Renting a camper in Australia

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

salm
Rabid Monkey

Renting a camper in Australia

Post by salm »

Hi,
I´m thinking about traveling to Australia soon and thought about renting a camper and drive along the coast.
I got quoted around 650 Australian dollars for some hippie camper van like the following for two weeks.

http://www.aussiecampervans.com/request ... 6/0/others

Is that a decent price or are there better deals or ways to get around?

The website also states that it requres an LP Gas refill. I assume that is the same thing as LPG in Europe. Is it also as cheap as here or would it be economically better to rent a diesel or petrol van? How much is one liter of LP Gas/diesel/petrol?
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: Renting a camper in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I have a brochure from the local travel agent which includes campervans. Ball park figures are around $46 AUD per day to $122 AUD per day for the really good ones, so at cheaper levels it comes comparable to yours for 2 weeks. If you want a station wagon (seats up to 5 people and sleeps 2), air conditioner, cd player, "ample boot storage" it comes from $36 which is somewhat cheaper.

Please note, that the brochure says "from x dollars per day." When I checked the website earlier (when I was considering a road trip myself), they prices available at my travel time weren't the lowest. So if you can get 2 weeks at $650 AUD then that's pretty good value.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Cool, thank you for the information. I´ll consider the station wagon, as two sleeps are actually enough. Or perhaps a tent if I can convince the gf that we won´t get eaten by Australian spiders/snakes/tazmanian devils in a tent.

Can you tell me aproximate petrol/diesel/LPG prices in Australia?
It sounds weird but I only find either 10 year old data, sites with no date or sites that try to sell me lpg in quantities of 1000 literes and more.
Regular gasoline seems to be around 1.35 Aus Dollars and LPG at around 0.65 Aus Dollars. Is that correct?
And how is the LPG network. Will I find LPG in most places or will I have to fill up with regular gasoline in some areas?
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

http://www.fuelwatch.wa.gov.au/fuelwatc ... /home.jspx

This is only for my state of WA (prices include taxes). Not sure how to get other states, but I suspect other states aren't too dissimilar.

Other rule is, its more expensive in rural or country areas vs metropolitan areas.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Awesome. Thank you.
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

Far as I can see, from here and here, as long as you're sticking around on the East coast, you seem to be pretty OK.
Wouldn't suggest it in north west WA, though.
Hey, you're the bloke I had an argument with about the morality of meat, aren't you? (And then the site dropped out for days, and I lost the momentum for it). If you're coming through Newcastle, give a head's up and we can say Hi.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

BTW Salm, where and when exactly are you driving around Aus? Along the east coast or the west coast? I am pretty much not working for 6 months starting from February (so I can do something I really wanted to do, more travelling). If you are in Perth (and I am not overseas), pop in and say hi. And if I ever come to Germany, I can do the same.

salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Hey, thanks guys. The gf and me reconsidered and we´ll be traveling through Mexico this time.
But Australia is on the list and perhaps next time we can arrange something.
If you ever come to Germany we can definately arrange something as well.
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

No longer relevant but the LP gas refill it mentions would be for cooking. Gas cylinders can be refilled at many petrol stations and depending on amount needed about AU$15-30. The vehicle itself uses petrol.

If you do come to Australia and more importantly if you come to Tasmania (the best part of Australia) hit me up.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The_Saint wrote:If you do come to Australia and more importantly if you come to Tasmania (the best part of Australia) hit me up.
Tasmania, the Aussie version of Newfies. From what I've heard from 'real Aussies' is that you guys talk real funny and are even lazier than people in the north.
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Lol "real Aussies"

Well all I can say to that is that there's almost no regional variation to the Australian accent so anyone who claims otherwise is scraping the barrel of insults.

I wouldn't say we're any more lazy than mainlanders, generally I'd say the laziness is just an external viewpoint of the laid back attitude ingrained into the Australian psyche.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The_Saint wrote:Lol "real Aussies"

Well all I can say to that is that there's almost no regional variation to the Australian accent so anyone who claims otherwise is scraping the barrel of insults.

I wouldn't say we're any more lazy than mainlanders, generally I'd say the laziness is just an external viewpoint of the laid back attitude ingrained into the Australian psyche.
I know, I'm just ribbing you based on what my Aussie friends told me when I was down there. I mainly stayed in a smallish mining city called Traralgon around 2 hours outside of Melbourne, and then a little time with an uncle on the outskirts of Perth. If I'd had the spare cash I'd have popped over to Taz and probably tried to convince my buddy and his wife that we should road trip from Traralgon to Darwin, not that it would have taken much.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

The_Saint wrote:No longer relevant but the LP gas refill it mentions would be for cooking. Gas cylinders can be refilled at many petrol stations and depending on amount needed about AU$15-30. The vehicle itself uses petrol.

If you do come to Australia and more importantly if you come to Tasmania (the best part of Australia) hit me up.
Ah, cool, thank you for the information.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Just remember to check out for spies.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Huh?
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Bad Team Fortress 2 joke?