You've just killed your past self (RAR)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: You've just killed your past self (RAR)

Post by General Zod »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:It depends somewhat on the limits of what Q is willing to give you in terms of corroboratory evidence that time travel was somehow involved. But, as a general rule, it seems unlikely to me that investigators would ignore all of the forensic evidence that you and the deceased person are the same and just lock you up. Even if they don't take time travel seriously as an idea, that's still a pretty huge mystery for them to unravel, and one that will only get more complicated the more scientific tools they bring to bear to figure it out.
I don't see any reason to take the risk that the police will even remotely be on your side. There's thousands of ways this can go wrong.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Yeah, well. Locked up doesn't mean convicted. Sometimes the cops just slap the cuffs on until they figure out that shit is too complicated and they don't want to bother. Speaking from experience.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

General Zod wrote: I don't see any reason to take the risk that the police will even remotely be on your side. There's thousands of ways this can go wrong.
But, again, it comes down to how much Q is willing to give you. It's not clear from the OP how he will respond to requests specifically to provide evidence that you came from the future. If he refuses to do anything for reasons, yeah it's probably not the safe call. But if he's willing to give you some kind of evidence (whatever that may be), it changes the arithmetic.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Q can give you as much as you want but that doesn't guarantee the police won't just ignore it in favor of an easy conviction. Even if you can prove time travel you have no evidence it was Q's fault. They could craft a new law just for time travel murder.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

General Zod wrote:Q can give you as much as you want but that doesn't guarantee the police won't just ignore it in favor of an easy conviction. Even if you can prove time travel you have no evidence it was Q's fault. They could craft a new law just for time travel murder.
In the US at least, they cannot apply that to you. Murder also requires intent... people who kill while sleep-walking have been acquitted on that basis.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
General Zod wrote:Q can give you as much as you want but that doesn't guarantee the police won't just ignore it in favor of an easy conviction. Even if you can prove time travel you have no evidence it was Q's fault. They could craft a new law just for time travel murder.
In the US at least, they cannot apply that to you. Murder also requires intent... people who kill while sleep-walking have been acquitted on that basis.
So they charge you with manslaughter instead. I still don't see the benefit of going to the authorities.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Yeah, fuck calling the cops. Not gonna do it. No offense to the cops on this board (except every single cop on this board. I don't need you bastards. I can handle my own shit, and you've never treated me like a human being, and also fuck you). Maybe be better people if you want people to not hate your guts. Good idea?

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

What makes you think it is such an easy conviction? Even ignoring the fact that we have the magical ability to manipulate the evidence that the cops find essentially without limits, this isn't a very clear cut case, unless the police barge in on you standing over the dead body with the bat in your hand (which it would seem to me actually violates the OP, since it doesn't imply at all that you are at risk of being caught "red-handed", and rather gives you all the leeway to present the situation as you see fit). On what basis are the cops actually going to convict you? What evidence do they have?
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:
What makes you think it is such an easy conviction? Even ignoring the fact that we have the magical ability to manipulate the evidence that the cops find essentially without limits, this isn't a very clear cut case, unless the police barge in on you standing over the dead body with the bat in your hand (which it would seem to me actually violates the OP, since it doesn't imply at all that you are at risk of being caught "red-handed", and rather gives you all the leeway to present the situation as you see fit). On what basis are the cops actually going to convict you? What evidence do they have?
Can you afford a good lawyer? Because if not the police will literally use everything you tell them against you. Even if you're 100% innocent all they have to do is catch you lying about something or believe you're lying and your ass is nailed. At this point I'm struggling to see any benefits in going to the authorities.

But I'll just leave this here. https://youtu.be/i8z7NC5sgik
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

That ... didn't answer any of the questions I raised in my post? For the umpteenth time, you continue to approach this as if we don't have a near-omnipotent being capable of providing us with any and all possible contingencies, ignoring that all with vague appeals to cops being assholes and convicting for reasons. I think this is just going to have to be an "agree to disagree" situation for us.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:That ... didn't answer any of the questions I raised in my post? For the umpteenth time, you continue to approach this as if we don't have a near-omnipotent being capable of providing us with any and all possible contingencies, ignoring that all with vague appeals to cops being assholes and convicting for reasons. I think this is just going to have to be an "agree to disagree" situation for us.
My problem is to me there's no benefit talking to the cops. Unless you can afford a good attorney you will be spending time in jail, at the very least until your trial and maybe acquittal.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

General Zod wrote:My problem is to me there's no benefit talking to the cops. Unless you can afford a good attorney you will be spending time in jail, at the very least until your trial and maybe acquittal.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but some of us are better at it than others. There's this thing about autism. I have to consciously try not to have a flat affect. It just comes naturally. I also had very nosy parents. I learned how to lie very early. I also play poker very well.

Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

Right, it's been a while since I've posted in this. First thing, Q is not willing to provide evidence of time travel. But he is willing to provide you with some tools for a conventional cover-up.

Okay, is anyone interested in some variations on the initial scenario? First would being sent back to 20 years from now instead of 10. If that's too much, you can try 15 years.

Second is the scenario proposed by aerius, that you've killed a version of yourself 10 years ago in a alternate Earth. You can ask Q to put some knowledge of the differences between our Earth and the alternate Earth. But he will only put in specific knowledge in response to queries you make about the alternate earth. But the queries themselves do need to be specific. Also, you can look around your immediate area and make observations before asking Q about stuff you want put into your notebook. I'll just tell you what you see.
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
My Ko-Fi Page - Currently Seeking Aid with moving home
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

This shouldn't even be a point of discussion.
If you're being given any chance of hiding the body and covering it up, just do it.
Whether or not you get arrested, and whether or not you get convicted after, there isn't any benefit to letting the body be found.

I mean, as the OP goes, the dead past you is already dead when you started. It wasn't your fault. You have to move forward in the most efficient way possible now.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Cykeisme wrote:This shouldn't even be a point of discussion.
Yeah, that's kind of my position, given no explanation. You dump a body on my hands, the body goes away, even if it appears to be mine. The immediate crisis takes precedence and then I sit down and figure shit out. I own a couple of shovels and I have a couple of friends who I can call for... well, let's just say pretty much anything. Who can't handle this? What, you've never hidden a human body before? Okay, maybe not, but you can figure it out.