2016 Oscar nominations.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

2016 Oscar nominations.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/os ... d=36271826
"Spotlight," "The Revenant," "Mad Max: Fury Road" and "The Martian" led the way this morning as the 2016 Oscar nominations were officially announced.

"The Revenant" led overall with 12 nods.

Read: Oscars 2015: Top 5 Moments From the Show
Related: Oscars 2015: Alexander Schultz -- 'Foxcatcher,' My Father and My Life Today

ABC US News
The biggest stars in Hollywood also led the way in individual categories with Leonardo DiCaprio being nominated for Best Actor, along with Matt Damon, Michael Fassbender and Eddie Redmayne. Cate Blanchett, Brie Larson and Jennifer Lawrence were among those nominated in the Best Actress category.

Following up on his big Golden Globes win, Sylvester Stallone earned a nod for bringing Rocky back to the big screen in "Creed."

Here's the complete list for the 88th Academy Awards:

BEST PICTURE

The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

BEST ACTOR

Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
Matt Damon, The Martian
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl

BEST ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett, Carol
Brie Larson, Room
Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years
Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Christian Bale, The Big Short
Tom Hardy, The Revenant
Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
Sylvester Stallone, Creed

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
Rooney Mara, Carol
Rachel McAdams, Spotlight
Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

DIRECTING

Adam McKay - The Big Short
George Miller - Mad Max: Fury Road
Alejandro G. Iñárritu - The Revenant
Lenny Abrahamson - Room
Tom McCarthy - Spotlight

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Anomalisa
Boy and the World
Inside Out
Shaun the Sheep Movie
When Marnie Was There

COSTUME DESIGN

Carol
Cinderella
The Danish Girl
The Revenant

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Amy
Cartel Land
The Look of Silence
What Happened, Miss Simone?
Winter on Fire

DOCUMENTARY SHORT

Body Team
Chau, Beyond the Lines
Claude Lanzmann
A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness
Last Day of Freedom

MAKEUP AND HAIR STYLING

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
The Revenant

ORIGINAL SONG

"Earned It" - Fifty Shades of Grey
"Manta Ray" - Racing Extinction
"Simple Song #3" - Youth
"Til It Happens to You" - The Hunting Ground
"Writing's on the Wall" - Spectre

ANIMATED SHORT

Bear Story
Prologue
Sanjay's Super Team
We Can't Live Without Cosmos
World of Tomorrow

SOUND EDITING

Sicario
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
The Martian
The Revenant

FILM EDITING

The Big Short
The Revenant
Spotlight

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Embrace of the Serpent
Mustang
Son of Saul
Theeb
A War

ORIGINAL SCORE

Bridge of Spies
Carol
The Hateful Eight
Sicario

PRODUCTION DESIGN

Bridge of Spies
The Danish Girl
The Martian
The Revenant

VISUAL EFFECTS

Ex Machina
The Martian
The Revenant

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

The Big Short
Brooklyn
Carol
The Martian
Room

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Bridge of Spies
Ex Machina
Inside Out
Spotlight
Straight Outta Compton
Not much for Star Wars, but boy did Fury Road do well. The Martian's got a lot of nominations too, including some in major categories. A good year for science fiction, it seems.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: 2016 Oscar nominations.

Post by Iroscato »

Really hope DiCaprio finally gets Best Actor, if only to see the internet collapse into chaos immediately after :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Sci-fi and fantasy movies rarely excel at the Academy Awards. IIRC Star Wars has never gotten anything but technical stuff. Lord of the Rings is the extremely rare exception, and they waited until it was over with Return of the King to give it anything.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Chimaera wrote:Really hope DiCaprio finally gets Best Actor, if only to see the internet collapse into chaos immediately after :P
Nah, it's probably already in the bag for Redmayne.

Solid acting in a character-centric movie about a Transgender. The academy are suckers for that. (And he would deserve it as much as the other contenders, as well - as I said, he did a really good acting job in that movie.)
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Chimaera wrote:Really hope DiCaprio finally gets Best Actor, if only to see the internet collapse into chaos immediately after :P
I know he used to have a bad rep among the nerd scene, but I thought after "Gangs of New York" he's been pretty much widely accepted as a legitimate actor?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Elheru Aran wrote:Sci-fi and fantasy movies rarely excel at the Academy Awards. IIRC Star Wars has never gotten anything but technical stuff. Lord of the Rings is the extremely rare exception, and they waited until it was over with Return of the King to give it anything.
As I recall, the original was nominated for Best Picture, but did not win.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:Sci-fi and fantasy movies rarely excel at the Academy Awards. IIRC Star Wars has never gotten anything but technical stuff. Lord of the Rings is the extremely rare exception, and they waited until it was over with Return of the King to give it anything.
As I recall, the original was nominated for Best Picture, but did not win.
It was, and it was (rightly) beaten by Annie Hall. It was actually nominated for a bunch of stuff.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

After the horrendous snub at the Golden Globes, Mark Rylance really needs to win something.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

The cynic in me thinks Redmayne and Blanchet will win their respective categories solely to appeal to the LGBT crowd. Not that they didn't have good performances, but their roles have that extra social justice juice to propel them above others like DiCaprio who IMO were much better.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I don't know, if the Globes are any indication, it'll be either DiCaprio or Damon.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Balrog wrote:The cynic in me thinks Redmayne and Blanchet will win their respective categories solely to appeal to the LGBT crowd. Not that they didn't have good performances, but their roles have that extra social justice juice to propel them above others like DiCaprio who IMO were much better.
There does seem to be an element of this. It used to be all about the Holocaust, now it has largely moved on to other things. Sadly the following actually happened in reality, after Kate Winslet pointed out this problem:

Glad to see The Martian with so many nominations. Though I largely enjoyed it, TFA wasn't Oscar worthy.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

So for the second year in a row the acting awards have only white nominees (plus, with the exception of Inarritu, all of the directing nominees are also white). Considering the shit that was thrown at them last year, I'm actually somewhat surprised that the Academy did it again, especially since it's not like there weren't a lot of strong contenders. The names I've heard thrown around the most for getting snubbed are Idris Elba for Beasts of No Nation, Samuel L. Jackson for The Hateful Eight, Kitana Rodriguez for Tangerine, Will Smith for Concussion, and Michael B. Jordan for Creed, along with mentions for Ryan Coogler for directing Creed and F. Gary Gray for directing Straight Outta Compton.

It's actually almost funny with Creed and Straight Outta Compton, since both are movies with black directors and black main characters, but they each received only only nomination, and the people being nominated are all white (Stallone for Best Supporting in Creed, and Jonathan Herman and Andrea Berloff for Best Original Screenplay in Straight Outta Compton).
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

That's probably why Carol and The Danish Girl got so many nominations instead, so they can still claim to be progressive.

Although I guess in a show of conciliation for next year they could make a rule where one nomination in each category must go to a "PoC," with the caveat that if a "PoC" doesn't win a given category in a three-year span the next one in that category automatically wins? :P :D
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring