Ordering Fish(?) and Chips across the UK

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Ordering Fish(?) and Chips across the UK

Post by Soontir C'boath »

What kind of fish would one get in parts of the UK? Is it a regional or individual shop preference?
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: Ordering Fish(?) and Chips across the UK

Post by Vendetta »

If it doesn't say, it'll usually be cod or haddock.

Though usually it says what type of fish it is.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Cod is the go-to option, you usually get a generously-sized slab of it unless the place is particularly stingey about it.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Indeed, the better ones tell you what it is, and, bizarrely, where the potatoes used for the chips come from.

I'm fairly lucky living in a large fishing port - we probably get more variety of battered fish options than most others.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Cod has been the traditional go to although certainly here (Edinburgh) it's become less common over the last decade or so and haddock is more or less the norm now.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Dartzap wrote:Indeed, the better ones tell you what it is, and, bizarrely, where the potatoes used for the chips come from.
Seems sweet potato fries is getting common in the states, it would certainly be interesting to also order different varieties with the fish.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Soontir C'boath wrote:
Dartzap wrote:Indeed, the better ones tell you what it is, and, bizarrely, where the potatoes used for the chips come from.
Seems sweet potato fries is getting common in the states, it would certainly be interesting to also order different varieties with the fish.
Ask for sweet potato fries in most chippies in Britain and you'll be met which a blank stare and a polite 'You what mate?' :lol:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

cod normally. Tilpia in a few places. We've eaten pretty much all the fish in our waters now.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I recommend ordering plaice instead, if it's on the menu. Not only is it more sustainable (cod has been overfished to the edge of extinction), I find it tastes better.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Its been my experience (though its been a long time since I ate fish and chips) that haddock is superior to cod, in any case.

Not sure how other fish stack up- to my knowledge, I've only ever had haddock and cod fish and chips.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

My local chippy has Cod and Haddock. There are actual Fish & Chip restaurants in this country which I'm guessing have other varieties, never actually went in one.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Chimaera wrote:
Soontir C'boath wrote:
Ask for sweet potato fries in most chippies in Britain and you'll be met which a blank stare and a polite 'You what mate?' :lol:
Ask for "fries" in a chip shop and you'd probably get thrown out.

Fries are sad thin soggy things you get in mcdonalds. Chips are mighty chunks of actual potato.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

The chippy I worked in for a summer did (and still does) cod, haddock, plaice, rock salmon, scampi and skate. Despite working there and having a hefty staff discount I never tried the fish (never been a fish person really) and had the battered sausages instead.

Also, it will make a difference what the shop uses in it's deep fryer. Most places use vegetable oil these days but a few (like my place) still fry in beef fat, and that really does make a difference to the food.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Oh, yeah, that reminds me. If the chippy offers Spam fritters, try one. They're amazing.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Zaune wrote:Oh, yeah, that reminds me. If the chippy offers Spam fritters, try one. They're amazing.
No, "amazing" isn't a spam fritter, "amazing" is a deep fried Mars Bar. :wink:

FWIW, I don't get fish & chips from the chip shop these days, it's very much on the expensive side. Bags of frozen big chunky oven chips, and four-in-a-box packs of frozen battered fish fillets, are much cheaper. Usually cod, although I do also have a nice bit of plaice sitting in the freezer until later on in the week.

Om nom nom.

<burp>
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
fordlltwm
Padawan Learner

Post by fordlltwm »

Pollock is often a cod replacement in lower end Fish and Chip shops. If a shop says: Fish, Haddock, Plaice, likely the generic "Fish" is pollock rather than Cod, most customers can't / don't tell the difference. at least that was my experience when I worked in F&C shop a while back.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

I'm a haddock man, myself. The flavor's similar to cod, but I like the texture better.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Ghetto Edit: Fun Fact: What the US Army calls UO (for "Urban Operations") is called FISH & CHIPS in the UK (for "Fighting in Someone's House and Causing Havok in People's Streets"). I've always loved that.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker