I could use some suggestions

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

I could use some suggestions

Post by SolarpunkFan »

Suggestions for... what? You might ask. Well, I'm not quite sure myself.

I'm sure at least some of you know that this election year has made me quite anxious and in some cases even depressed (I've certainly made no secret of these feelings).

I guess I need suggestions on stressing out less about this stuff, or even tuning it out better. If anyone knows some methods I'd be happier. Maybe.
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: I could use some suggestions

Post by General Zod »

Take up drinking.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

I don't think that's terribly good advice, Zod...

By the sounds of things, you may benefit from seeking counseling from a professional. About the extent of my advice aside from that is to learn breathing exercises. Ceasing to give a shit requires years of practice, and isn't necessarily healthy. Learning what is and is not worth sweating, though, is pretty healthy.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:I don't think that's terribly good advice, Zod...
Are you kidding? It's great advice. Alternatively, take up smoking the devil's lettuce, mary-juana.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Turn off your TV and internet and just don't give a fuck. Seriously, the US government system is designed to deadlock itself so that no one can get shit done, so whatever happens in November it's pretty much business as usual. I honestly don't know why people are shitting their pants about this election, it's not like either candidate has the power to fuck shit up hardcore without the support of Congress, and they ain't got it.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

aerius wrote:Turn off your TV and internet and just don't give a fuck. Seriously, the US government system is designed to deadlock itself so that no one can get shit done, so whatever happens in November it's pretty much business as usual. I honestly don't know why people are shitting their pants about this election, it's not like either candidate has the power to fuck shit up hardcore without the support of Congress, and they ain't got it.
Trump's either going to have a complete meltdown before the general election, or lose when it happens. Hillary's going to be coronated Universal Champion after she gives Melania an RKO through the podium during her acceptance speech, and the status quo will march along uninterrupted.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I've found learning meditation helps if I'm really stressed. Also, distractions do help, such as TV, movies, video games, etc.

If you want to make the world better, volunteer. Know that you're making a difference, if even a small one, in the world.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Another vote for meditation.
Colouring in or painting stuff also helps me. As does balancing rpg tables, but thats pretty niche.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Leave wherever you are if you can and go on a grand journey to see the world.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Well, you can try to find something positive out of whomever wins the election.

Hillary, probably the most competent and most likely to act like an adult as president, despite the various things that should have disqualified her already. At least she'll keep with most of the progressive civil rights gains we've had the last 8 years. Maybe she'll even get marijuana of of schedule 1, fix Obama's healthcare fix, and if we're lucky she'll just leave guns alone.

Trump, complete douchebag. He's been making it work (sort of) as a business model so it could be interesting/entertaining to watch him govern that way. At least on the international stage. He might be more disconcerting as president if he lets Pence do all the governing like the rumor of what he offered Kasich. So for Trump I'd say look forward to the circus if he wins. It should be entertaining. Possibly scary but highly likely very entertaining, kind of like watching FAIL videos, especially those of guys (unintentionally) taking shots to the nuts. Those guys who do it on purpose are people like us who vote TRUMP!. :D

Johnson. Good luck with him living down that Appello bs. He had a decent response after the fact and owned his mistake. Probably not something the two main candidates would do. Anyway, if he wins it will only be because the election went to the House of Representatives and he won at least one state. The shitstorm from that aftermath should be really interesting. Plus, having a president with absolutely no mandate whatsoever, or beholden to either of the two main parties should be interesting. Likely to be good for civil liberties, weed legalization, and f'd up when it comes to economics, but could still be interesting for 4 years. Also expect a lot of vetoes. The news coverage of the vetoes could be fun especially if he's goes both ways with them. It'll be awesome if both the left and right are bitching about vetoes, and "not their president", the same news cycle.

Stein. To me, kind of more tree huggery Bernie Sanders. So some of her stuff I really like and some of it is WTF?! She'd only get in pretty much the same way Johnson could get it but even more unlikely. Soooo, the amount of constant bitching should be entertaining, especially when it's bitching that turns into, "well, I guess that's actually a good idea". Which probably won't be often but when it does happen it'll be cool.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

I will echo the suggestion to volunteer. It keeps you out of the house, it is an activity and/or distraction that keeps your mind off what's bothering you, and makes you interact with other people whether you want to or not, but sounds like you should anyway.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Yeah, I'm going to +1 just about everything in this thread. We've got another 4 years of obstructionist Congress-being-useless politics where absolutely nothing happens in front of us on the horizon. I'm probably going to hold my nose and throw Clinton a vote just because she's the less-bigger asshole, or maybe Stein just to demonstrate that a vote against Cynical Hils isn't sexist if I smoke a fat one and/or get a wild hair to be a prick that day, but ultimately I don't think it's going to matter. Status quo until 2020, ahoy. You had a chance to change things and you shit the bed, America.

The president barely matters, anyway. Vote in your local elections, for local congresscreatures and statutes. That may not be as sexy, but it will affect your life more than the POTUS ever will.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

K. A. Pital wrote:Leave wherever you are if you can and go on a grand journey to see the world.
That's great advice. This year I took 6 months off to travel. However its expensive stuff, although its much cheaper if you stay in hostels etc. Also since the writer of the OP is American, its most probably cheaper for them to go travelling to most tourist spots in Europe and Asia it is for myself down in Australia to do so.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Kinyo
Youngling

Post by Kinyo »

Target archery was, though expensive, good for me.

It's a sport that keeps me fitter than sitting on my backside all day and meeting new people.

When I get on the shooting line there isn't anything else in the world but me and my 1,2,3 and the nice feeling when getting golds makes me want to do it more.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Kinyo wrote:Target archery was, though expensive, good for me.
It's not that expensive, if you do it in your back yard. I'm actually pretty good at it, and it barely ever cost anything. I am the proud owner of an archery merit badge, which includes more than a little fletching.

I put one in a kid one time, accidentally, when I was teaching it at Boy Scout Camp. I warned him three times to let go of the smaller kid's throat, and then tried to whiz one past his ear (which I admit was a little rash, but I was an adolescent), but I got him right in the shoulder. I did first aid and we agreed to not talk about it.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker