Cork in the whiskey.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Cork in the whiskey.

Post by Soontir C'boath »

So in a rush to try to get the broken cork out, it instead was pushed in and now it's a floater. It's a bottle Wild Turkey so I'm not too annoyed if it was something more expensive, but aside from avoiding accidentally swallowing pieces of cork, how soon should I just finish the bottle?
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: Cork in the whiskey.

Post by General Zod »

It's pretty much ruined.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I guess you could try straining the whiskey if you feel like it's worth the effort.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Soontir C'boath
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Eh, I proceeded to clumsily decant it and remove the cork, but along the way it definitely lost its taste for sure. Not drying the glasses I put them in probably was not a good idea. Though to be fair, it didn't seem to taste how I remember from before anyway before this happened. Oh well I'll just buy another bottle next time. Thinking about trying scotch. Even then this bottle can still get me drunk if need be.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Soontir C'boath wrote:Eh, I proceeded to clumsily decant it and remove the cork, but along the way it definitely lost its taste for sure. Not drying the glasses I put them in probably was not a good idea. Though to be fair, it didn't seem to taste how I remember from before anyway before this happened. Oh well I'll just buy another bottle next time. Thinking about trying scotch. Even then this bottle can still get me drunk if need be.
Don't buy shit with corks in it next time.
Soontir C'boath

Haha well that's a given. I only bought Wild Turkey because I had it at a bar and it seem ok. Didn't know they cork the damn thing

Even then. I may just get those pour caps they use so I don't have finagle with that shit.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

You should try Larceny - similar price point, cooler name, massively better bourbon. Plus, no corks.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Import something decent from Scotland, flog to local bars for triple the price...profit! or bankruptcy. Probably.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

Esquire wrote:You should try Larceny
That's illegal!

I have no further advice, except do not ever drink Jim Beam Devil's Cut.
I was gifted a bottle once and drank some against my better judgement.
It's probably what pine tar dissolved in paint thinner tastes like.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Whistlepig Rye is fantastic if you can stomach the $75 a bottle asking price.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I'm an Islands scotch man, myself. To quote Jerry Seinfeld: "The peat, ahhhh the peat."
Soontir C'boath

muse wrote:
Esquire wrote:You should try Larceny
That's illegal!

I have no further advice, except do not ever drink Jim Beam Devil's Cut.
I was gifted a bottle once and drank some against my better judgement.
It's probably what pine tar dissolved in paint thinner tastes like.
I tried drinking Jim Beam before and it was like drinking distilled water.

I'll try the other suggestions when I run out of this bottle as it still seems to be ok. Maybe my memory is fuzzy but there is a certain taste to it that is kind of weird so I can only assume it's from the cork but it still can make me drunk so I'm not going to pour it down the drain.

If anything I wanted to try a scotch. Judy didn't know what to get before.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Another suggestion, if you can get it, is Lagavulin's 16-year-old Islay Scotch. It's a tad more expensive than Wild Turkey, but hey, if it's good enough for Nick Offerman, it's good enough for me.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

I hear Louis XIV is also a good alternative to Wild Turkey
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Executor32 wrote:Another suggestion, if you can get it, is Lagavulin's 16-year-old Islay Scotch. It's a tad more expensive than Wild Turkey, but hey, if it's good enough for Nick Offerman, it's good enough for me.
Fair warning though, Islay malts are renowned as absolute peat monsters (Laphroaig, Lagavulin, and Ardbeg are all great), they have claws and will hang on on the way down. If you want intense flavour in your whisky then they'll do you right.

Other than that, Highland Park, Jura, Oban, and The Macallan are worth trying. (Macallan is expensive though, defintely a special occasions whisky)
Soontir C'boath

Vendetta wrote:
Executor32 wrote:Another suggestion, if you can get it, is Lagavulin's 16-year-old Islay Scotch. It's a tad more expensive than Wild Turkey, but hey, if it's good enough for Nick Offerman, it's good enough for me.
Fair warning though, Islay malts are renowned as absolute peat monsters (Laphroaig, Lagavulin, and Ardbeg are all great), they have claws and will hang on on the way down. If you want intense flavour in your whisky then they'll do you right.

Other than that, Highland Park, Jura, Oban, and The Macallan are worth trying. (Macallan is expensive though, defintely a special occasions whisky)
Well sounds like I'm sold.

Not looking to get a collection going, but I'll probably buy a different bottle a month at this point.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Soontir C'boath wrote:So in a rush to try to get the broken cork out, it instead was pushed in and now it's a floater. It's a bottle Wild Turkey so I'm not too annoyed if it was something more expensive, but aside from avoiding accidentally swallowing pieces of cork, how soon should I just finish the bottle?
Probably too late, but the way to clear cork out of booze is pouring it through a coffee filter. I've done this a couple times to get access to some good brandy my grandparents stored way too long, leading to the corks partly falling apart.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Soontir C'boath

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Soontir C'boath wrote:So in a rush to try to get the broken cork out, it instead was pushed in and now it's a floater. It's a bottle Wild Turkey so I'm not too annoyed if it was something more expensive, but aside from avoiding accidentally swallowing pieces of cork, how soon should I just finish the bottle?
Probably too late, but the way to clear cork out of booze is pouring it through a coffee filter. I've done this a couple times to get access to some good brandy my grandparents stored way too long, leading to the corks partly falling apart.
I'll have to try that. As far as I am concerned this bottle is a write-off so I won't mind experimenting with it.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

I'll second the coffee filter thing, regarding the cork bits. Works with wine, too. I'm mostly a bourbon man, myself, though I do get a wild hair for some Laphroaig on special occasions. That was my British ex's poison.

On the subject of Wild Turkey, I have to wonder about the guy who was sitting on his porch in Kentucky one day drinking the 80-proof version out of a jelly jar, who thought to himself, "Hoooo-eee, this Wild Turkey 80 is some mighty fine stuff, but wouldn't it be better if we did 101?" I will probably never know your name, sir, but if we ever meet I will shake your hand, and maybe throw in a friendly head-butt depending on how much Wild Turkey 101 I've had.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

General Zod wrote:Whistlepig Rye is fantastic if you can stomach the $75 a bottle asking price.
Rye is a product of Great Depression desperation, and definitely an acquired taste that I haven't acquired.

If you want to throw down some serious coin on an amazing bourbon, I recommend Pappy Van Winkle.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Pappy is good, but nowhere near as good as it should be for its price. You can get equally-tasty things for literally a full order of magnitude less.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Esquire wrote:Pappy is good, but nowhere near as good as it should be for its price. You can get equally-tasty things for literally a full order of magnitude less.
Maybe it's just the rarity. It feels like a holiday every time I get my hands on one (and I've never paid for it anyway, due to the nature of my business, so that's a factor).

My sense of taste is straight up my ass anyway. I can't tell the difference between $10 wine and $100 wine. It was my eyes and ears that were good.

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Raw Shark wrote:
Esquire wrote:Pappy is good, but nowhere near as good as it should be for its price. You can get equally-tasty things for literally a full order of magnitude less.
Maybe it's just the rarity. It feels like a holiday every time I get my hands on one (and I've never paid for it anyway, due to the nature of my business, so that's a factor).

My sense of taste is straight up my ass anyway. I can't tell the difference between $10 wine and $100 wine. It was my eyes and ears that were good.
Most people actually can't tell the difference either.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

That's because there isn't one. In proper empirical tests, many people can't even tell the difference between res and white; wine was never supposed to be a fancy beverage. The French essentially made up all the wine lore as a way to scam rich Americans in the late 1800s.
Soontir C'boath

On a recommendation from a friend and on a whim, I bought a bottle of Glenfidditch 12 Year and it is certainly smooth as he said in the mouth with a good burn in the gut.

I will certainly eye an Islay Scotch to buy next month for something with more impact for sure though.