OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Natural selection at work

Post by Borgholio »

http://www.wsmv.com/story/31060286/inve ... rier-teens
GREENBRIER, TN (WSMV) -

Law enforcement in Greenbrier is investigating the deaths of two teenagers.

One teen, 16-year-old Logan Stephenson, was found unresponsive in his home in Greenbrier and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Another teen was taken to Vanderbilt University Medical Center, where he later died. The second victim has not yet been identified.

Police said they believe the teens may have ingested racing fuel mixed with Mountain Dew.

The Greenbrier Police Department said it is not clear if the two incidents are related, but they believe this is isolated to one specific group of teens. Foul play is not suspected in either case.

The medical examiner's office will be releasing a report about the teens' cause of death within the next two weeks.

“I feel quite certain these people did not understand the potential lethality of this ingestion,” said Donna Seger, medical director with the Tennessee Poison Control Center.

Seger said this is the first time she has heard of the mixture, known as “Dew Shine.” PepsiCo distributes a non-alcoholic drink under the same name unrelated to the dangerous mixture.

“It’s a mixture of Mountain Dew and then methanol in racing fuel,” she said. “There’s a little bit of methanol in the alcohol you drink, and that’s said to cause the hangover. To drink straight methanol is really a recipe for disaster.”

Seger said two other teens who drank the mixture were treated and released.

“It’s affecting things on the cellular level,” Seger said. “It’s threatening the eyes, can cause one to go blind.”

There is now a memorial at Stephenson’s parking spot at Greenbrier High School. While the city mourns the loss of two teens, Seger said she hopes to reach others with a warning.

“If you don’t know what’s in it or how dangerous it is, you shouldn’t take it,” she said.

A vigil for Stephenson will be held at the high school on Tuesday night.

Anyone with information about the deaths of the teens is urged to call the Greenbrier Police Department at 615-643-4467.

Read more: http://www.wsmv.com/story/31060286/inve ... z3yT5S6UWQ
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Re: Natural selection at work

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Well, my guess would be that these kids realized getting race gas (methanol, as per the article) is easier than getting a pack of Bud Lite. They thought "alcohol is alcohol" and wanted to have a bit of fun...

Too bad methanol is toxic as hell and doesn't get you drunk. I was going to make a flippant comment, but thinking on it it's not impossible that these kids heard how race fuel is made from alcohol and were unaware that it's not the ethanol kind. Which is somewhat understandable. Most gasoline these days contains ethanol, so... This may also be a consequence of not having actual discussions on drinking with our children.

These two were far from the first teens to get killed doing something something incredibly unwise, and they're not gonna be the last...
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Yeah this seems like teens not getting that the little difference between Ethanol(C2H6) and Methanol(CH4) is the difference between getting drunk and ingesting leathal toxin.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Looks like the Dew did them.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

The funny thing is, to counteract methanol poisoning they should drink ethanol.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

I remember that from an episode of House, M.D., the death-row inmate drank copier toner or something and House fixed it by taking shots with the guy.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Lord Revan wrote:Yeah this seems like teens not getting that the little difference between Ethanol(C2H6) and Methanol(CH4) is the difference between getting drunk and ingesting leathal toxin.
a slight correction here CH4 is methane not methanol Methanol is CH3OH and Ethanol is C2H5OH

granted drinking Methane isn't anymore healthy then drinking Methanol.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:This may also be a consequence of not having actual discussions on drinking with our children.
"Don't drink random shit" is something these idiots should have learned by the time they started primary school. Child-proof caps exist to protect toddlers, not people old enough to drive.
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

How likely is it, that they wanted to drink the "DewShine" made by Pepsi and got this racing-fuel stuff instead?
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Very, very unlikely. The soft drink is clearly-labeled and is gladly sold to much younger children at a lot more locations than racing fuel. These were teenagers doing the same sort of shit as my friend in high school who tried to smoke a banana peel and toothpaste because he heard it could get you high.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

Lord Revan wrote:granted drinking Methane isn't anymore healthy then drinking Methanol.
Since it's got a boiling temperature of -161C, I imagine not.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor