Do you watch films in black and white?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

How do you watch a film?

Black and White(even if there is a colorized option)
13%
Black and White or Color, doesn't matter to me
67%
Color preferably
20%
Color only, I turn it off if it's in black and white
No votes

Total votes: 30

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Do you watch films in black and white?

Post by FaxModem1 »

Simple question, if there's a film in Black and White, whether due to the time it was made, or if it has a Black and White option if it was made in after the invention of technicolor, which do you choose?

Why?

For myself, I love a lot of movies from the 1930s, and whenever I see them colorized, they look awful to me and I lose a bit of the magic that the film has. This ends up with me being sucked out of the movie a little. I know that doesn't sound rational, but it's how my mind works.

This has also led to some interesting choices when modern media want to do a sequence or bits in black and white. For example, the Walking Dead had a gimmick of airing the pilot in Black and White, which a lot of people found to be an improvement compared to the original version aired in color. Why is that? How does that work?

I've known some people who can't even stand to watch old movies because they're in black and white, and will only watch it if it has a colorized version.

How about yourself?
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Re: Do you watch films in black and white?

Post by Zixinus »

I can respect it as a deliberate artistic decision and I don't mind it when it is simply due to age. However, I am not enamored by black and white.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I don't dislike it, and it can be very effective. Probably depends on the visual style of the work in question, and the tone the director is going for. Black and white works for film noir, for example.

For recent movies, I seem to recall reading somewhere that Fury Road's director wanted it to be in black and white. :)

As an ardent advocate of visual realism, I feel like I ought to prefer colour, but their is something about black and white that can be appealing to me.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

I prefer to watch colour, probably because that's what I'm used to, but if it's B&W and I want to watch it, so be it.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Depends on the movie.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

If it was made black and white or if it is an artistic choice, I will see it in B&W.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

That's same for me, even if there's colorized option avaible for older films if they were not filmed in color film the colorized options tend to end up looking rather crappy.

Also if done well black and white with blotches of color in specific scenes or items can be very effective.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

I have to watch films in colour, otherwise I have recurring panic attacks about being polymorphed into a dog.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

As long as it's entertaining I'm not fussy. I tend to prefer color though.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

If the film is originally in B/W, then I'll watch it that way.

However, I don't mind docos which use colourised historical footage, because they're somewhat fun.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I spent the first 22 years of my life watching everything on the TV in black in white. It doesn't bother me. Color is nice, but not required.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Starglider wrote:I have to watch films in colour, otherwise I have recurring panic attacks about being polymorphed into a dog.
Do we even want to know?
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Imperial528 wrote:
Starglider wrote:I have to watch films in colour, otherwise I have recurring panic attacks about being polymorphed into a dog.
Do we even want to know?
I would hope that would only be taken seriously if posted on Tumblr.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Black and white if that was the era they were made in.

Black and white if that was an artistic choice, although I will always be thinking if it could have been done better in colour.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Huh. I think the use of predominately black and white in Schindler's List with extremely limited use of color was quite effective. As just one example.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Starglider wrote:
Imperial528 wrote:
Do we even want to know?
I would hope that would only be taken seriously if posted on Tumblr.
I was hoping for a film recommendation.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I watch a lot of older films and documentaries that use archival footage, so black and white has never bothered me. I will watch movies in whatever color scheme they were originally produced in.

Good recommendation for those who speak German (you might be able to find a subtitled version...)

M(1931) directed by Fritz Lang, about the manhunt for a serial killer of children, features rumination on the justice of the death penalty in 1931 Germany.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

For me, it depends on the movie. If the Criterion Collection releases it, I'll likely watch it. I did, however, recently see It's a Wonderful Life for the first time. It's pretty awesome.

Now, modern black and white movies annoy me if they are horribly done. Mad Max Fury Road has a horrendous B&W conversion. It's flat and boring .
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

B&W conversion for modern movies are probably gonna suck as those films were not made with B&W in mind.

This will probably be heresy to most here but I think of filming in black and white in modern times like using CGI effects, if you know the weaknesses and strength what you're doing it'll be great but if you don't and you do it "because reasons" you'll end up with something that's worse then had you not use that thing at all (be it B&W film or CGI).
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Lord Revan wrote:B&W conversion for modern movies are probably gonna suck as those films were not made with B&W in mind.
Fury Road was intended to be B&W, If I recall correctly.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Sad part, "Turner Classic Movies" (who commonly colorizes and broadcasts classic b&w films) are also compressed (and edited) for time and content, so even if you turn the color off, you aren't getting the original film. Wonder if it's compressed? Watch how fast the smoke (from the cigarettes not being smoked on-screen) rises. If you have to ask if it's edited, you'll never understand.

It would be amusing if it wasn't parodied in the finale of Thank You For Smoking, where the crusader was "improving history" (editing classic stills and movies so noone was smoking.)
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

JLTucker wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:B&W conversion for modern movies are probably gonna suck as those films were not made with B&W in mind.
Fury Road was intended to be B&W, If I recall correctly.
That would be the first time I've heard of that and it certainly doesn't look like a film that was made with B&W in mind.