You get to survive in a snowy forest with a building and supplies.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: You get to survive in a snowy forest with a building and supplies.

Post by General Zod »

Zixinus wrote:
General Zod wrote:I'd be more worried about the little guys like velociraptor packs.
I wouldn't. Small animals usually will try to avoid a much taller one and Velociraptors are about knee-high tall. Unless you are sick or injured or they are desperately hungry, they'd probably won't see you as prey and could be scared off.
If they're on their own, sure. I'm talking about packs.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

It sounds less like I 'get' to survive and more like I HAVE to. It sounds hellish lonely.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

General Zod wrote:
Zixinus wrote:
General Zod wrote:I'd be more worried about the little guys like velociraptor packs.
I wouldn't. Small animals usually will try to avoid a much taller one and Velociraptors are about knee-high tall. Unless you are sick or injured or they are desperately hungry, they'd probably won't see you as prey and could be scared off.
If they're on their own, sure. I'm talking about packs.
I doubt it, real predators are not hyper-aggressive and we are talking about something that's the size of a wild cat. Even modern wolves in packs are wimps, they will sooner run away than confront humans. I don't know the ecology of what velociraptors would have, but they look like middle-level predators, like cats or some dog species. The thing about being a middle-level predator is that while you kill, you have to be careful because you are also killed by larger predators. Which a human, who is an unknown creature to boot, is going to look like.

Remember that hippos kill far more people in Africa than lions and both are far outnumbered by the tiny mosquito. Aggressiveness is not always tied to diet.

No, what I'd be worried is bugs and snakes or whatever equivalent of animals you have that are small, hard to spot and ready to instantly defend their territory.

Of course, being extinct animals, I could easily be wrong whether that is true or not.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Raw Shark wrote: I get bored with humans who aren't smart enough, let alone dogs and reptiles.

PS- This scenario is retarded and you probably need therapy.
Not to mention that you wouldn't be able to tell awesome hookup stories anymore. At least I hope not.

Even the most shut in person on modern Earth would lose it. Inmates in prison that are held in solitary confinement show strong psychological trauma over time. Most people would likely kill themselves even if they could survive the outside threats alone. Even Batman needs Alfred.

With a few people this could be potentially interesting if still nearly impossible, but with a single person you would be outright begging for an early death.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Adam Reynolds wrote:Not to mention that you wouldn't be able to tell awesome hookup stories anymore. At least I hope not.
On the one hand, I agree in principle, but on the other... who else can say that they fucked a dinosaur? Do they even have vaginas, or would I be resurrecting an extinct species to bone a cloaca or something? I'm going to weigh this carefully when I sober up, but it might need to go on the extreme long-shot side of the bucket list.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

It would be probably be like fucking a chicken or an emu or ostrich. I don't think they'll let you, probably not designed for it and you may be better off just sticking to the traditional method.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Zixinus wrote:It would be probably be like fucking a chicken or an emu or ostrich.
With you so far.
Zixinus wrote:I don't think they'll let you, probably not designed for it and you may be better off just sticking to the traditional method.
You underestimate me.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Google "cloaca".
Credo!
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Zixinus wrote:Google "cloaca".
Raw Shark wrote:You underestimate me.

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Then all I am left with is the wisdom of "just because you can does not mean that you should".
Credo!
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Zixinus wrote:Then all I am left with is the wisdom of "just because you can does not mean that you should".
I hope that they carve that on my tombstone.

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

This is rather further off topic, but it reminded me of something odd in Mass Effect. How is it that asari can have sex with salarians(who apparently have a cloaca). Who is penetrating who? And what does that mean for a male human who wants to hook up with an asari?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Adam Reynolds wrote:This is rather further off topic, but it reminded me of something odd in Mass Effect. How is it that asari can have sex with salarians(who apparently have a cloaca). Who is penetrating who? And what does that mean for a male human who wants to hook up with an asari?
There's no penetration or fluid exchange with Asari sex. They do it all by the nervous system merge thing. They're not taking DNA from the partner. Just randomising their own to produce variation.

Otherwise the lesbian couplings couldn't have children. Which they do.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Crazedwraith wrote: There's no penetration or fluid exchange with Asari sex. They do it all by the nervous system merge thing. They're not taking DNA from the partner. Just randomising their own to produce variation.

