recomend me some HBO series.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

recomend me some HBO series.

Post by Lord Revan »

Now I got HBO Nordic avaible for me I'm asking for recomendations on series to watch before the next season of Game of Thrones starts to air.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: recomend me some HBO series.

Post by Elheru Aran »

Was Sons of Anarchy a HBO series? Could try that. Heard it was good.

Vinyl was apparently popular. Especially if you like big-ass 70s pubes. Only one season though.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Elheru Aran wrote:Was Sons of Anarchy a HBO series? Could try that. Heard it was good.

Vinyl was apparently popular. Especially if you like big-ass 70s pubes. Only one season though.
Dunno about Son of Anarchy though it still might be avaible as there's some non-HBO series that distributed thru them here. As for Vinyl I generally consider the story more important then what kind of pubes then characters have.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

You may have bought HBO for Game of Thrones, but you will keep it for Curb Your Enthusiasm.

You can thank me later.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

"The Wire" and "Rome" are two pretty great series you should check out.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

I will second, "The Wire," and raise you some, "Six Feet Under," which is by far my favorite thing that HBO has ever done. "Deadwood," was also brilliant for two years, but the third season kind of meandered.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Will second "Rome" especially if you're looking for something within the same ballpark as Game of Thrones. Of course classics like "Band of Brothers" and "Generation Kill" but being miniseries they won't last long. I've also found "Silicon Valley" to be a less offensive version of Big Bang Theory, so take that how you will.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I can second Silicon Valley, in that it does the "nerd comedy" thing far better than Big Bang Theory and without the autistic stereotype at the centre of it all.

Also, if you like The Thick of It, I can recommend Veep. The first season is pretty bleh, but after that it keeps improving each season as the cast gets bigger and the chemistry improves.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Rome. That said, it's really hard to find a bad HBO series. Even The Sorpranos just got a bit boring in later seasons.

Also, OZ. But be prepared for loads of high impact violence, rape, and dudes showing off what they're packing. You will also never see JK Simmons the same way again. For me, that was my introduction to him.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I can't say enough good things about Carnivale.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Elheru Aran wrote:Was Sons of Anarchy a HBO series? Could try that. Heard it was good.
FX, not HBO.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

The Sopranos, the Wire, Oz, Deadwood, Game of Thrones, and Veep are my recommendations.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Six feet under was a boring disjointed mess later on, don't waste your time on it.

JLTucker wrote:The Sopranos, the Wire, Oz, Deadwood, Game of Thrones, and Veep
Seconded, though don't go into the sopranos with the hype of it being the best thing ever. It clearly is not. You will enjoy it much more if you accept it for what it is, a competently written drama that has some decent episodes.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

The Sopranos is notable because it was one of the first big HBO drama series, and so it is remembered fondly relative to its contemporaries on things like broadcast television, even if it isn't outright great compared to more recent examples. TV series actually have improved notably in recent years, and we are seeing the fruits of the trend that The Sopranos helped start.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I wonder how much of that is due to cable/streaming having less strict censorship so they can tell more stories without having to write around the censors as much.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Lord Revan wrote:I wonder how much of that is due to cable/streaming having less strict censorship so they can tell more stories without having to write around the censors as much.
Ish. The biggest differences are that cable/streaming can show more explicit violence, T&A, and profanity. Network television can stretch their limits quite a bit as far as those are concerned, profanity is probably the main thing they try to restrict.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Last Week Tonight for sure.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Dalton wrote:Last Week Tonight for sure.
With the caveat that that's more of a news/political-social commentary series rather than fiction, if that might be an issue. It does tend to be American-centric, but there have been episodes about international issues as well.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Dalton wrote:Last Week Tonight for sure.
With the caveat that that's more of a news/political-social commentary series rather than fiction, if that might be an issue. It does tend to be American-centric, but there have been episodes about international issues as well.
And that Oliver often goes to Fox News levels of hyperbole and bullshit but with a left wing slant. I can't remember off the top of my head, but there's been 3 or 4 subjects that I'm familiar where there actually are multiple things to consider and he presented a one sided picture. Not anywhere near as good as TDS was with Stewart.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

As for good, The Newsroom was pretty good for the first two seasons. Not West Wing level, but good.