Remake old shows / movies

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Remake old shows / movies

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Never seen the show, but from that description, it has a sort of Pirates of the Caribbean-type vibe.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Firefly, sadly, strikes me as almost un-remakeable for at least a generation, as its die-hard fan base would likely largely refuse to accept a different cast or writers (and using the exact same cast is impossible, sadly, now that the actor who played Book has passed on).
The die hard fan base? All three of them? Provided the remake didn't make Mal a woman or something like that, I doubt anyone will really rail against it too heavily. Firefly is easy to remake as a show because the premise is simple enough, and you could dodge broadcast media to reach a the target audience through online media. Then people can run around calling themselves Browncoats while Fox makes a mint from the merch.

That said, I'd like Whedon out of the showrunner position.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The thing is, the show does have a hard core fan base... and never had very much broad appeal outside of it, apparently. That's a tricky proposition for rebooting, unless its a very broad strokes only adaptation (which it probably would not be with Whedon at the helm again).

Trying to reach a larger audience through online media is an interesting proposition, though, and one that wasn't really an option back when Firefly first aired. Netflix's "Firefly" has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

And now I kind of want to see Fem-Mal, damn it. :D
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

So you did what they did when they rebooted Star Trek. Fuck the "hard core" fans and focus on a wider viewership. When making a consumer product, if the hardcore fans aren't enough to make it profitable then they're not worth the effort to court.

Keep the space western, strip some of the Whedon from it, and it'd probably be a fun show.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

I would totally remake one of the sci-fi classics, Logan's Run (1976). And have Michael York play the old guy.

The Warriors (1979) was a favorite of mine and needs a modern makeover. Vin Diesel would be my first choice to play Swan.

Kolchak: The Night Stalker (1974-1975) would be cool to see on television once again. I also liked Banecek (1972-1974) as well.

Since remakes are the topic here, I just discovered one of my favorite cop shows, "CHiP's" (1977-1983), is getting a movie. I'd nominate that for a TV show remake also, but a more serious version, not a comedy.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

I'd like to see a COMPETENTLY DONE remake of 'Beast Wars'. I wonder if Universal is willing to license the designs of King Kong and the dinosaurs from the 2005 movie? Imagine Optimus Prime (NOT Primal) and Megatron traveling to Earth in search of the fabled "ultra-energon," only to be forced into beast modes due to unforeseen effects of Shockwave's attempts to enhance energon, and eventually forgetting they could transform? Millennia later, Carl Denham travels to Skull Island, seeking to capture Kong. Seeing firearms for the first time in millennia, forces Kong to remember his true name: OPTIMUS PRIME. Denham is then shocked to see the "giant gorilla" transform into a robot and- learning English via intercepts of radio broadcasts- initiate First Contact protocols.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)