What kind of artwork do you have in your home?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Aether
Youngling

What kind of artwork do you have in your home?

Post by Aether »

As the title states, what kind of artwork do you have in your home? Paintings, prints, sculptures, etc. and would you recommended their art for other people to decorate their home with?

That's probably a big question. I am asking because I have started to collect Ansel Adam prints to hang around the house. I am not really a big artsy fartsy person, so the black and white landscaping photos he took are not "too out there" in terms of color or design.

I could never get into antiques, like sculptures, because I feel that they get in my way.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: What kind of artwork do you have in your home?

Post by Lonestar »

In our bedroom: A bunch of retro WPA-ish framed national parks/public lands posters.

In the living room a large map of the US and a large map of the world. We have pinned on each all the places we've been

We also have framed copies of our respective shellback/crossing the line certificates.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I'm not sure if they count as "artwork" but I got photos of my family summer cabin if frames in my living room and in my bed room. Also I got metallic picture or what ever that came with collectors edition of Overwatch.

those are the stuff that's actually hanged and not just stored in some random corner.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Got a few dragon sculptures which I collected back in the day. Nowadays I have several paintings or posters up.

I have several dragon pictures purchased from Ebay and framed (both big and small), various sci fi pictures from Doctor Who and also pictures from places I have visited. Got a photograph on the stand from Helsinki purchased at the markets, got a oil painting of Ecuadorian musicians purchased from that country, got a painting of colourful Gamla Stan in Stockholm, and Bergen from Norway.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I have a small collection of die-cast battleships and a print of "The Fighting Temeraire" by JM Turner. Not a big artsy person, but that painting is awesome.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Is a collection of Star Wars Figures and Transformers considered art? Other then that I have a model of the Titanic and a needle point of it plus some Star Wars Posters in my room.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I tend to cover all available wall space in bookshelves before I can hang anything on it. So book spines?
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Lots of prints. Our bedrooms have a selection of photos that we've taken, mostly scenery and travel photos. The "public" rooms in our home have black & white art nudes on the walls. My wife was a bit upset when she finally realized that our home is filled with framed prints of naked women.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

No art. Pure white everywhere. I like the blank canvas. Except for this one painting in my dining room, which is part of a tryptich of gardens that my oldest regular has the other two pieces of (I have no idea why; man lacks culture in most ways, but he has two paintings related to mine), which I have officially left to him when I die if he outlives me (if not, Napoleon, feel free to claim my shit), because why not? They belong together.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I have a few paintings from my late grandmother's house, most are by her though one is by an Asian artist. She liked to paint in Japanese and Chinese style. Apart from that, we have remarkably little artwork up, most of what little is on the walls is family photos.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Mostly framed photos of places/trips we've been on. I stuck a large puzzle I did 20 years ago in a picture frame (basically squashed behind glass to hold together), that's of a picture I really like from a childhood novel (always meant to do the same with the rest of the collection).

I bought a large painting of a sea turtle on a trip I did with my current partner early in our relationship, she liked the picture so I smuggled the canvas back without her knowing and went and got it framed. It now has pride of place in the living room.

I used to have some of my collection of "sharp & pointies" hanging on the wall but with extended family running amuck I was struggling with getting it through to inlaws that 'no you probably shouldn't just handle my swords without asking' and the blade tips were a bit close to eye height for youngsters so they got pulled down for safekeeping all round.

There's a couple of inherited framed paintings/needlepoints of colonial Australia and we have a "geek shelf" with an assortment of geeky collectables on it.

Otherwise all spare wallspace gets turned into bookshelves for me.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

Not a lot. In the lounge room, there's a landscape we got off the wife's mother because she didn't want it and it's kind of nice, and there's an airbrushed picture of a silvery moon over the sea that I'm rather pleased with because I painted it.
In the dining/game's room there's a painting of a barbarian on a black horse my mum did with hobbytex (basically a paint-by-numbers), and she did a damn fine job, too, and there's a large print of a dragon, a castle, the sea, and a lot of soldiers disembarking from galleys to attack the castle at night.
There's nothing else, really, except for various little bits the previous occupant left behind and we left up because why not, and some stuff the kids made.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Nice try, future burgler.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Let's see ...

My living room has several prints in it. A couple by my sister, one by an old childhood friend of mine, and a couple by local artists (I have a bit of a bat theme, oddly enough: I have two different bat pictures on the wall as well, as well as some little toy bats sitting on a bookshelf). I have several framed illustrations by John Tenniel (one from an old 1890s version of "Alice in Wonderland" and another from an Edgar Allen Poe collection, featuring a scene from the story "Masque of the Red Death"). I also have a couple small sculptures, random knick-knacks (like a djembe and a crocodile skull and a cool steampunk candle holder thing and other random shit), and two tapestries (one from Madagascar, the other from Malawi). My kitchen has a couple little wooden fish statues by a local artist.

Going up my staircase I have glass cases with insect specimens in them, and some prayer flags at the top. My bedroom is mostly bare, except for some coyote pelts and a couple large prints of my sister's. My guest room has random posters hanging around: a couple just generic posters for sports teams I like and some band posters, but there's also a handful of random small pieces of artwork from Japan and the Middle East, plus another tapestry from Madagascar.

That's not getting into my bookshelves, coffee table books (if you count those), and the various plants I have everywhere.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

As for suggestions for the OP, Ansel Adams is a great choice. My favorite are from his "Taos Pueblo" portfolio. His photography is brilliant, but very non-ostentatious, so makes for a great decoration choice around a home. If you want to get more into the aesthetics, you could keep a theme in each room with the types of photos you choose.

If you like Ansel Adams, look into Paul Strand, Edward Stieglitz, Edward Weston ("Nautilus" is one of my all-time favorites), Imogen Cunningham, or Berenice Abbott. If you want to get a little more adventurous, go with Man Ray.