OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Turkish company creates transformer

Post by mr friendly guy »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/nati ... /91164330/
Ladies and gentlemen, the future, is now.

More than 20 years after Transformers landed onto your childhood TV screens, the robots in disguise may now dwell among us.

A Turkish company called Letvision has released a series of videos depicting BMW coupe that unfolds into a giant, moving robot, Yahoo Tech reported. Letvision claims the prototype, reportedly designed over eight months by a team of 16 engineers and technicians, moves by remote control.

The prototype is called “Letrons.”

In the video, a remote operator apparently drives the car through a lot before it slowly transforms into a humanoid robot with a turning head, moving fingers and a dramatic fog effect.

The company said a walking functionality wasn’t programmed into this version of Letrons, Yahoo reported.

While this robot in disguise doesn’t leap and fight like the CGI ones in Michael Bay movies, the footage is fascinating nonetheless.

According to Gizmodo, Letvision plans to sell a complete line of the giant toy robots, which will all transform from BMW models.

As with anything seen online, Gizmodo’s Andrew Liszewski questioned whether the footage was real, but noted that the robot’s jerky and imperfect motions, paired with footage of it from multiple angles, appeared authentic.

There’s “certainly a billionaire or two out there who’d be happy to buy one of these for their kids,” he said.
Video in the link.

Its pretty cool, but I wonder how they does it actually make money for said company.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Turkish company creates transformer

Post by Simon_Jester »

By selling it for a LOT of money to people who are willing to pay a LOT of money for a car that unfolds into a robot.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

The prime targets will be the Instagram trust fund crowd.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Deceptions, mobilize.

I think one could even think of a productive purpose for a transformer. Say, it could move as a car and then work as an industrial exoskeleton in a quarry.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

K. A. Pital wrote:Deceptions, mobilize.

I think one could even think of a productive purpose for a transformer. Say, it could move as a car and then work as an industrial exoskeleton in a quarry.
I think the end product would be as expensive, if not more so, than two purpose built machines, and less effective at both jobs than either.

The only way I can see it making sense is if you had some ridiculously expensive core component that both machines needed and couldn't easily be transferred between them... like... energon cubes?
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

The company said a walking functionality wasn’t programmed into this version of Letrons, Yahoo reported.
Something tells me when "one shall stand, one shall fall" enters the field, this thing is going to lean toward the latter.