2016 Formula 1

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Re: 2016 Formula 1

Post by Alferd Packer »

I dunno, it's hard to stay on top after a significant rule change. Also, I believe the FIA has banned Merc's FRIC 2.0 suspension, so even if everything else stayed the same in 2017, Merc would be at a disadvantage right off the bat. Don't get me wrong, HAMBOT are great drivers and I think the car will have a lot going for it, I just think Red Bull, Ferrari, and McLaren are going to be a lot closer this year.

I dunno, maybe it's just wishful thinking.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

atg wrote:So in one of the worst kept secrets in F1 Bottas has officially joined Mercedes and Massa comes out from a Mansell-esc retirement.

Will be interesting to see how Bottas goes at Merc. I'm feeling he'll be a solid #2 to Hamilton, but wont push him. Hamilton should be favourite to win the season if Merc can keep their advantage.
Definitely, with their budget and R&D - they are miles ahead of any other team in car performance I think.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Thanas wrote:
atg wrote:So in one of the worst kept secrets in F1 Bottas has officially joined Mercedes and Massa comes out from a Mansell-esc retirement.

Will be interesting to see how Bottas goes at Merc. I'm feeling he'll be a solid #2 to Hamilton, but wont push him. Hamilton should be favourite to win the season if Merc can keep their advantage.
Definitely, with their budget and R&D - they are miles ahead of any other team in car performance I think.
The gap has been getting smaller since 2014, and the rule changes to engine dev and aero do give other teams a big opportunity to play catch up or leapfrog Merc. But yeah they should be favourties still.
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

atg wrote:
Thanas wrote:

The gap has been getting smaller since 2014, and the rule changes to engine dev and aero do give other teams a big opportunity to play catch up or leapfrog Merc. But yeah they should be favourties still.

Yeah, about those rule changes....They most likely won't change anything.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Well, it's probably gonna go one of two ways:

1. The increased drag from the larger tires will make engine power king. In that case, Merc will have the edge, because they have the best power unit.
2. The massively increased cornering speeds will make chassis setup more important than raw power. In that case, I'd give the edge to Red Bull, because their chassis always seems to be the best.

I do agree that it's going to be one of the big teams who takes it all. None of the midfield runners have the staff, budget, or skill to develop a winning car, unless they randomly stumble across the perfect setup or get lucky circumstances during the race. But really, I'm not holding my breath for that.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.