Winter Solstice Feast!

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Korto
Jedi Master

Winter Solstice Feast!

Post by Korto »

Winter solstice is nearly here, and I'm fixing up the annual feast, which is something I like to do and experiment with.
The menu this year:

Drinks
Mulled wine (made last year, worked OK. Added some more sugar and some cuman this year)
Warm pear and ginger smoothies (debut, and never made them before)

Nibblies
Rumballs
Snowballs (lemon-cake balls coated with white icing with mint essence-something I'm inventing to see how it'll work)
Garlic bread (using home-made soda bread. Again, debut, see how it goes)

Main
Chicken and red-wine casserole with herby dumplings, served on soda bread trenchers (never made trenchers before, but how hard can it be?)

Desert
Christmas pudding, with rum sauce (the pudding's been maturing since I made it just after last solstice--it has a silver coin in it and everything. Brandy is more traditionally used in the sauce, but I have rum so suck it)

I've gotten most of the ingredients together, and tomorrow it's time to start on what can be started early.
There are, however, at least two individuals who aren't going to be too happy about all this--the brown chickens have gotten pretty old and they haven't been laying for a while. A couple of hours ago, I pulled them from the coop and put them under a couple of milk crates for the morning. You see, have a second look at that menu...
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Re: Winter Solstice Feast!

Post by Esquire »

I was confused for a second there, then I looked at your location tag (Northern Hemisphere-dweller here). Sounds delicious, enjoy your feast!
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

One of the best things about the internet is that it keeps reminding me that there are millions of people living in the southern hemisphere with seasons half a year different than mine.

Happy feasting, sounds delicious.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Damn, that sounds scrumptious. Makes me want to visit Oz now more than ever.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Yeah, I just stuffed myself and that still sounds pretty impressive. Happy Solstice.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

The dire deed is done.
The desperate duo drawn, nay, directed!
Departing under durance to a dismal doom,
Down into the deep, dreamless, dark.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I take it that meant it went well?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Purple wrote:I take it that meant it went well?
Or he just really likes alliteration.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Purple wrote:I take it that meant it went well?
Or he just really likes alliteration.
Nobody gets in the mood to write stuff that poetic unless he had something nice happen.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

It means he killed the chickens.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Dalton wrote:It means he killed the chickens.
So, as I said, something nice.

The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Yea, I've thought about the doing the Winter Solstice Feast thing but with the local wealthy philanthropist throwing one for the whole city I can save myself the effort... ;)

Suck it Newcastle :p
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

Yeah, "retired" (there's a pleasant euphemism) the two chickens. I wouldn't describe it as "nice" (and I'm pretty bloody certain the chooks wouldn't)--more an unpleasant but necessary task, like getting an injection. From my point of view anyway; I suspect the chickens if asked may have differed in both their opinion of the unpleasantness of it, and the level of actual necessity.
The joke of it is that they got the chop because they weren't laying, and they were getting old--they hadn't laid for perhaps a month--but when I gutted one what did I find? Three yolks, in a little line. No shells yet, but it was coming back onto the lay. :roll: Oh well.

The writing group I go to had "Alliteration" as one suggested writing task, so there you go.

The feast is tomorrow. I've pre-prepared everything I can, leaving only the stuff that has to be made right then and there (you know, most of the stuff that takes the most work).
Yea, I've thought about the doing the Winter Solstice Feast thing but with the local wealthy philanthropist throwing one for the whole city I can save myself the effort... ;)

Suck it Newcastle :p
Hey! All the work is half the joy!
The other half is moaning about it. :lol:
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Korto wrote:Yeah, "retired" (there's a pleasant euphemism) the two chickens.
Aaaaand for some reason I read this as a peasant euphemism....

The yolks were just the chickens way of giving you the finger from the afterlife... I've experienced that before.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

What could be nicer than having super fresh, hand killed, you 100% know what you fed them and how you raised them meat for a feast? That's like the best possible sign of quality you could get.

Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

The_Saint wrote:
Korto wrote:Yeah, "retired" (there's a pleasant euphemism) the two chickens.
Aaaaand for some reason I read this as a peasant euphemism....
I suppose I could have said it was a pheasant euphemism, but that would have been a bit fowl of me.

Chickens got a little of their own back. Despite being marinated for five days, they were tough as tyre rubber. They actually tasted quite good, but I don't think I'll casserole old birds like that again. Slow cooker overnight.

Everything went well. The food was good, the trenchers worked, but I don't think I'll bother with them again; I've got lovely wooden plates I turned last year, anyway. Everyone had a good time, and I'm exhausted.

Purple--what I get out of it is a feeling of independence from the shops. It doesn't matter how good or bad the meat was (and it was quite tough), the fact was I raised those birds, I killed those birds, and I cooked those birds. I don't need your bloody supermarket, woolies! (You are convenient, though, so I'll keep on using you for everyday life, I reckon.)

Anyway, there's something wrong with my monitor. When it's switched on, after an instant it goes black (but not switching off, just a black screen), so I've currently plugged into my son's monitor and craning around to see. It's a bit of a pain in the neck, really. I suppose I could go onto his computer properly, but I'm going to go to bed instead. Maybe my monitor will be feeling better in the morning.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Korto wrote: marinated for five days, they were tough as tyre rubber. They actually tasted quite good, but I don't think I'll casserole old birds like that again. Slow cooker overnight.
I've had that experience - if you kill them after they finish laying they tend to be tougher. Dunno why, I'm not an agricultural ornithologist. :D
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

As a general rule, the older the meat animal the tougher the meat.

Or... yay slow cookers.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice