Food Reduction

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Food Reduction

Post by Soontir C'boath »

What items of food have you noticed decreased in weight/size?

I know Nathan's hot dogs eight pack went from 16 to 14, and then now to 12 ounces. A can of tuna (Chicken of the Sea) is 4 ounces instead of 5. Curious to know what else has been reduced.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Food Reduction

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I haven't measured them to prove it, but I've noticed that items purchased at Starbuck's (cookies, muffins, etc.) seem to be smaller than they used to be (while naturally the prices stay where they are or go up).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

Mars Bars. I remember all the song and dance they made when they increased the size to 60g.
It's now down around 50g, and, you know? I don't remember them saying a word.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Combo bags went from 8 to 6 ounces years ago, at least a decade ago. I recall some candy shrank back when I was still in high school, IIRC this was very specifically linked to a surge in world chocolate prices around that time that came down to Global Warming vs rising demand from Asian markets, not just China.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

There was a bit of a run up about... ehh... I guess ten years ago or so, with all the chains trying to top each other. Then SuperSize Me came out and while it wasn't *that* great of a documentary it did draw some people's attentions to what was going on there. Since then, portion sizes and such have definitely come down a good bit, especially at sit-down restaurants. Prices haven't though.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Well, there were some squid rings that you could get from hungry jacks, a few years ago their were thick, juicy, and full of bulging luscious squid meat, but now they're dried up batter sticks filled with holes and no squid.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Getting less for your money has been a fairly standard way for inflation to be 'handled' throughout history. It's a truism that food prices have been rising in recent years due to fuel costs (climate change may also be in play in some cases), so I'm not surprised at widespread portion shrinking.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Particularly in chocolate bars which tend to be positioned as an impulse purchase, there's an upper ceiling to the price people are willing to pay per unit. So as costs rise (cocoa production is down globally) and the markets increase (demand increasing in Russia, China, and Brazil), something has go give.

If the price can't rise, the portion goes down.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Vendetta wrote: If the price can't rise, the portion goes down.
Notably true in convenience/snack foods. There's only so much that people are willing to pay for that stuff in general. Say a bag of chips, maybe 4oz-- if the price is much above say two USD, it had better be either some very good/special chips, or people won't be paying that much for chips. Candy bars, chocolate bars, that kind of thing, same rule-- it has to be low enough that people can go "give me twenty bucks of gas on pump two, eh, and this too [grabs Snickers]" without flinching.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

My mother and I have been noticing this for years. I do not have a problem, per se, with decreasing the amount/size of something due to increased prices of ingredients or increased transportation costs. Nor do I have problem with increasing the price of goods to reflect said increases. What draws my ire is when they do both. Pick one option or the other, no double dipping. It turns out you that you can have your cake and eat it too, at least if you are a corporation. This is not even considering actual inflation or the stagnation of income.
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

https://consumerist.com/tag/grocery-shrink-ray-2/

It's been noticed and documented for quite some time of course. The worst is when the container stays the same size, but the bottom is domed up, not only making less there but more hard to get at the stuff in the newly made corners so more wasted too.