Aldi to the Rescue (pre-mix grain side dishes)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Aldi to the Rescue (pre-mix grain side dishes)

Post by Broomstick »

In another thread (venting, to be exact) I bitched about a convenience grain packet. Here's a quote:
Broomstick wrote:Through the Poor Peoples' Exchange Network (i.e. "bartering") I recently acquired a sample of Hodgson's Mills gluten-free SORGHUM quinoa and brown rice. Now, despite what the advertising spiel says, this is NOT "simply and beautifully seasoned". The level of rosemary in this stuff is overwhelming. Seriously, just eat a mouthful of rosemary. Also, the original cooking instructions leave you with something rather porridge-like, I prefer it a bit "drier" so it's more like a pilaf. Except this is a pilaf that tastes like a mouth of rosemary leaves. Rosemary is OK, but I don't like it enough to eat it as a side dish.

A damn shame, really, because sorghum/quinoa/brown rice is not a bad grain combo. Seriously, if you're going to feature grains like that at least let people to taste the damn things and experience some texture. In other words, I am not a fan.

Might give it to the parrots. They seemed to like it. But then you're talking about a critters that eat hot peppers like they're candy. Parrots like really strong flavors (usually).

Also, not happy there are no microwaving instructions on this. Hey, it's the 21st Century. Fortunately, I know how to cook raw grains in the microwave and convert recipes. Also, there's always the internet
As a quick addendum - the parrots weren't that fond of it, either.

Now, my most recent trip to Aldi I found Aldi's "organic" household Simply Nature's Quinoa & Brown Rice packet. Ingredients are the same grains - brown rice and red quinoa - seasoned with garlic, olive oil, and sea salt. Microwave instructions prominent on the packet and MUCH quicker to cook (it is a convenience food) and half the price (I actually got it on special for a $1). And it TASTES GOOD! Granted, this morning I am now competing with three hungry and ravenous dinosaurs birds for my share, but it's quite yummy.

I guess the point here is that you don't have to spend lots of money to get actual food with minimal crap added that tastes good, and even fits into quick/convenience cooking. In fact, the cheaper option might well be superior.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: Aldi to the Rescue (pre-mix grain side dishes)

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

There's an Aldi's nearby. I might just try that out. Thanks, Broomstick.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Having my second one for dinner tonight, along with some chicken and mushrooms. Definitely I want to buy more of these.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I do most of my grocery shopping at Aldi these days. Unless there's something on sale at Publix or Winn-Dixie. I haven't been to Wal-Mart in months.

So it's cool to see someone else benefiting from the awesome that is Aldi. :)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED