Why does using a electric heater make me feel fatigued/exhausted?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Archinist
Padawan Learner

Why does using a electric heater make me feel fatigued/exhausted?

Post by Archinist »

So why does that happen? It is an electric heater, so it cannot possibly be making toxic fumes. I use it in a very small room, windows closed and door closed, and if it's left on for extended periods it seems to cause fatigue for some reason. If I turn it off, it usually goes away after about 10-20 minutes. Thanks.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Why does using a electric heater make me feel fatigued/exhausted?

Post by LadyTevar »

Go See A DOCTOR
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Um, I don't think there's anything unusual or unhealthy about getting sleepy when you're warm. That's ... like the entire reason blankets are a thing.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Didn't read the whole OP thoroughly before my last post. Mea culpa.

Based more on the spacebattles thread than this one (he inexplicably gives more details in the other one), it sounds to me like it's either completely a placebo effect or that he is extremely dehydrated and running a heater in a poorly ventilated room, giving him mild heat exhaustion. Either way, there's no fucking reason for him to be using that heater; he explicitly says other heaters don't cause this problem, so even if it is a placebo effect just stop using the god-damned heater.

EDIT:

Just saw this quote of his in the SB thread:
I already have a jacket, but that's useless if everything is cold
I mean, what? It's 10 degrees C outside, not god-damned Neptune. A coat is sufficient while you replace this heater with one that doesn't bother you. Don't be such a baby. I don't even turn the general heating on in my apartment for 10 degrees C, nevermind space heaters or the like.
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:Didn't read the whole OP thoroughly before my last post. Mea culpa.

Based more on the spacebattles thread than this one (he inexplicably gives more details in the other one), it sounds to me like it's either completely a placebo effect or that he is extremely dehydrated and running a heater in a poorly ventilated room, giving him mild heat exhaustion. Either way, there's no fucking reason for him to be using that heater; he explicitly says other heaters don't cause this problem, so even if it is a placebo effect just stop using the god-damned heater.

EDIT:

Just saw this quote of his in the SB thread:
I already have a jacket, but that's useless if everything is cold
I mean, what? It's 10 degrees C outside, not god-damned Neptune. A coat is sufficient while you replace this heater with one that doesn't bother you. Don't be such a baby. I don't even turn the general heating on in my apartment for 10 degrees C, nevermind space heaters or the like.
Jackets only insulate you, not heat you. If you are already cold, the jacket will only make you colder, since it is locking all the cold air in and actually cooling it down since the jacket itself is cold.

There are no other heaters in the house, you see. That is the only one, the older heater that I used to use before has disappeared and cannot be found at all, so I would assume it not longer exists or is completely soaked with moisture with shed.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Archinist wrote:Jackets only insulate you, not heat you. If you are already cold, the jacket will only make you colder, since it is locking all the cold air in and actually cooling it down since the jacket itself is cold.
Presumably you are alive. Presumably you are also human and therefore a warm-blooded mammal that continually generates bodyheat. Put the jacket on and your bodyheat will warm up the jacket in a few minutes. As noted, jackets are insulated and will hold that heat in, thereby warming you. If you want to sleep, use a blanket.

I have a parrot that has figured out how this works and will crawl under a blanket of his own volition when he is cold. Why haven't you figured this out?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Broomstick wrote:
Archinist wrote:Jackets only insulate you, not heat you. If you are already cold, the jacket will only make you colder, since it is locking all the cold air in and actually cooling it down since the jacket itself is cold.
Presumably you are alive. Presumably you are also human and therefore a warm-blooded mammal that continually generates bodyheat. Put the jacket on and your bodyheat will warm up the jacket in a few minutes. As noted, jackets are insulated and will hold that heat in, thereby warming you. If you want to sleep, use a blanket.

I have a parrot that has figured out how this works and will crawl under a blanket of his own volition when he is cold. Why haven't you figured this out?
No. The jacket has a higher cold count than the body provide, then you will slowly become colder and colder. The jacket probably has a slightly lower cold base than the natural warming, so that my boy will slowly, slowly increase in temperature, but kit will still be very uncomfortable foe the meantime.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Perhaps if you warm the jacket up a bit then.even by your logic that will work.

It's alarming that your approach to real life problems is pretty much the same as your approach to fantasy scenarios.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Archinist wrote:No. The jacket has a higher cold count than the body provide, then you will slowly become colder and colder. The jacket probably has a slightly lower cold base than the natural warming, so that my boy will slowly, slowly increase in temperature, but kit will still be very uncomfortable foe the meantime.
Excuse me? Do we live on the same planet?

Why the fuck do you think people in cold climates invented coats and long underwear?

Put the damn jacket on, then do some jumping jacks or run in place to generate a little extra heat. Holy fuck, this is stupid. Not to mention your post is barely coherent. WTF is wrong with you, that you perceive 10 C as being "cold"? (at that temp I'm still running around in t-shirts, maybe a flannel shirt if I'm sitting in one place for awhile with no heating required).

If you're that sensitive to cool temperatures wear more clothing. Seriously.

WTF is this bullshit - if you put on a jacket you get warmer. Again, assuming you're alive and a warm-blooded animal. haven't met too many people on the internet who don't fall into that category. Actually, none.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

10 Celsius is 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Not t-shirt weather for most, I'd think, though certainly not beyond the "light jacket/sweater" range.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Well, yeah, I've probably got a bit higher cold tolerance than most, but like you said, it's light jacket territory. And the notion that putting on a jacket is going to make you colder is bullshit. Unless you store your clothes in your freezer.

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

I am really wondering if he is just a troll, given some of his other posts. Though this did at least make me laugh, which was nice.
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

Broomstick wrote:Well, yeah, I've probably got a bit higher cold tolerance than most, but like you said, it's light jacket territory. And the notion that putting on a jacket is going to make you colder is bullshit. Unless you store your clothes in your freezer.
Wait, doesn't everyone do that? I love to put coats and jackets in the freezer. It's the best thing ever for cooling yourself down.

Seriously though, as everyone has stated, if a person is getting colder from wearing a jacket, there's something seriously wrong there.
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
My Ko-Fi Page - Currently Seeking Aid with moving home
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

yeah, my post copied itself. Sorry.
Last edited by Bernkastel on 2016-08-13 07:40am, edited 1 time in total.
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

redacted
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Broomstick wrote:I have a parrot that has figured out how this works and will crawl under a blanket of his own volition when he is cold. Why haven't you figured this out?
It's official - Broomstick's parrot is smarter than Archinist.
Terralthra wrote:10 Celsius is 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Not t-shirt weather for most, I'd think, though certainly not beyond the "light jacket/sweater" range.
Depends on the humidity. 50F probably has way more bite on an average day in San Francisco than here in Denver.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

Terralthra wrote:10 Celsius is 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Not t-shirt weather for most, I'd think, though certainly not beyond the "light jacket/sweater" range.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Broomstick wrote:
Archinist wrote:No. The jacket has a higher cold count than the body provide, then you will slowly become colder and colder. The jacket probably has a slightly lower cold base than the natural warming, so that my boy will slowly, slowly increase in temperature, but kit will still be very uncomfortable foe the meantime.
I can't do running around the house, there is not enough space, plus it would look ridiculous. I was typing on a mobile when I was typing that, so it would be less coherent of course.

Didn't infants used to die quite a lot when their parents heavily insulated them in jackets and blankets or something? There are a few infant guide books which recommend against putting lots of blankets on them because it might insulate the cold and kill them.

Plus wearing lots of clothing is uncomfortable since it's more weight and bulky on you, rather than just a shirt and a heater.
AniThyng wrote:Perhaps if you warm the jacket up a bit then.even by your logic that will work.

It's alarming that your approach to real life problems is pretty much the same as your approach to fantasy scenarios.
No, the jacket will just catch fire or melt down.

A better idea would be to put the jacket on and the heater, and wait maybe one hour or so and turn the heater off. But then the jacket feels a bit odd and misplaced as it cools down and your shirt and body is still very warm.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Archinist wrote: I can't do running around the house, there is not enough space, plus it would look ridiculous.
Considering some of the things you have said in this thread, and others (both here and on SB), I very much doubt that you care about looking (or sounding) ridiculous. Jumping jacks do not require space. Pushups do not require space. Jogging in place does not require space.
Archinist wrote: Didn't infants used to die quite a lot when their parents heavily insulated them in jackets and blankets or something? There are a few infant guide books which recommend against putting lots of blankets on them because it might insulate the cold and kill them.
Wait, so now you are admitting that blankets "insulate the cold"? Before you were saying they made you colder somehow. At least keep your incoherent ramblings internally consistent.
Archinist wrote: Plus wearing lots of clothing is uncomfortable since it's more weight and bulky on you, rather than just a shirt and a heater.
First of all, a light jacket or a flannel isn't bulky or uncomfortable, and more then sufficient for 10 degrees C. Secondly, you started this thread because your heater is supposedly making you physically uncomfortable. Is wearing a long-sleeved shirt or a sweater really so much more uncomfortable than the fatigue, exhaustion, dizziness, and confusion this magical heater is making you feel?
Archinist wrote: No, the jacket will just catch fire or melt down.
If that were true, why do my clothes not catch on fire and melt down every time I use the dryer in my apartment? Do you not realize that's how dryers work, by heating clothes? Hell, it's a pretty common trick in northern climates to throw a dry shirt in the dryer for a couple of minutes to get it nice and toasty before putting it on to go out in the cold.
Archinist wrote: A better idea would be to put the jacket on and the heater, and wait maybe one hour or so and turn the heater off. But then the jacket feels a bit odd and misplaced as it cools down and your shirt and body is still very warm.
So why would this not cause the jacket to catch fire and melt down like you said in the previous response?
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Maybe the reason it happens is because the op is a pussy.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

The heater is making the air drier. You should drink more moisture, maybe lower the intensity of the heater (although why are you using it in 10C?). Also, consider opening a window to allow fresh air in.

Dude, what are your jackets made out of, plastic? Since when do they melt?

Oh, and you fail at basic thermodynamics. Yes, putting on a jacket will sap some warmth from you as you warm it up to your body temperature. But once you done that, unless your jacket is made of out metal that radiates your bodyheat away, it will prevent you losing it in the first place.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I think it's not so much thermodynamics as what he says makes sense under one false assumption, that assumption being that human body is unable produce its own heat. So what he fails at is not basic thermodynamics but basic biology (aka that warmblooded animals like humans produce their own heat)
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I think he fails at both. And while I personally consider 10°C to be pretty damned cold (anything below 23 and I'm thinking about long sleeves indoors) it's not something clothing can't cope with. Nevermind jacket (a lot of which DO tend to be unsuitable for wearing indoors due to bulk, stiffness or a combination thereof), a sweater should do.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Since he thinks an insulated jacket will trap the cold near his body...

Maybe he should have a fan on in his room so he can blow the cold air away from his body and feel warmer.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov