Garden visitors

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Garden visitors

Post by SpottedKitty »

Now that Springwatch is getting started for this year, I was wondering who else is getting unusual visitors in the garden.

Normally, we don't see anything more than various birds (starlings, sparrows, blackbirds, pigeons, the occasional blue tit or goldfinch), but starting at the beginning of April, we've had a fox turning up about every two or three days. He'll appear mid-afternoon, usually fast asleep, curled up in the overgrown back of the garden; wake up, scratch, yawn, perform a pretzel scratch, then amble over to the next sunny patch and flop down into a long flat orange fluffy sausage. Sometimes all I can see is an ear or a hairy hind end, poking out from behind a bush. The only other time I've seen a fox live was a few years ago, just a brief trotting-across-the-road evening sighting.

Anyone else seen something unusual this year?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Re: Garden visitors

Post by Dartzap »

Not directly in my garden, but Devon has had an invasion of bald-people hating Eagle owls in Exeter, and a slightly confused bearded vulture turned up on Dartmoor last week. Here's hoping the local Peregrines don't run them out of town!

I keep expecting the parakeet swarm in the South East to head west for the warmth, but nothing yet, sadly.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Hmmm...
Apart from the horses and average songbirds, I have seen:
roe deer
deer (stags, too)
fallow dear
wild boar
falcons
bussards
stork
crane
hedgehogs
stone and tree marten
3 or 4 kinds of frogs and toads I can't keep apart
lizards
blindworms
garter and grass snakes
adders
South Russian Tarantula
rabbits
owls
bats
emperor and other big dragonflies
praying and other mantides
foxes (they sometimes walk with me when I work, keeping a 3m safety distance, curiously watching what stupid stuff humans do all day.)
badgers (usually in an area of debris that was something that belonged to me. fuckers...)
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

There's a beaver that trundles through the back alley every few days. I think he lives in one of the nearby drainage ditches. Definitely a beaver, nothing else has a tail like that.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

We have the usual sparrows, finches, black birds, jays, and mourning doves. There's a hawk that likes eyeballing my koi but I have a net and a beagle to keep it away. We also of course get desert lizards, which are pretty neat.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Sadly garden wildlife here in South Wales is limited to neighborhood cats, one very lost and confused Labrador (good thing he had tags on his collar) and the occasional blind drunk student. Though I did glimpse a few robins around Christmas time.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I like up high in an apartment building in the middle of a city. There is a tree outside my window. It hosts songbirds. And by that I mean birds that chirp sort of nice. No idea what kind they are. :)
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rabbits, squirrel, more birds than you can name, and a possum at my house.

Mom's house has all of the above, plus a herd of deer, a couple skunks, and a bear that lumbers through every once in a while.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Rabbits! Stay the fuck out of the street! This is my domain, not yours, and every time I accidentally squish one of you to prove it, I feel bad for a lot longer than you do.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Wabbit stew! Huhuhuhuhuhhuhuhuhuhuh!
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:Wabbit stew! Huhuhuhuhuhhuhuhuhuhuh!

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

From "Rabbit Fire:"

"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Wabbit season.

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Don't go against Bugs. Just don't. He is the patron Trickster God of western civilization. You will lose in a way that makes other people laugh.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Raw Shark wrote:Don't go against Bugs. Just don't. He is the patron Trickster God of western civilization. You will lose in a way that makes other people laugh.
I have seen Bugs get bested only twice in my entire life. One when he stole the locks off the Panama Canal, and the second time was vs the Gremlin.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

And, of course, the end of "Rabbit Fire:"

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Raw Shark wrote:Don't go against Bugs. Just don't. He is the patron Trickster God of western civilization. You will lose in a way that makes other people laugh.
Don't forget that in Daffy he's up against the ancient Egyptian god of frustration. Image
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

On my late-night walks for exercise, I have seen:
Deer. I think they're black-tailed deer or mule deer . . . the one I saw last night sure had the ears for a mule comparison
A skunk, possibly. I heard a noise in the ditch and just caught what looked like the tail end of something black and white vanishing.
Millipedes. At least two different varieties, one all black and maybe three inches long, the other about two inches long, black with yellow spots down the sides.
Pill bugs. My brief internet research has informed me that there are two types of critters called "pill bugs". One is an isopod, part of the crustacean family, also known as the wood louse. The other is the pill millipede, a very short millipede which looks very much like a wood louse, probably because of convergent evolution. I have not yet bothered to pick them up and examine them to see which I'm dealing with.

That's about it. Between lots of animals being diurnal and human night vision being kind of poor, I haven't seen much.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The isopod pill bugs usually smell of ammonia. That's one way to tell them apart from the millipede variety.

The is the deep sea big cousin of the common garden isopod. No, I have no idea who the guy in the photo is, I just grabbed this example off the web. It does make for a nice size comparison, though.

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Broomstick wrote:No, I have no idea who the guy in the photo is, I just grabbed this example off the web.
He's a man who is a lot more brave about things that could happen to his genitals than I am, I can tell you that much.

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

SpottedKitty wrote:Don't forget that in Daffy he's up against the ancient Egyptian god of frustration.
It is one of my dearest hopes that I will live long enough to paint a Screaming Daffy on the side of my starfighter in my twilight years. I might not shoot a lot of Minbari down when they come for us, but the crew of one of their fishy frigates will know sheer terror as I kamikaze my wrinkled ass into them in the true self-destruct fashion of my mascot.

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Broomstick wrote:The isopod pill bugs usually smell of ammonia. That's one way to tell them apart from the millipede variety.

The is the deep sea big cousin of the common garden isopod. No, I have no idea who the guy in the photo is, I just grabbed this example off the web. It does make for a nice size comparison, though.
Can you eat that?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Raw Shark wrote:
SpottedKitty wrote:Don't forget that in Daffy he's up against the ancient Egyptian god of frustration.
It is one of my dearest hopes that I will live long enough to paint a Screaming Daffy on the side of my starfighter in my twilight years. I might not shoot a lot of Minbari down when they come for us, but the crew of one of their fishy frigates will know sheer terror as I kamikaze my wrinkled ass into them in the true self-destruct fashion of my mascot.

Commander Shark engages his afterburners and sets a collision course for the nearest Minbari War Cruiser. As the massive ship fills his cockpit, he unleashes a fearsome battle cry, "YOU'RE DESPICABLE!!!!!!!!"

*BOOM*
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Purple wrote:Can you eat that?
I guarantee that, if you have working jaws, you could at least one time. ;)
Borgholio wrote:Commander Shark engages his afterburners and sets a collision course for the nearest Minbari War Cruiser. As the massive ship fills his cockpit, he unleashes a fearsome battle cry, "YOU'RE DESPICABLE!!!!!!!!"

*BOOM*
:lol:

Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Raw Shark wrote:
Purple wrote:Can you eat that?
I guarantee that, if you have working jaws, you could at least one time. ;)
Good point. I walked into that one. :)
Although it does little to help me classify this thing on a cuddly pet - food item scale. Since it looks like it could fit neatly into both. Sort of like a bunny really only with more legs.