand FB not implementing some sort of alarm but their needs to be some sort of system in place to allow people to contact support staff in a reasonable time frame to deal with such content. 3 freaking hours this poor little girl agonized and could have been saved. And again, not blaming Facebook (thats a a first), they provide a service and aren't really to blame if someone uses it improperly. But I also think they could do more to prevent future incidents like this.

I mean it just boggles my freaking mind how goddamn preventable this was, how someone could have saved her life, she did not have to die. She might have been looking for help, some last gasp of humanity to stop her but nobody was able to but her egg donor. And we saw what the egg donor did, helped push her over that precipice. Its too late to save Naika but I hope to hell that this is used to help others in the future.

This little girl had a far too short life filled with more pain then anyone deserved and it all ended with a tragic preventable death exacerbated by someone that should have loved her unconditionally but was responsible for most of her pain. Its inexcusable.
Yeah, FDCF would ignore a lot because it wasn't "get kids out of horrible situation with horrible parents", it was "keep the family together".
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

DCF/CPS etc etc are the (ironic) red-headed step-children of the civil service. They are under-funded and hamstrung by laws designed to "keep the family together" written by "family values" asshats. Plus the case workers themselves... dear god do they see the absolute worst that humanity has to offer. Eventually they burn out, and turnover is very high. Foster parents... are people. They range from human trash who are in it for the check/power to human saints who have taken in a steady stream of broken children for the past 30 years and turned them into adults who feel loved and valued.

The inadequacy of that system drives me up a god damned wall.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:DCF/CPS etc etc are the (ironic) red-headed step-children of the civil service. They are under-funded and hamstrung by laws designed to "keep the family together" written by "family values" asshats. Plus the case workers themselves... dear god do they see the absolute worst that humanity has to offer. Eventually they burn out, and turnover is very high. Foster parents... are people. They range from human trash who are in it for the check/power to human saints who have taken in a steady stream of broken children for the past 30 years and turned them into adults who feel loved and valued.

The inadequacy of that system drives me up a god damned wall.
Yeah. A huge problem truly is the case worker's seeing ungodly horrid shit so often that things that would horrify anyone short of a psychopath, is almost like "another day at the office" due to the regulations and laws you mentioned, so the case worker doesn't see the horrible neglect and abuse, they see "infractions" that have to be fixed after a certain amount of time and when they come back, unless the "infractions" haven't been taken care of, they can't do jack shit.

And because of turnover (and there always being a shortage) the next time that household is reported it's likely a new case worker will show up (maybe reading past reports maybe not) and the whole game being played by the guy that abuses his kids and pissed in the gene pool starts around again.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Joun_Lord wrote:I just wonder, does Facebook not have any monitoring for their livestreams? Is there no report button or is it like some crossing buttons where its there more for show? With a 3 hour livestream there should have been plenty of time for someone to get a hold of some Facebook drone who could contact the girl's local police or for viewers to contact the police if possible (if they knew the girls location which they probably did not save one).

I don't know if they have a report button on livestreams, though it wouldn't surprise me. (I've never looked for it.) I do know that I regularly report fake accounts that try to friend me peddling porn (and presumably malware) and the report is usually responded to within the hour.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician