Animals Seeking Help From Humans

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Animals Seeking Help From Humans

Post by Broomstick »

Humans are pretty dangerous creatures, which is why so many wild animals give us a wide berth. But sometimes an animal needs help and approaches humans.

I think it's important not to read too much into the video. Sharks are clearly not simply mindless eating machines, and we know they go to "cleaning stations" where certain fish species like cleaner wrasses provide a service for many species so to some extent this could be an extension of such behavior. Also, since this group provides a "feeding station" it's not that bizarre an injured shark would show up for what is probably an easy meal and feel non-threatened enough to allow humans to approach.

Here's a raven that allows a human to help it. Clearly, the raven is in pain and pulling the quills out hurts but the bird sticks around until the job is done and although it clearly protests it doesn't injure the human helping it.

I find these sorts of incidents fascinating.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Re: Animals Seeking Help From Humans

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Can't seem to find it now, but I recently saw a video of a man helping a skunk that had its head trapped inside of a soda can. The skunk let him help then just waddled off down the road, happy as can be.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

My beagle routinely requests help getting into the food pantry.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Domestic animals don't count for purposes of this thread.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Broomstick wrote:Domestic animals don't count for purposes of this thread.
Yeah; they're accustomed to people and, in most cases, have at least a vague understanding of their relationship. Pets in particular will know what they can and can't do, and know that doing certain things will provoke certain reactions. They will have certain expectations (cows come in at night and get a nice feed, etc) that wild animals just don't have.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Ah well with that being said then, I did get a lizard stuck in the bird netting I keep over my pond to keep predators out. He was wrapped up pretty good in it and would have died. He was a pretty large alligator lizard and mean-looking, but he let me handle him as I cut away the netting from his body with a pair of scissors. He seemed to know that I was helping to free him, so he didn't struggle or snap at me or anything. When I finally got enough net snipped to free his legs, he wiggled out and just looked over his shoulder at me before he wandered off. He didn't come to me seeking help but he seemed to know I wasn't going to hurt him, so he remained calm.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Borgholio wrote:Ah well with that being said then, I did get a lizard stuck in the bird netting I keep over my pond to keep predators out. He was wrapped up pretty good in it and would have died. He was a pretty large alligator lizard and mean-looking, but he let me handle him as I cut away the netting from his body with a pair of scissors. He seemed to know that I was helping to free him, so he didn't struggle or snap at me or anything. When I finally got enough net snipped to free his legs, he wiggled out and just looked over his shoulder at me before he wandered off. He didn't come to me seeking help but he seemed to know I wasn't going to hurt him, so he remained calm.
If he was on the cooler end of things, that'd easily explain it.

A raven (or any other corvid) approaching a human for help, or at least not immediately fleeing and then realizing the human was helping, isn't shocking. If they've had positive experiences in the past they'll be more prone to trusting humans to begin with, and they're damn smart birds. Smarter than a parrot.

There's a video floating about of some raccoons stuck in a dumpster, and a person pushes a board in so they can get out. One gives the person what appears to be a nod of appreciation, though I doubt that's what it really was. Raccoons are clever bastards, from what I can tell, so I'm guessing it figured out the person was benign enough.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Here is one video about a humpback whale accepting assisstance from humans

My own personal experience with wild animals are not that strong. All I have done is nurse a few wounded and or starving hedgehogs back to full health.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Broomstick wrote:Sharks are clearly not simply mindless eating machines, and we know they go to "cleaning stations" where certain fish species like cleaner wrasses provide a service for many species so to some extent this could be an extension of such behavior. Also, since this group provides a "feeding station" it's not that bizarre an injured shark would show up for what is probably an easy meal and feel non-threatened enough to allow humans to approach.
I always seek help from humans when I'm seriously injured. That said, I did put away an entire pizza the other day.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Some asshole left an illegal gill net in a god damn pond. I happened across a water snake that was caught in it to the point that the net had cut through to its rib cage. Water snakes are not the most pleasant of snakes to deal with, they tend to defend themselves very aggressively, and this snake did. Until I started cutting the net away and it was not in as much pain. She calmed down rather quickly after that and let me take her back to my lab where I cleaned her injuries, packed them with wet gauze, and then changed them every day for a week. Once the wounds started closed up I let her go. Never tried to bite me once.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj6quKEn3dw Baby fox approached people for help with jar stuck in head
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.