Otherwise the lesbian couplings couldn't have children. Which they do.
But they still seem to physically have sex that doesn't necessarily result in pregnancy, which begs the question of how. Perhaps they don't actually have physical sex with every species, which would make sense given the lower salarian sex drive.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

I'm going to step up and take most of the responsibility for grabbing the wheel and driving this thread right way the fuck off the rails. That said, I think it deserved it and I don't feel even a little bit bad.

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I'm going to step up and take most of the responsibility for grabbing the wheel and driving this thread right way the fuck off the rails.
What else should we expect from a cabbie? :)
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Raw Shark wrote:I'm going to step up and take most of the responsibility for grabbing the wheel and driving this thread right way the fuck off the rails. That said, I think it deserved it and I don't feel even a little bit bad.
RS, you are the Dimitri Sokolov (of Spacetrawler http://spacetrawler.com/2010/01/01/spacetrawler-4/) of SD.net.

I salute you! (in a totally non-erotic way, honest!)
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

So the options so far seem to be:

A) Dying do to the design of the shelter
B) Dying due to dangerous wildlife / elements
C) Dying due to accident
D) Suicide
E) Going insane due to isolation, then dying via suicide or accident
F) Blowing up dinosaurs with TNT for fun
G) Trying to tame Dinosaurs for fun
H) Trying to have sex with dinosaurs for fun
J) Spending the rest of your life trying to accomplish things that simply cannot be done by a single person

What a lovely scenario to be in. Anything I miss?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Tribble wrote:So the options so far seem to be:

C) Dying due to accident
D) Suicide
J) Spending the rest of your life trying to accomplish things that simply cannot be done by a single person

You have 1000 years plus robots which can automate things for you. Plus most of the time it is just digging things out with mining drills + automated mining drills that you built and then paving concrete over the dirt. It doesn't sound too difficult, the worst parts would be building and programming the automated mining drills and general AI.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

If this was a Minecraft mod or something (which is what you seem to have in mind), maybe. In real life, just no.
Credo!
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Tribble wrote:So the options so far seem to be:

C) Dying due to accident
D) Suicide

Nah, I think you've got it covered.
Archinist wrote:You have 1000 years plus robots which can automate things for you. Plus most of the time it is just digging things out with mining drills + automated mining drills that you built and then paving concrete over the dirt. It doesn't sound too difficult, the worst parts would be building and programming the automated mining drills and general AI.
Yeah, because anybody here even begins to have any idea how to do that besides maybe Starglider, who would only be kind of fucked instead of totally fucked. I'd probably be more successful convincing a velociraptor to give me a patiently gentle no-teeth blowjob.

Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

I've got no source to back this up at the moment, but it's my understanding that a study of fatal accidents among healthy adults shows that the mean survival time for an ageless person would be about 300 years, and that's (if I recall correctly) in a modern industrialized society with good medical care. Given that this scenario has a person working alone in heavy construction, I'd give you 50/50 odds that they won't make it past 100 years even IF you can prevent any mental issues.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

The only heavy construction they would do isn't any of the ridiculous super-projects, but making themselves other shelters and homes. Once they archive as comfort for themselves they can realistically and regularly maintain, they'd probably hold on that level until they die. With the tech level they can maintain. Kind of what regular people do.

At most, maybe some people will go to take exploring which may help with sanity a bit (new stimulation, new-ish environment, survival keeps them too busy to dwell on bad things) but is also proportionally much, much more dangerous.
Credo!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Archinist wrote:You have 1000 years plus robots which can automate things for you. Plus most of the time it is just digging things out with mining drills + automated mining drills that you built and then paving concrete over the dirt. It doesn't sound too difficult, the worst parts would be building and programming the automated mining drills and general AI.
Have you ever actually operated heavy machinery, designed machines, done heavy construction work, or any of these other things?

It is not smart to assume that things you have never done are easy.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Have you ever actually operated heavy machinery, designed machines, done heavy construction work, or any of these other things?

It is not smart to assume that things you have never done are easy.
I didn't say it was easy, I said that manually/physically digging out holes is far, far easier than actually programming a decent enough AI to automatically drill out holes for you from scratch AND design the automated drill itself from scratch.