Garden visitors

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Garden visitors

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Besides the generic squirrels, birds, rats, racoons, and domestic cats, their is a long-standing infestation of small lizards around here.

Also owls and deer on occasion in the past.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Purple wrote:Would a bathtub work?
I suspect you need some form of water circulation, and for something the size of your forearm like that, a larger tank than your average US standard bathtub (42 gallons at the overflow valve). You do want to be able to watch the little bugger skitter about, after all. For maximum comfort, pressurizing equipment might be called for, but that adds a whole other layer of complexity, as you're dealing with a salt-water tank to start with.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

That all sounds... expensive. Like isn't there a budget version I could put in a small confined space, pay little for and that requires little upkeep?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Purple wrote:That all sounds... expensive. Like isn't there a budget version I could put in a small confined space, pay little for and that requires little upkeep?
Pick up one of these and keep it in a terrarium, then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armadillidiidae
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Purple wrote:That all sounds... expensive. Like isn't there a budget version I could put in a small confined space, pay little for and that requires little upkeep?
Not if you want the isopod to live long, or happily. This is something you should either do properly, with all the right equipment and supplies, or not do at all.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Pick up one of these and keep it in a terrarium, then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armadillidiidae
But those aren't cute.
Zaune wrote:Not if you want the isopod to live long, or happily. This is something you should either do properly, with all the right equipment and supplies, or not do at all.
Well realistically I won't do it because frankly it's probably not legal, certainly not safe and basically just an idle fantasy. But its a bit sad that even as an idle fantasy its ruined by the fact that actually doing it would be more trouble than its worth.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Purple wrote:Well realistically I won't do it because frankly it's probably not legal, certainly not safe and basically just an idle fantasy. But its a bit sad that even as an idle fantasy its ruined by the fact that actually doing it would be more trouble than its worth.
They're not an endangered species or anything. You'd just have to be willing to invest a few thousand dollars in getting a proper aquarium for it.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Zaune wrote:
Purple wrote:Well realistically I won't do it because frankly it's probably not legal, certainly not safe and basically just an idle fantasy. But its a bit sad that even as an idle fantasy its ruined by the fact that actually doing it would be more trouble than its worth.
They're not an endangered species or anything. You'd just have to be willing to invest a few thousand dollars in getting a proper aquarium for it.
As I said, not worth the effort. Anything that requires more upkeep than a cat is just an idle fantasy. Plus my parents would newer allow me to bring one into the home.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Salt water aquarium setups are pretty straightforward these days, not like a few decades ago when the spouse was mixing his own sea water from fresh. You have to monitor and adjust the salt levels, and you need to sink the money into a large enough tank and filtration system, but if you're willing to do it you can have very large aquaria as a private citizen. Sure, you could do it if you had the money for the necessary equipment and really wanted to do it. Maintenance isn't daily, they really are no more trouble than cats with a modern set up.

They do, however, tend to freak out family members.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Broomstick wrote:Salt water aquarium setups are pretty straightforward these days, not like a few decades ago when the spouse was mixing his own sea water from fresh. You have to monitor and adjust the salt levels, and you need to sink the money into a large enough tank and filtration system, but if you're willing to do it you can have very large aquaria as a private citizen. Sure, you could do it if you had the money for the necessary equipment and really wanted to do it. Maintenance isn't daily, they really are no more trouble than cats with a modern set up.

They do, however, tend to freak out family members.
Probably somewhat less trouble than a cat, once their enviroment is set up and maintained. No frequent vet bills, no toys,no litter boxes to change out, and no feline love children roaming round loose in the neighborhood(alternatively, no worries about having to spay him).

Still, a large pot of boiling water's much simpler. Tastier too.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

There is a large overgrown pile of dead tree branches in our garden, where the previous owners did some rather sloppery forestry and piled up the results to block a gap in the hedge. A vixen raised a family of fox kits under there last summer and they have been constantly playing around the house for the last 12 months. Actually knocked over several things and dug up some new plants we tried to put in. Other than that, several daily cat visitors and occasionally red deer (particularly if I let the grass get long). Really need to put proper fencing up.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Well, one of my hometown friends just reported finding a baby possom in the middle of the road and rescuing the poor thing. This is not unusual for my friend; it's like she's drawn to baby animals in danger. Shes' so far raised to adulthood several rabbits, two chipmunks, a starling, and a grass snake. As of last night, the baby possum was eating (wet cat food) and was alert and hissing at anything, but oddly it's not playing dead like it usually would.

Note: this is in the US, so we're talking the Virginia Opossom, which in WV grows to the size of a cat. We've been teasing her about fattening it up for dinner.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Yeah I get the same thing sometimes....almost got hit by several cars trying to rescue a wounded duck from the center of the road. Was kinda stupid in hindsight since the fucker flew away while I was chasing him. Should have let him sit in the center median where he would have been safe-ish. But I hate leaving animals to suffer.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Since we've sort of diverged from gardens to critters in general...

Today my spouse was sitting in the living room in front of the computer when something touched his leg. He looked down. It was a baby raccoon with its front paws on his leg. The spouse went GWAHHHH! and jumped up. The raccoon when GWAHHHH! and ran away.

Cue the spouse and landlord chasing baby raccoon around the living room and kitchen as it ducked under and out of various furnishings and obstacles.

The baby raccoon was eventually captured and released into the wild near a pond about a half mile away from the house.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

And bringing the topic full circle, I spotted that fox again for the first time in more than a week. Just looked out of the kitchen window as I was making lunch today, and saw its tail disappearing behind the shed. I think the sneaky critter's been there all along, the overgrown bit at the back of the garden's just so overgrown it can flop down, curl up and vanish.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Argleblargle. Tried to edit this into my previous post, forgot I couldn't.

On a general wildlife note, this happened in Wales earlier this week — a seagull trying to filch a snack fell into a container of curry.

The poor thing looks utterly outraged, and it doesn't seem to be in much of a better mood after washing.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

My experience with seagulls is that they are pretty much pissed off and/or hungry all the time.

Saw a video of that curry gull on the TV tonight. Supposedly still smelled "spicy" the next day even with freshly cleaned feathers. Which was probably an improvement over the normal smell of gulls.

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Heh, yes, that sounds about right. I remember a while back (must be at least 20 years ago) the family went off to a little village up the coast for a day's fishing. My uncle did a really far cast, and a seagull managed to fly into his line as it went out. We got it reeled in — we were sitting on the harbour breakwater, which... didn't help — and eventually got it unwrapped and released, but it was very loudly unhappy about the whole incident.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Typical Friday evening - bunch of domestic cats and dogs, an absolute shitload of suicidal bunnies, various beasties of the wingèd variety feasting on the remains of the successfully suicidal bunnies, a couple of foxes, a sheep standing in the road that I swear fucking growled at me as I went around it, a pheasant, a herd of small hairy cows, a herd of Dartmoor ponies, a deer that leapt out of the hedgerow and made a valiant effort to fling itself through my windscreen but failed because of my collision avoidance skills, a couple of feral hikers and a shade throwing badger.

The cougar in the tailored skirt suit and heels that gave me the once over and a wicked grin as I was getting out of my car probably doesn't count.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Well, it's the first time I've ever seen possums in my neighbourhood, apparently they are considered an invasive species in Ontario. Oh and what appears to be an insomniac great-horned owl, as I've seen it perched on poles and flying around in broad daylight. I suppose that's something.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

They're not native to Ontario, so yes, they're invasive. Probably driven north by loss of habitat, or, equally likely, some damn fools brought some up as pets, and abandoned them to go feral and breed. Either case, maybe you could use these.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

SpottedKitty wrote:Argleblargle. Tried to edit this into my previous post, forgot I couldn't.

On a general wildlife note, this happened in Wales earlier this week — a seagull trying to filch a snack fell into a container of curry.

The poor thing looks utterly outraged, and it doesn't seem to be in much of a better mood after washing.
That is one ANGRY bird...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Lucy Kells wrote:The thing that shocked us the most was the smell. He smelled amazing, he really smelled good.
She makes it sound like the flying rat barely made it out of there alive...

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Speaking of seagulls, I watched a black-faced gull spend about ten minutes making repeated strafing runs in front of the building the other day. Never did figure out what it was attacking, there was nothing there when I went outside to look.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

There's possums in the big melaleuca in the back yard--the bloody things steal the plums out of my tree. Ahh, what the fuck, I can share. A couple of years ago, a couple of tawny frogmouths set up a nest in the melaleuca and raised some chicks, which was pretty cool. We didn't disturb them, so I hoped they'd come back, but they haven't. :(
There's also a blue-tongue wandering around the backyard somewhere. How the fuck aren't those things extinct because of cats and dogs? Slow and fat--hardly seems like an ideal combination.

In my old place, next to the swamp (in the neighbouring suburb they called it the "Wetlands", but they had higher property values), we'd have the occasional visiting turtle (which drove the dog nuts--all the barking and biting in the world did sweet fuck all), I once had a baby snake in the spare room (tentatively identified by someone else who took it as a pet as a taipan), and a fully grown owl trapped between the couch and the stereo cabinet. It wasn't terribly happy. I wore great big thick motorcycle gauntlets to pull it out, and I could feel it through those gloves--it had a pretty good go at me. Fuck, that was not a happy budgie. :lol:
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor