Burning sensation when touching metal taps?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Archinist
Padawan Learner

Burning sensation when touching metal taps?

Post by Archinist »

Hello. When I touch the metal shower taps in the shower when they're dry, them are perfect to touch, but when I touch them while wet, they feel very raw and 'sharp'. What causes this? It has never happened with any other shower taps before. Thanks.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Re: Burning sensation when touching metal taps?

Post by Jaepheth »

If your skin feels cold and hot simultaneously it can be interpreted as searing hot.

Could also be an electric current flowing into the taps; if your skin is dry enough to prevent a circuit from forming they'd feel normal when dry but tingly when wet.

That's all I can think of.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Jaepheth wrote:If your skin feels cold and hot simultaneously it can be interpreted as searing hot.

Could also be an electric current flowing into the taps; if your skin is dry enough to prevent a circuit from forming they'd feel normal when dry but tingly when wet.

That's all I can think of.
Alright. What is it called when the skin is hot and cold, if anything if you do know yourself?
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Archinist wrote:Alright. What is it called when the skin is hot and cold, if anything if you do know yourself?
I'd call it something you might want to see a doctor about, instead of consulting a bunch of people on the internet who seriously discuss things like Mr. Ed + Venom in the Fallout setting and Godzilla vs his own mass in chimpanzees.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Rather than a (probably) unnecessary medical visit, get a cheap current tester from your local hardware store and make sure your showerhead isn't electrified somehow. If yes, call a plumber or an electrician. Or both.

What I think Jaepeth was describing is that if your skin is cold - say, if you've just taken a shower and the water is evaporating off of you - and you touch something warm -say, a showerhead that recently had hot water flowing through it - your brain interprets the large temperature differential as HOLY CRAP THAT'S HOT, even if, objectively, it isn't.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

Oddiex on SufficientVelocity wrote:Umm. Hello. Does anyone know what the burning/raw sensation you get from metal shower taps is? It seems to only happen when they are wet, they are perfectly fine when dry. It is actually reasonably painful to touch the wet taps for even a few seconds, but it is perfectly fine if I touch them with an object. There are probably an amp;le amount of shockingly simple solutions, but I would still enjoy some decent answers grounded in reality for a little bit. Anyway, this is just a question I thought I'd zap in.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

If it does turn out to be a live wire, the phrasing of that post will be retroactively very funny.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

I'm talking about a museum thing I saw as a kid.

They had a double coil of copper pipe and warm water flowing through one, and cool water in the other so that every other pipe is warm or cool. The pipes are painted a red that looks hot. Touching the setup gives the temporary illusion of searing hot temperatures.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Could it be you're allergic or reacting to what ever cleaning agent you use? Using a wet hand causes it to affect your skin?
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Raw Shark wrote:
Archinist wrote:Alright. What is it called when the skin is hot and cold, if anything if you do know yourself?
I'd call it something you might want to see a doctor about, instead of consulting a bunch of people on the internet who seriously discuss things like Mr. Ed + Venom in the Fallout setting and Godzilla vs his own mass in chimpanzees.
Don't forget Luffy vs Mr Bean in possession of The Mask :lol:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Call an electrician and make sure your electrical system is grounded?
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

That definitely sounds like a grounding issue. Some old houses have ground tied into pipes. The reason it only happens when wet would be the same reason they use the jelly with a defibrillator.

Get a multimeter and test it.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Have you been tested for Chlamydia? Y'know, to be sure.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."