applejack
Padawan Learner

RIP Alan Young (AKA Scrooge McDuck)

Post by applejack »

A.V. Club
R.I.P. Alan Young, Mister Ed star and Scrooge McDuck voice actor
By Sam Barsanti@sambarsanti
May 21, 2016 2:45 PM

According to Variety, Mister Ed and DuckTales star Alan Young has died. He was 96.

Young was born in England to Scottish parents in 1919, and when he was a boy, he and his family moved to Canada. He reportedly suffered from chronic asthma, and he became interested in the radio while bedridden. As a young man, he got his own comedy show on Canadian radio, but an American agent brought him to New York in the ‘40s to work for NBC. He eventually transitioned to TV, winning an Emmy for his work on The Alan Young Show, and in the ‘50s he began working in film. Young even appeared alongside Rod Taylor and Yvette Mimieux in the 1961 adaptation of H.G. Wells’ The Time Machine.

However, his most famous role—depending on your age, probably—came shortly after that when he was cast as Wilbur Post on Mister Ed. Young played the straight man to Allan Lane’s goofy, talking horse, and for six seasons the pair got into the various shenanigans that you’d expect a guy and his talking horse would get into. When Mister Ed ended, Young took a lengthy sabbatical from acting, and he eventually returned a decade later to work primarily as a voice actor.

For younger people, Young’s voice work is easily just as iconic as his role on Mister Ed. He played Haggis MacHaggis on The Ren & Stimpy Show, the similarly named Haggis McMutton in the Curse Of Monkey Island video game, and Hiram Flaversham in The Great Mouse Detective. He also starred on DuckTales, frequently diving into a giant vault of money as Scrooge McDuck. Young continued playing Scrooge for many years after that, popping up on Mickey Mouse Works, Mickey’s Once Upon A Christmas, House Of Mouse, and the Kingdom Hearts games.

Young is survived by four children.
See you in the great big money bin in the sky... :(
Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever *pauses* Thy will be done *munch munch munch*. - Homer Simpson
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: RIP Alan Young (AKA Scrooge McDuck)

Post by Broomstick »

You know, I completely ignored this until I realized that the Alan Young was also Wilbur Post from Mr. Ed - I guess my age is showing. He had an impressively long career in show business.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

R.I.P., Will-hil-hil-burr.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

I'm uncomfortably reminded of human mortality- not only my own, but that of other beloved actors and actresses.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Sidewinder wrote:I'm uncomfortably reminded of human mortality- not only my own, but that of other beloved actors and actresses.
Humans currently die. It's a fact. Maybe we'll fix that someday, but right now, it's what you do while you are here that matters. Put your balls on the table and do everything you can to maximize the mark you leave on the world, because (IMHO) there is nothing else.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker