Another Person Eaten By Escalator - WTF?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Another Person Eaten By Escalator - WTF?

Post by Broomstick »

What the hell is it with Chinese escalators? First that lady last summer chewed up, there have been another couple of incidents, and now an escalator repair man got "sucked into" the escalator he was repairing. This guy survived, at least initially, but apparently he's in bad shape. Apparently someone or something stopped the machinery before it killed him outright.

WTF is the problem here? Power-lock-out requires a cheap-ass padlock and some common sense.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Re: Another Person Eaten By Escalator - WTF?

Post by Zixinus »

Maybe substandard safety requirements or they are weakly enforced? A particular "get it done anyhow" attitude? Something cultural? Or just a wave of bad publications?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Might be the large number of people and escalators in China, with numbers those large, even relatively rare accidents are likely to happen.

Apparently, 10,000 people in the US were sent to the emergency room from escalator mishaps in 2005.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/danger-on-the-escalator/
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

One does have to wonder what percentage of that 10,000 are down to mechanical flaws with the escalator itself, though. They tend to be high and steep enough that just losing your balance because you're carrying too much shopping would be enough to do yourself some major injury.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

You see, escalators combine the hazards of a stationary stairway with merciless mechanical stuff. They're more dangerous than I think people credit most of the time.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

It's because we are so used to them. Combined with the fact that most have sides which are covered up so that you can't see whats happening inside and people just newer realize that they are standing on a giant merciless meat grinder.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

In the US they normally have a maintenance timer, an actual clock that will shut down the machinery until reset by a service technition. They locate those with the motor under the moving stairs, so you have to partly take the thing apart to even think about resetting it. They need a lot of maintenance, mainly because so much dirt and crap from the floor and shoes gets into them.

This video looks like it could only be the result of incredibly bad working standards/conditions for the person, and not any flaw in the design, though that's no endorsement of it either. Working on the machine without turning it off is insane, but if nobody enforcing labor standards then employees inevitably will be forced into such unsafe actions. China has a lot of labor laws and regulations on paper, the government isn't completely moronic or even close too it, but enforcement is entirely lacking. Overall China is simply not a heavily policed and regulated state. Certainly opposition to the government itself is oppressed with great force, but that's in no small part precisely because the government doesn't control that much else.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

As Brody from Mallrats would say: GET THAT FUCKING KID OFF THE ESCALATOR!!!

And he would be right.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw