Board updates

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

AdmiralKanos
Lex Animata
Lex Animata

Board updates

Post by AdmiralKanos »

Just FYI, I added back the spoiler tags, and I also updated the Imperial Wiki. Please let me know if there are any problems.

The phpBB software has a point-update as of Jan 11, so I'll see if I can get that installed this week as well.
For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little planet Cybertron.
But now, you shall witnesss ... its dismemberment!

"This is what happens when you use trivia napkins for research material"- Sea Skimmer on "Pearl Harbour".
"Do you work out? Your hands are so strong! Especially the right one!"- spoken to Bud Bundy
Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: Board updates

Post by Jub »

That's good news. Any word on the issues with editing posts that some parts of the forum are having?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

AdmiralKanos wrote:Just FYI, I added back the spoiler tags, and I also updated the Imperial Wiki. Please let me know if there are any problems.

The phpBB software has a point-update as of Jan 11, so I'll see if I can get that installed this week as well.
Spoiler
Thank you very much
EDIT: That is strange, it won't show itself....
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Thanas - i do not seem able to unclick the spoiler - was there anything there?
Spoiler
like this example
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
AdmiralKanos
Lex Animata
Lex Animata

Post by AdmiralKanos »

I don't know why Thanas' post doesn't work. Let me try another one: Spoiler
Test #2

"This is what happens when you use trivia napkins for research material"- Sea Skimmer on "Pearl Harbour".
"Do you work out? Your hands are so strong! Especially the right one!"- spoken to Bud Bundy
AdmiralKanos
Lex Animata
Lex Animata

Post by AdmiralKanos »

AdmiralKanos wrote:I don't know why Thanas' post doesn't work. Let me try another one: Spoiler
Test #2
He had a quote in his post; maybe that was the problem. Trying a third test. Spoiler
Test #3

AdmiralKanos
Lex Animata
Lex Animata

Post by AdmiralKanos »

Ah, that's it. When there's a quote in the same post, the tag doesn't work. Damn.

I'm going to post the code, and maybe somebody can figure out the problem:
<div style="margin-bottom: 2px;"> <b>Spoiler </b><input value="Show" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; width: 60px; font-size: 10px;" onclick="if(this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display != 'inline') { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'inline'; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Hide'; } else { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'none'; this.innerText = ''; this.value='Show'; }" type="button"> </div> <div style="border: 1px inset; padding: 6px;"> <div style="display: none;">{TEXT}</div> </div>
The software substitutes this code whenever you use a spoiler tag, with {TEXT} replaced by whatever's enclosed in the tags.

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Testing: Spoiler
Text goes here.
Jub wrote:That's good news. Any word on the issues with editing posts that some parts of the forum are having?
Okay, with great amounts of dicking around I found the bug: Quotes above a spoiler tag break it, regardless of what you put in there. I'm guessing that an image above it will do the same thing. Other testing of the spoiler tag showed that if there aren't any quotes above a spoiler, but there are those below, only the top one seems to function properly.

I've been using preview to test this shit out, and as you can see by clicking, with the quote beneath the spoiler the spoiler opens just fine. If you include spoiler multiple times only the topmost opens.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

It's not just quotes. Through some poking I've found that essentially any div above the code breaks it. In essence the code you have treats all divs on the page as being the 1st div on the page. So if you were to say copy paste it 5 times into a HTML document all the buttons will toggle the 1st spoiler. I am looking for a code solution for this now. But figured I might as well report my findings so far.

EDIT: It's definitively an issue with the nesting and code. I've managed to get the spoilers to hide properly by testing it as raw HTML but I can't get the visual style right.

Code: Select all

<div style="margin-bottom: 2px;">
	<b>Spoiler </b>
	<input value="Show" 
		style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; width: 60px; font-size: 10px;"
		onclick="
			if(this.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display != 'inline')
			{ 
				this.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'inline'; this.innerText = '';
				this.value = 'Hide';
			} 
			else 
			{
				this.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'none';
				this.innerText = ''; this.value='Show'; 
			}" 
		type="button">
	</br>
	<div style="border: 1px inset; padding: 6px;">
		<div style="display: none;">{TEXT}</div> 
	</div>
</div>
This code produces spoilers that work fine but display as tiny boxes next to the button as opposed to a full width one like you have now. But it might be a good starting point.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

An update. I think this code should work. It certainly does in my browser. Test it when you can and if you are willing.

Code: Select all

<b>Spoiler </b>
   <input value="Show" 
      style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; width: 60px; font-size: 10px;"
      onclick="
         if(this.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[0].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display != 'inline')
         { 
            this.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[0].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'inline'; 
            this.value = 'Hide';
         } 
         else 
         {
            this.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[0].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'none';
				this.value='Show'; 
         }" 
      type="button">
   </br>
   <div style="border: 1px inset; padding: 6px;">
      <div style="display: none;">{TEXT}</div> 
   </div>
</div>
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

AdmiralKanos wrote:He had a quote in his post; maybe that was the problem. Trying a third test.
Very odd; I'm not going to leave any of the spoiler tests in the quote in case Even Weirder Stuff™ happens. Did anyone else see that if they clicked the second "show" outside the quote, it changed to "hide" (with nothing in the outlined box) and the "Spoiler <show button>" label inside the quote vanished, leaving only the outlined box? I've seen phpBB boards glitch in some really weird ways, but this is a new one on me.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

My experimentation so far has lead me to conclude that it's up to the way the software parses BB into HTML. Essentially his code for the quote tag has a bug which causes it to select the 1st <div> tag in the post and work with that every time. So if there is any element in the post that parses into a <div>, and I imagine all of them do than the button for the spoiler tries to manipulate it. You can see that behavior easily if you just post two spoilers under one another.
Spoiler
Text 1
Spoiler
Text 2

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Oh, that's neat — it doesn't matter which button I click, I only ever see the first hidden text! Image
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

SpottedKitty wrote:Oh, that's neat — it doesn't matter which button I click, I only ever see the first hidden text! Image
Yep. The code I posted should (unless it clashes with something on the server) fix that. Assuming he uses it. You can test it out your self. Just copy paste it a couple of times into a text document, rename it as .html and open it.

AdmiralKanos
Lex Animata
Lex Animata

Post by AdmiralKanos »

Hi, Purple. I tried your code, but it still seems to be acting weird.

Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

AdmiralKanos wrote:Hi, Purple. I tried your code, but it still seems to be acting weird.
What kind of bugs are you experiencing now? Are they new bugs? Is the code in the system now so we can play around with it? Odds are it's interacting with something else that's also bugging out. I noticed that for example with the old code I could toggle bits in a nested quote tag.

EDIT: Looking at the behavior now it would seem that there are probably bugs in a lot of tags that are compounding to create a single unified problem with the spoilers. Like did you have to write all the code for all the tags your self? How much did you get with the forum software?

This is getting interesting.

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

testing spoiler within a spolier Spoiler
textSpoiler
central text
outsdie right
outside all.

oooh, it triggers on the first [/spiler] it finds.
Spoiler
textSpoiler
central text
outsdie right
outside all.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

What I would not give for a glimpse at the total source code of this thing...

gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Is there a way to mark an old thread as unread? I seem to remember the forum having this ability before the update. Rereading some older fairly large threads and it would be a bit easier to keep track of where I am if they were marked unread.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Thanks for still investing the time in this place.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

gigabytelord wrote:Is there a way to mark an old thread as unread? I seem to remember the forum having this ability before the update. Rereading some older fairly large threads and it would be a bit easier to keep track of where I am if they were marked unread.
There is a bookmark option, although I don't know if you would get in the habit of using, but it's there next to the "Post Reply" link as a wrench button.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."