What's to see in Germany?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

What's to see in Germany?

Post by mr friendly guy »

Because this board has always given me great travel advice, I thought I will try again.

Last time it gave me great advice for the Nordic countries and Edi was able to show me around Helsinki.

So next year I am thinking of going to Europe, most probably seeing Amsterdam (since it seems the transit point anyway from Australia to other European destinations). Then I will pop over into Germany. Now I am thinking of doing this in the first half of the year, maybe around April depending on whether I can get leave. I am thinking of spending around 2-3 weeks in Europe, anything less and its not really worth the long trip from Australia to Europe.

Talking to colleagues who have actually been to Germany it seems I can get away with English, which is good as my German is non existent.

So what's to see? I mean which cities? Is there much cultural difference between regions of Germany (I assume so since historically German regions were once separate states in their own right)? I sort of thinking of Berlin (because its the capital), Cologne (because of the reputation for a party atmosphere) and maybe one other.

Any suggestions?
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Re: What's to see in Germany?

Post by K. A. Pital »

1. Interesting places will be more interesting if you know German or someone who knows German. Sometimes no English information about cultural relics or other things will be offered, although the place could be interesting.

2. We (me and my wife) could show you around and host you if you arrive in a certain city. More via PM.

3. There's a whole lot of difference (parts of Germany used to be different feudal states, after all). In food as well.

4. Berlin is a must, though be aware Germany is big. A trip there will take time. Some cultural relics of Roman times (if you're interested) are located along the former West Roman Empire border in the Frankfurt area. Book high-speed trains well in advance, and you can get very cheap fares.

5. Amsterdam is a great city.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

I went to Berlin last year and had a fucking blast. If you like to party, this city has you covered, no matter what your exact kink is. Trust, Tausend, Principal Kreuzberg, Clarchens, Last Cathedral, Santa Maria, Berlin fucking pops. Be sure to get down to Kreuzberg and eat at a Turkish restaurant, in particular Doyum if you can find a seat.

My only complaint is that people can still smoke inside the clubs and bars, but that's a small price to pay. You'll have plenty of time for all the cultured tourist shit in the day, but this is a city that really does night life properly and you should make an effort to participate.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

The thread lives.

Ok so finally my leave got approved, with me only being granted 2 weeks of the 3 weeks I requested. Fortunately it starts on a tuesday, and the preceding Friday to Monday I am off, so I could theoretically come earlier to squeeze a few more days (when flying from Australia to Europe, you want a decent length trip to make up for the long flights). Unfortunately those extra days are the Easter holidays.

I imagine not all things will be as lively, so I am hoping to pop over and arrive on the Monday when the festivities will be dying down. But I thought I will put it out there, what is there to see during the Easter break? Are most shops and eateries still opened?

Thanks to K.A. Pital who has agreed to show me around Frankfurt. Looking forward to catching up with another SD.net denizen.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

If you can make it, go to Berlin. There is so much goddamned history in that city that you will never be bored. In particular, since it was the epicenter of the East/West partition of Germany, you can really gain an understanding of how the division affected the country and its people. And more practically, almost everyone speaks at least a little English, so you should be able to get by fairly painlessly.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

If you're into the history of cinema, I recommend the film museum at the Sony Centre in Potsdammerplatz. The signs are in English, and it's quite engaging.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

mr friendly guy wrote:But I thought I will put it out there, what is there to see during the Easter break? Are most shops and eateries still opened?
Eateries are open on public holidays, but 99% of the shops are closed (only those physically located at airports or railway stations are permitted to work on these days). So on these days, just walking around town watching architecture is probably the best one can do. Some museums are also open on holidays, check hours individually.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I hear the brothels are nice.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

mr friendly guy wrote:The thread lives.

Ok so finally my leave got approved, with me only being granted 2 weeks of the 3 weeks I requested. Fortunately it starts on a tuesday, and the preceding Friday to Monday I am off, so I could theoretically come earlier to squeeze a few more days (when flying from Australia to Europe, you want a decent length trip to make up for the long flights). Unfortunately those extra days are the Easter holidays.

I imagine not all things will be as lively, so I am hoping to pop over and arrive on the Monday when the festivities will be dying down. But I thought I will put it out there, what is there to see during the Easter break? Are most shops and eateries still opened?

Thanks to K.A. Pital who has agreed to show me around Frankfurt. Looking forward to catching up with another SD.net denizen.

PM me if you are interested in seeing some historical sites alongside the rhine river.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

I am tentatively planning to see Berlin, Frankfurt and Cologne, and given the way flights are, its hard to get many flights from Perth to Berlin believe it or not. So I will start in the Netherlands in Amsterdam then pop over to Cologne. I don't think I will be able to see things along the Rhine given my limited time off.

K.A. Pital, please check you pms.