New Indiana Jones Movie due out in 2019

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: New Indiana Jones Movie due out in 2019

Post by Gandalf »

Maybe Indy can go to 'Nam, and have his own Apocalypse Now plotline. I'd love to see old Indy as Col. Kurtz, sent mad by all of the insane mystical shit he's had to see.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

"Indiana Jones: And the Colonoscopy of Fate!"
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

This would be an excellent time to point out that an Indy movie doesn't need to lead with Indy. For example, they could cast someone not-Shia-Leboeuf as a student prodigy of his who comes to him in his old age for help. Say, a promising young 60's hippie fledgling Greenpeace girl who goes off to protest something something strange foreign lands and stumbles upon ancient city something something jungle commies Vietnam something ACTION! Indy can play the mentor role, as Sean Connery did before him. People don't seem to remember that Ford can actually act, and he's charming.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

If they wanted to, they could actually recast Mutt with a different actor and have him be in his thirties in an Indy V movie set in the 1960s. Casting Chris Pratt for it seems almost too clever by half, but someone could do it and serve as the Next Indy if they want to continue the franchise. Otherwise, they might as well just do prequels for the next ones.

I liked Kingdom of the Crystal, so I'm not too worried about the quality on this one. It'll be fun and exciting, and Ford will at least bring a lot of enthusiasm to it (guy seems to genuinely love Indiana Jones and Indiana Jones movies).
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Guardsman Bass wrote:It'll be fun and exciting, and Ford will at least bring a lot of enthusiasm to it (guy seems to genuinely love Indiana Jones and Indiana Jones movies).
Who wouldn't? If I was him, every time I was feeling a little down, I'd look myself in the eye in the mirror and say, "I'm Indiana Motherfucking Jones," and perk up immediately and thoroughly.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

:D

Now I'm wondering if either Christian Bale or Ben Affleck has done that, but with "I'm the motherfucking Batman".
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Affleck doesn't have the right, not after just one movie. He can't say he is Batman, in the same sense that Ford is Indy.

Bale... yeah, he has the right to do that, after putting in what is arguably the definitive Batman performance of the past few decades.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Well, I though Affleck gave a better performance than Bale, honestly, even if I sort of prefer the way Bale's version was written.

Anyway, to my knowledge, he's already slated to be in at least four more films as Batman (Suicide Squad, the Justice League two-parter, and a stand-alone Batman film), one of which has already been filmed (Suicide Squad). Which would mean that he'll have, at minimum, five films to Bale's three.

I think Affleck will end up being the definitive live-action Batman for this generation.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Back on Indiana Jones, this Vulture article brings up the good point that they could whatever Indy movie they want, including ones set back in the 1930s:
Vulture wrote: Recently, when Steven Spielberg announced a new Indiana Jones movie, fans complained that a 73-year-old Harrison Ford was too old, but their outrage was based on a false assumption: that Ford will look 73 in the film. If he wanted to, Spielberg could make Ford look 38, his age in Raiders of the Lost Ark, or 47, his age when Indy drank from the Holy Grail.
It would cost some money, but an Indy movie is going to be big-budget anyways. They'd just age-down Ford in the scenes he's in, and then use stunt doubles with the faces digitally replaced for any scenes involving a lot of physical activity.

I still like the idea of Indy in the 1960s, but this would work as well.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, part of the problem is that regardless of his apparent screen age, Ford is old, to the point where any scene requiring action is likely to be risky if not impossible, and where his health holding out through production of the movie is a nontrivial concern.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I personally wouldn't have an issue with Ford's Indy being a bookworm or archivist who helps the "next" Indy with critical information and wisdom throughout the movie. Dr Jones is very old by that point, but he has seen a LOT.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Slightly-Related: I can't find it on YouTube, but the folk-singer Melanie (who is very funny and, among other things, performed at Woodstock), wrote a song called, "David Duchovny, Why Won't You Love Me?" that the actual David Duchovny claims to keep on a cassette tape in his car to play when he's having a bad day.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker