Russian drivers

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Russian drivers

Post by Borgholio »

So I discovered dash-cam footage of various Russian car crashes on Youtube. It's like a train wreck. All this destruction, people likely getting hurt...and yet, I can't stop watching. If I ever visited Russia, I'd stay as far away from the roads as I possibly could.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: Russian drivers

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Well they also have long compilation videos of all the trolley crashes, and Russian airliners seem to be designed like warplanes, with warplane like loss rates. Russian main line railroads seem fairly safe except for maybe when this happens... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_zC7QK64Ks
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Keep in mind that there's a disproportionate number of people with dashcams in Russia, thanks to rampant police corruption that makes anything the US has look adorable. The simple fact that more people are filming will result in more video of crazy shit taking place.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:Keep in mind that there's a disproportionate number of people with dashcams in Russia, thanks to rampant police corruption that makes anything the US has look adorable. The simple fact that more people are filming will result in more video of crazy shit taking place.
Yeah, I suspect that if you started putting a lot of dashcams on cars in New York or Atlanta or any major metropolitan areas you might start seeing similar events on Youtube. Maybe not with quite as much frequency-- the Russians *are* a special breed of crazy-- but pretty often, likely enough.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

US has 12.7 deaths per 100,000 vehicles per year. Russia has 53.

Some of it is the proliferation of dash cams, but it is just a damn fact that Russia has a lot of dangerous drivers and a lot of extremely badly maintained roads and unreasonable intersections stemming from the legacy of communist and Imperial city planning having only ended 25 years ago.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Russian main line railroads seem fairly safe except for maybe when this happens... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_zC7QK64Ks
That's unburnt fuel catching fire as it comes into contact with a hot exhaust. Happens a lot with older diesels starting in low temperatures, like this British locomotive.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

So what's your telling me is you can't see the difference between thick white smoke, and heavy black smoke with blatant metal sparks and flames shooting up ten feet in the air? Kind of important. That's the engine turbochargers blowing up on startup.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Hmmm. On a second, more careful viewing I see your point.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Yeah.... and actually its not uncommon on locomotives, but two engines at once is special.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Sea Skimmer wrote:US has 12.7 deaths per 100,000 vehicles per year. Russia has 53.

Some of it is the proliferation of dash cams, but it is just a damn fact that Russia has a lot of dangerous drivers and a lot of extremely badly maintained roads and unreasonable intersections stemming from the legacy of communist and Imperial city planning having only ended 25 years ago.
Plus, they dont have 100 years of driving culture like the US does. Drivers education is common in our schools and being taught to drive by a parent has been elevated to a rite of passage. So the US just has... better drivers.

Plus we have regulations on how top-heavy large trucks can be etc etc etc that are at least notionally obeyed.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Well they also have long compilation videos of all the trolley crashes, and Russian airliners seem to be designed like warplanes, with warplane like loss rates. Russian main line railroads seem fairly safe except for maybe when this happens... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_zC7QK64Ks
That's still running cleaner than a VW.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:Keep in mind that there's a disproportionate number of people with dashcams in Russia, thanks to rampant police corruption that makes anything the US has look adorable.
I'd heard another factor is defence against massive insurance fraud, with frequent staged or "non-accidental" crashes. It was mentioned briefly during news coverage of the Chelyabinsk meteor a few years back — the huge variety of dashcam and CCTV movies released publicly allowed an almost immediate estimate of the meteor's size and orbit.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

SpottedKitty wrote:I'd heard another factor is defence against massive insurance fraud, with frequent staged or "non-accidental" crashes. It was mentioned briefly during news coverage of the Chelyabinsk meteor a few years back — the huge variety of dashcam and CCTV movies released publicly allowed an almost immediate estimate of the meteor's size and orbit.
In an attempt to avoid "me too"-ing, I would add that there are some fascinating "accident" videos available online: like the pedestrian who runs at and dives into the windshield of a car (with dashcam). Did more damage to the car, I think.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.